It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do Blind People Know What They Look Like?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Dumb question but it has been bothering me for a while. How does a blind person see themselves? What does a human look like to a blind person? Please help me with this.

Edit: blind from birth. I forgot to add that.
edit on 21-12-2013 by catfishjoe because: forgot something

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by catfishjoe

It depends whether they've been blind from birth.
I'd suspect that a person who has never seen would have a completely different way of difining what something looks like. For example, they have no reference for colours!

ETA: There's a blind lady who had an NDE, and she says she was able to see herself while out of her body, she says she knew it was her because she recognised the ring on her finger, so maybe blind people do have a reasonable idea of what things look like.

edit on 21-12-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
1. First it depends on whether or not the lights are on.
2. They feel themselves up.

edit on 21-12-2013 by Mamatus because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-12-2013 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

VoidHawk
reply to post by catfishjoe

It depends whether they've been blind from birth.
I'd suspect that a person who has never seen would have a completely different way of difining what something looks like. For example, they have no reference for colours!

ETA: There's a blind lady who had an NDE, and she says she was able to see herself while out of her body, she says she knew it was her because she recognised the ring on her finger, so maybe blind people do have a reasonable idea of what things look like.

edit on 21-12-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

Thank you...I forgot to say blind at birth!!

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

catfishjoe
Dumb question but it has been bothering me for a while. How does a blind person see themselves? What does a human look like to a blind person? Please help me with this.

Edit: blind from birth. I forgot to add that.
edit on 21-12-2013 by catfishjoe because: forgot something

Why would they need to?

Is this something that is important to you? and therefore think that would be important to a blind person.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by iamea

Is it important?? Not really.

Just curious. Thanks for the thought provoking reply.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
By touching themselves.

No not there.

Well…

Yeah they know how their other bits look too.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
But feeling and touching doesn't really give you a good.....view? And what about skin color?

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

catfishjoe
But feeling and touching doesn't really give you a good.....view? And what about skin color?

What about ANY colour.

What is blue to someone who has never seen it, compared to red? Or green? Or yellow compared to orange?

A blind person would have no idea what you are referring to.

But I believe that everyone looks like Shrek to a blind person. A grey Shrek.

A blind man and a deaf man walk in a forest and a tree falls...... oO

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Do blind people dream in color? or do they see at all in their dreams?
edit on 26am12America/Chicagoam by iamea because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Everything in context. I don't think every blind person shares the same idea. It would be based on their experience.

Try an experiment. Have a friend identify something you have likely never seen before. Have you friend describe it to you and allow yourself to hold and feel it. After you're finished remove the blindfold (don't look at the item) and grab a piece of paper and try to draw it. How close were you? Go a step further have two people try it and see how close you are with the same conclusion.

Then for context imagine you were blind and never seen a human. Put your accuracy of the experiment into your assumption of a human. Of course note that as a human, even blind, you are still intimately familiar with yourself so I'd imagine you would be even more accurate.
edit on 22-12-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Who is the master who makes the grass green?

ETA: I'm sure that many people would think to themselves, "What a silly question catfishjoe has posed"...
Personally, I see it as being very indicative of a higher 'Zen' thought process taking place. Rather than ponder whether or not you should buy the new iPhone or wondering who will win the Super Bowl, your thoughts lean towards the philosophical. What is their reality tunnel?

There is no objective reality separate from us

edit on 22-12-2013 by sageturkey because: Add

top topics

join