It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did GLAAD mess with the wrong duck? Could this be a tipping point in the culture wars?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

muse7

beezzer

muse7
I still don't understand why there's outrage about this whole thing. No one's right to free speech is being taken away. Mr. Robertson is free to say that he wants every day and anytime he wants, he is not being punished and is not being imprisoned for it.

It is A&E's right to fire him for his behavior just like my employer has the right to fire me if I start acting rude or start to insult our customers.

This guy thinks blacks were treated just fine during the Jim Crow era, and that they lived happy lives in the South during that era...

Looks like conservatives found their new hero...move aside george zimmerman!
edit on 12/21/2013 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

To put it in context,

I may disagree with what you said. So I am going to contact ATS and get you banned.

You're still free to comment, but you will be punished, because I disagree with what you say.

Doesn't ATS have terms and conditions? I know if you talk about certain subjects or use profanity they will ban you.

Your analogy ain't even close
edit on 12/22/2013 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

Imagine if every time someone said Chemtrail believers were wrong they got instantly attacked and banned by ATS. Imagine if every time someone said ET UFO's did not exist they were attack and banned.

Is that the community you want to be a part of? It's what GLAAD wants. GLAAD wants people to be SCARED to publicly say anything contrary to their belief that homosexuality is good and normal. Anyone who does so, even respectfully, is to be attacked into submission, and not just them, ALL known associates are to also be attacked into submission.

Wonderful world right?

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

beezzer

muse7

Doesn't ATS have terms and conditions? I know if you talk about certain subjects or use profanity they will ban you.

It's actually right on the mark.

If your opinion offends me, and I complain to ATS and they ban you because your opinion offended me (without you breaking T&C) then it's almost identical.

You're exactly right Beez. If they hadn't raised such a stink A&E wouldn't have done anything to Phil. I posted videos yesterday of Phil saying the same thing even before DD. A&E was aware he had these views previously but they were ok with it until GLAAD acted like the Heart Queen.... Off With His Head.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

muse7

beezzer

muse7
I still don't understand why there's outrage about this whole thing. No one's right to free speech is being taken away. Mr. Robertson is free to say that he wants every day and anytime he wants, he is not being punished and is not being imprisoned for it.

It is A&E's right to fire him for his behavior just like my employer has the right to fire me if I start acting rude or start to insult our customers.

This guy thinks blacks were treated just fine during the Jim Crow era, and that they lived happy lives in the South during that era...

Looks like conservatives found their new hero...move aside george zimmerman!

To put it in context,

I may disagree with what you said. So I am going to contact ATS and get you banned.

You're still free to comment, but you will be punished, because I disagree with what you say.

Imagine if every time someone said Chemtrail believers were wrong they got instantly attacked and banned by ATS. Imagine if every time someone said ET UFO's did not exist they were attack and banned.

Is that the community you want to be a part of? It's what GLAAD wants. GLAAD wants people to be SCARED to publicly say anything contrary to their belief that homosexuality is good and normal. Anyone who does so, even respectfully, is to be attacked into submission, and not just them, ALL known associates are to also be attacked into submission.

Wonderful world right?

I don't care what GLAAD wants or thinks.

You are free to say anything you want, it's up to you to decide whether something you say might have consequences.

With free speech comes responsibility. Apparently this dude is bright enough to have started his own business and become a millionaire, but not bright enough to have thought this out and refrain from saying the things he said.

It's just a case of opening your mouth without thinking first.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

muse7

beezzer

muse7

If your opinion offends me, and I complain to ATS and they ban you because your opinion offended me (without you breaking T&C) then it's almost identical.

No it's not actually.

If I start acting rude towards customers and insulting them, then my employer has every right to terminate me.

It's common sense

If the dude was imprisoned for what he said then you might actually have a point, but he's still free and can say anything he wants.

Wrong again. I'm not asking to have you imprisoned. I just want you punished for having a different opinion than mine.

Ergo; banning you from ATS because you disagree with me.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

maus80

beezzer
Timothy 6:10
King James Version (KJV)
10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Money isn't the root of all evil.

The love of money is the root of all evil.

Wrong. Jesus made it very clear, more than once, that he believed the accumulation of wealth and material things to be an evil form of greed. It couldn't be more clear.

"But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort."
Luke 6:20

Does this mean there are very, very few on Earth who are true followers of the teachings of Jesus? Yes, I'm sure, but that doesn't make his teachings any less obvious.

Good counter point.

An appropriate answer may take some time.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   

beezzer

muse7

beezzer

muse7

No it's not actually.

If I start acting rude towards customers and insulting them, then my employer has every right to terminate me.

It's common sense

If the dude was imprisoned for what he said then you might actually have a point, but he's still free and can say anything he wants.

Wrong again. I'm not asking to have you imprisoned. I just want you punished for having a different opinion than mine.

Ergo; banning you from ATS because you disagree with me.

Which opinion?

That I think blacks were happier under Jim Crow laws? Or that homosexuals are just like people that are into bestiality?

You don't see how A&E's business would be affected if they continued to affiliate themselves with someone that has those opinions?

I'm afraid your analogy is way off the mark little rabbit.

ATS is not my employer, I'm not employed by them.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

muse7Which opinion?

That I think blacks were happier under Jim Crow laws? Or that homosexuals are just like people that are into bestiality?

Awesome, are we playing the game "what two things did Phil NOT say?"

Because Phil never said either of those things.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

muse7Which opinion?

Nope

We are playing the "things you should really really really avoid to discuss in public when you work in the entertainment business with an audience in the millions."

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

A&E's business is being affected because they knuckled under to GLAAD.

You are basically supporting banning based on a difference of ideas.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   

maus80Wrong. Jesus made it very clear, more than once, that he believed the accumulation of wealth and material things to be an evil form of greed. It couldn't be more clear.

"But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort."
Luke 6:20

Does this mean there are very, very few on Earth who are true followers of the teachings of Jesus? Yes, I'm sure, but that doesn't make his teachings any less obvious.

Wrong. Way to take something out of context and deprive it of all it's meaning.

Luk 6:25
Woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry. Woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep.

I hope you haven't eaten today.

Or you can look at the verse in context, and figure out what is being said.

Nail in coffin ..

Ecc 5:19
Moreover, when God gives someone wealth and possessions, and the ability to enjoy them, to accept their lot and be happy in their toil—this is a gift of God.

I seem to recall some guy named Solomon that was very wealthy .. guess he is going to Hell according to you though.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by muse7

I think you are putting words in Muse7's mouth. I don't want to do the same thing, but I honestly don't think Muse would support the idea of banning anyone from tv. Being fired for is not the same as being banned.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Thanks for the addition and expansion of that aspect.

I was lacking in knowledge on that issue.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   

muse7

OccamsRazor04

muse7Which opinion?

Nope

We are playing the "things you should really really really avoid to discuss in public when you work in the entertainment business with an audience in the millions."

Great. Phil did not say either of those things. So what do you have a problem with? Apparently you have to invent lies to support your liberal bias.

Just an FYI .. the audience is supporting Phil, not GLAAD. GLAAD is saying they have never witnessed negativity like this directed at them from American citizens who support free speech (don't even all agree with Phil).

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

maus80

beezzer
reply to post by muse7

I think you are putting words in Muse7's mouth. I don't want to do the same thing, but I honestly don't think Muse would support the idea of banning anyone from tv. Being fired for is not the same as being banned.

Phil is free to "join" another channel, (site) if he chooses.

He just got "banned" from A&E because of his opinion.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Ok first off: "I hope you haven't eaten today." Wait, wait...wait. WHEN did I say I was a Christian? puh-lease.

Secondly, you are giving me quotes from, and talking about a guy from, The Old Testament. I was specifically referencing the teachings of Jesus Christ. Once again, he was very clear on the subject, more than once.

edit on 22-12-2013 by maus80 because: grammar errors

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

beezzer

maus80

beezzer
reply to post by muse7

Yeah let's see how long he lasts in another network if he continues spouting off the same things.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

beezzer

Thanks for the addition and expansion of that aspect.

I was lacking in knowledge on that issue.

People who teach God wants us to be wealthy are flat out lying, God does not want us to be wealthy. Simply BEING wealthy is not anti-Christian, and there is zero backing for that position from the Bible. It IS however a big burden and stumbling block, and God does not desire us to be burdened, so God does not desire us all to be wealthy.

I have known more than a few very wealthy people, and I would not wish the unhappiness of their lives on anyone. Very few of them were happy.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

maus80

Ok first off: "I hope you haven't eaten today." Wait, wait...wait. WHEN did I say I was a Christian? puh-lease.

Secondly, you are giving me quotes from, and talking about a guy from, The Old Testament. I was specifically referencing the teachings of Jesus Christ. Once again, he was very clear on the subject, more than once.

edit on 22-12-2013 by maus80 because: grammar errors

Ummm .. I quoted the very next verse after the verse YOU quoted. So try again. The fact you are not a Christian is telling as you have zero idea what the Bible, or Jesus, is talking about.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

muse7

beezzer

maus80

beezzer
reply to post by muse7

Yeah let's see how long he lasts in another network if he continues spouting off the same things.

That's the great thing about freedom of speech.

No-one is required to listen.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   

muse7

beezzer

maus80

beezzer
reply to post by muse7

Viewers are free to watch or not watch, that is how it should be. It should not be a group that doesn't like what he says so they try to destroy him and anyone else who won't kowtow to them.

I have no problem with everyone in America saying "damn, I refuse to watch that now".

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join