It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Convention of the States... Is it time?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I think we can all, regardless of party affiliation, agree that our government works as well as trying to fix a toilet leak with a 7-iron and a bag of marbles... and they have lost their marbles...

It is becoming more blatantly obvious that the federal government is totally out of control. Between unbridled spending, endless regulations, and ever expanding taxes, the federal government has shown that it only cares about its own power. With the massive power it holds, the abuses are endless and the corruption practically absolute. Sometimes congress tries to get things under control, but always fail.

No partisanship... it's all broken...

Maybe it is time for a Convention of the States...

Our Founders were geniuses when they set up the Constitution. We have amended the Constitution a number of times, the same way, but there is also another way that has not been used yet. Article V of the Constitution authorizes the state legislatures to call a convention for the limited purpose of proposing amendments to the Constitution. This was put in Constitution because the Founders knew there would be a chance that the federal government would become too powerful and unable to control itself. We are well beyond that point and need to act.

What say you, ATSers? Can this actually happen?

Source

conventionofstates.com... " target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Convention of States website

edit on 21-12-2013 by madmac5150 because: Can't sleep, the clowns will eat me... Can't sleep, the clowns will eat me... Can't sleep, the clowns will eat me... Can't sleep, the clowns will eat me...

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

We do live in terribly interesting times very uncertain times, somehow one way or another something got to give whether for the better or worse, somethings going to give. I do not like any form of governance but I don't necessarily think the states having a convention would be a bad thing, its only to have a convention to amend the constitution (if that's how that read correctly) might be a little shaky what would they change?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

If it were me, I would start with firm term limits... none grandfathered... I sincerely believe that our founding fathers would be OK with it as well. Get rid of the career politicians; that is where 95% of our problems could be solved really damned quick...

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
It is that time. It may even be to late. The changes that need to take place are drastic, the pain will be great. In a society conditioned to abhor pain and avoid it at all costs, saving this ship is a tall order indeed.

I ask you, what would you like to see changed in the constitution?

Edit: I see you answered my question, and I agree. That's a good start. But more may be needed...
edit on 12 21 2013 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

caterpillage
It is that time. It may even be to late. The changes that need to take place are drastic, the pain will be great. In a society conditioned to abhor pain and avoid it at all costs, saving this ship is a tall order indeed.

Look straight up

Think we posted at the same time

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I would like to think yes, but I'm afraid the can has been kicked a little too far down the road.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

madmac5150

caterpillage

Lol, we are on the same page, timing included.

Things cannot continue as they are. That much is becoming apparent even to the sheep among us. We as a people need to step up.

Look straight up

Think we posted at the same time

Man my phone messed this up bad lol
edit on 12 21 2013 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Yes it is time. As this seems to be your project being as how you started the thread....

How do you purpose getting the states together and who should be the delegates to get the "Change" ball rolling?

It's a monstrous ambition to change anything in a corporatacracy. Perhaps we should start where the real power resides....but how?

edit on 21-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

On "December 13, 2013" I POST'd the following: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think that we're looking TOO HARD at the federal level ... ( seems like a HUGE WASTE of Time and Effort to me ).

I think it's time to focus our "time and effort"(s) back to the individual states. The "states" have more power (especially when the states work together) than "We the People" realize.

Summary: Support and Empower YOUR State !!!

edit on 21-12-2013 by FarleyWayne because: Sometimes you just have to ... "Fall Back Before Leaping Forward"

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

olaru12

Yes it is time. As this seems to be your project being as how you started the thread.

How do you purpose getting the states together and who should be the delegates to get the "Change" ball rolling?

The only real way is to do it on a local level... by contacting your state representatives and put pressure on your respective Governors...

and the thought of me organizing anything more than my socks... sheesh... I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone

Sorry I didn't catch your comment in time Farly... I would have quoted you thusly:

I think it's time to focus our "time and effort"(s) back to the individual states. The "states" have more power (especially when the states work together) than "We the People" realize. Summary: Support and Empower YOUR State !!!

Well stated

edit on 21-12-2013 by madmac5150 because: Can't sleep, the clowns will eat me... Can't sleep, the clowns will eat me... Can't sleep, the clowns will eat me... Can't sleep, the clowns will eat me...

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

madmac5150

olaru12

Yes it is time. As this seems to be your project being as how you started the thread.

The only real way is to do it on a local level... by contacting your state representatives and put pressure on your respective Governors...

Well, I've done that. Trying to get state money to help entrepreneurs get their project off the drawing board and into actual operation...seem simple enough right? Guess what kind of response I got?

And on a local local level, I contacted the city counsel to fill a pot hole in the road leading to my neighbor hood. That was in 2009 and after many calls, emails, speaking in council meetings about fixing the goddamn thing.....we eventually filled it up with gravel at my and a couple of my neighbors personal expense.

I guess you can tell my optimism and hope for change is at a low point right now!
edit on 21-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

olaru12

madmac5150

olaru12

Well, I've done that. Trying to get state money to help entrepreneurs get their project off the drawing board and into actual operation...seem simple enough right? Guess what kind of response I got?

Unfortunately that is where it is on all of us, individually, to get our friends to start making calls, and their friends etc... One or two lone cries in the wilderness will never provoke any action, but a loud flying fecal funnel cloud of "we are so pissed off" might get their attention...

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Assuming a convention was successful in altering or abolishing the federal government, what would they replace it with? The same thing with a different label on it.

I suppose that would be unfortunately appropriate in our culture of consumerism. Americans love a new brand of the same old useless crap. Are you going to get rid of banks? Abandon the idea of money? Cease engaging in coerced morality? Stop destroying our environment? Stop using us like animals?

If the plan doesn't include affirmative answers to those questions I won't have anything to do with it, as it would represent no substantive (and positive) social change whatever. However I don't think it's possible for any of that to happen without the complete and definitive collapse of civilization as we know it... and in that case all bets are off.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Personally I think it's time to have the president appointed by the congress, Merge the House and Senate into a single body, and then put term limits of 20 years on the supreme court.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Is it time? No.

Right now the country is split into 3. Those who identify themselves as Republicans, those who identify themselves as Democrats, and everyone else, including those who don't vote. Those who lean one way or another have been taught to vote based by party, instead of by issues, while those who don't lean either way are in a minority.

This has led to representatives who say what we want to hear, then bow down to those with the money. If we hold a convention, it is those same representatives who will be sent to determine the fate of our country. In all likelihood all it would result in is a rewriting of the Constitution, and it won't be in favor of the citizens.

To truly change this country, we need to look at a generational change, and not a fast one. We need to start educating our children, and our children's children, and so on to think for themselves. To question those who are in power. To verify information instead of relying on it from one source. We need to teach them to take an active role in politics, from the local level on up. If we can do this, it will cause a fundamental shift in the government, leading to a better country.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
33 states already met on december7 at mt. Vernon. To discuss how the process would work. They are planning to meet again sometime in June or July.

The constitution can not be "abolished" under article5.
Even if that was the goal, it would take 38 states to ratify.
There can't be a runaway convention either, for that same reason.

There is a great book on this subject called "the liberty amendments"
Written by a "real" constitutional lawyer. Mark Levin.

He proposes 11 amendments that would really kick the government in the gut.

Repealing the 17th amendment.
Term limits for congress and the courts.
Spending and taxing limits.
To name a few.
One I really like is, 3/5 of the states can vote to overturn a law passed by congress.
3/5 of the states can overturn a Supreme Court decision.
3/5 of the states can throw out a regulation sent down from on high from the executive branch.

We can either take away their power, or submit, like good little Marxist sheep.

As for me. |
|
|
/
edit on 22-12-2013 by bjax9er because: Edit

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

madmac5150

You know, I hear this all the time. I think it was Tip O'neill who once said "All politics is local," a phrase that has been repeated over and over, especially among our modern day TP/GOP who endlessly blame the federal government for all their woes. Now how ironic is that?

These are my questions; If all politics are local, then why do you continually blame the feds for everything wrong in your life?

Is it the federal government that won't fix the potholes in your neighborhoods?

Is it the federal government that goes around offering tax abatements for companies to locate in your state and passing the associated cost off on the taxpaying citizens? (This strategy pits state against state in a mad race to see who can get to the bottom first, all the while robbing the state's coffers of much needed revenue thereby leaving it up to the state's taxpaying citizens to make up the difference.)

Was it the federal government that drove my property taxes up from $500 annually 20 yrs. ago to $2,600 today? (None of which goes to the federal government)

Is it the federal government that's going around initiating repressive voter I.D. laws in your state?

Is it the federal government that's going around closing women's health clinics in your state?

Is it the federal government that's attempting to limit your choice to marry who you choose?

Was it the federal government that instituted the Nazi like "Papers please" statutes in Arizona?

And those are just a few!

It's been my experience that the most repressive initiatives are coming from the state & local level right now, but the only thing I hear coming from people such as yourself is a call to eliminate the federal government.

What a joke!

If "All politics are local," then why not call for the elimination of the actual problem, which is state & local governments currently under the control of the TP/GOP?

That's not to say that we don't have problems at the federal level, but that doesn't justify blaming the federal government for all your problems when in fact most of those problems come from the state & local governments.

Reminds me of the guy who was all up in arms claiming the federal government shut down his car wash business in Alabama or Mississippi. (I can't remember which) As it turned out, he owned a topless carwash business that was shut down by a city ordinance adopted at the "local level" and the feds had absolutely noting to do with it. (An ordinance that I too would have supported by the way.)

If you really want to fix the problem, maybe you should wake up and take a closer look at just who is really responsible.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Well OP, I believe your talking about a Consitutional Convention being called where, quite literally, the whole document is up for debate and re-write...in theory. As well as adding new things to it.

Of course.. there is one tiny little catch to all that... Population doesn't play anymore. I mean, where the Electoral College can determine a leader of our nation by overwhelming population imbalance among states, alone? The Convention would be the great equalizer. Frankly, it would likely go very very badly for the Liberal mindset and world view. Why? Well.. If STATES by voting number become what matters?

That map represents control of the House of Representatives for the United States, last year. The House serves on 2 year terms and alternates for voting those, so you essentially have 50% of the entire House up for re-election OR removal every other election.

That, as many will recognize, is the Presidential election map for 2012 by individual county majority vote. In a Presidential election, that RADICAL imbalance is WHY we have the electoral college. So no majority of low population states can dictate to the fewer large ones ..and the large ones cannot lord over the majority through population concentration alone.

^^ All that really matters to note because if I were a Partisan hack, I'd be 100% behind this idea. My "side" for general world view can almost not lose here and much would be settled in due course and in some ways, right over the top of the lesser number of states with the Metro areas.

AND THAT....is why I'll never support it in this atmosphere and in these conditions. It could never be fair. No one would even pretend to try and make it fair ..and the fact "my side" might win by quirks of how it works is no better than being on the losing side of the reverse. It's still one side with a political advantage to dictate to the other.

No Constitutional Conventions in my opinion....until or unless we can live one day without national focus being, in some form, directed by Political division and rancor.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

No Constitutional Conventions in my opinion....until or unless we can live one day without national focus being, in some form, directed by Political division and rancor.

Perhaps we can rally the "decent folk" eh.....Senor Conejo

edit on 22-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Though I don't believe that it will ever happen (at least not in my lifetime), I feel it is WAY past time for the people to do something about the current state of the Government and those that run it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join