It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are your Avatar, or are you?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

"You are your Avatar, or are you?"

Why, YES I am!

I just wanted it to be me, the way I am, (rather than what I'd like to be), but looking a bit paranoid, and rambling! to reflect the general mood here on ATS.

I think that people definitely relate to, and associate with the avatar (in the absence of an image) of the person, and I felt more comfortable with people seeing the real me, rather than a fantasy version.

Great topic for a thread btw. Loads of psychology going on!!!

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
During a particularly frustrating stretch of debate on ATS, I employed my favorite avatar of all-time. But alas, it was removed to help me grow as a person... but I never really got an explanation as to what section of the T&Cs it violated.

Anyhow, I thought it was funny, but others did not.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

That was pretty funny.
2nd

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Fun thread!

I did not make my avatar, it was given to me by someone through Iamchist. I was not told who worked on it.

I really like it, as it is an image of Galadriel from the Hobbit I believe. I chose the avatar name of Galadriel because I feel she is a powerful, wise, sometimes even scary elfin witch of the woods, of the moon and night, of the forest and the enchanted realms.

I have always been a lover of the woods, the trees, the faery world of dreams, poetry and song, of moonlight and stars. I have squooshed a lot of who I am really down deep inside, and hidden it from the workday world. I am perceptive, intuitive, an empath, a healer, a poetess, and dreamer...I used to be brimming with femininity and had a magical way of being in the world. But I got a boatload of pain and hurt and loss -- and fear -- and have lost a lot of that side of me. I seem practical and nose to the grindstone-like now, kinda boring, busy, tired, weak and strong at the same time (I guess I assume that's how people in my life see me now).

I have lost or buried my intense connection to animals and nature. I used to "know" things easily and effortlessly. I used to have precognition and clairvoyance. I used to walk around so sure of the unseen and my connection to it. I still love animals and being in nature, but I don't have the deep, mystical connection I once did. I lost a lot of faith, in others, in myself, in the meaning of life.

Yet, I chose Galadriel as a symbol of what I'd like to reclaim about myself.

Not sure how others "perceive" me via this avatar name or image. Maybe they think I'm just a big nerdy LOTR fan or a wannabe elf
Maybe they don't know or care who "Galadriel" is and assume I'm supposed to be a fairy or princess or something.

I would like to have a couple alternative avatars to change up once in awhile, but I can't seem to get my avatar pics to work. Would like to sometimes have a pic of trees or butterflies...or my totem animals - wolf and hawk. Just to reflect my changing mood. But since I'm not handy with the whole avatar building part - I guess I'll stay Galadriel in name and image for now.

It is really funny though, that how I looked when I was in my late 20s is sort of how my avatar looks, so at times it feels to me that I am using my own self image -- and I feel "exposed" as if someone could actually recognize me. But, I am not in my 20s and not quite so "thin" as my avatar, so I guess I'm safe from being id-ed.

But I know somewhere inside me, I still live. Somewhere I am that wise and powerful woman who is connected to the tree spirits and can read the waters.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Now I feel stupid...

does this make me a nobody?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Iv'e been naked since the day I joined, by they way what is an avatar?
Personally I like the feel of the wind on my plain body. :-)

Fun thread to read and S&F is in order for bringing some pleasant reading to all here.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I personally took the picture in my avatar. Other than cleaning up the picture, it's practically unedited and no special effects used with my mobile phone. It looks like from space eh?

Actually, it's from the passenger window view of a 747 jet from 35,000 ft over the Pacific Ocean off the coast of LA, California....

....Not necessarily a jolly sight, you see..

..I was flying home from my first trip overseas. Couple of days after I arrived, the USA announced a full blown recession (2008). The company I visited in Atlanta, GA, sacked many of its employees.
edit on 24-12-2013 by ahnggk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
This is me:

Along with this one:

Along with the blue wolf which I will be wearing again once the holiday is over

And for those ultra feminine moods this is me: (although I don't wear it much because it is a bit risky)

I am all of these, and yes, I believe all of them represent me.. slightly wild, exceedingly loyal, loving, intelligent, sexy, angelic at times... and did I mention wild?

How others view me... I haven't a clue!
edit on 24-12-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

'nuff said...

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

OpinionatedB
This is me:....

...And for those ultra feminine moods this is me: (although I don't wear it much because it is a bit risky)

A wee bit cauld for that outfit at this time o' year!!!

Merry Christmas!
G

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

never mind... I wont be mean on open forum! its christmas after all... lol
edit on 24-12-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
My avatar I think reflects a large potion of me. Like a Dawg, I'm always inquisitive and sticking my nose where it doesn't belong and am prone to doing embarrassing things all the while not realizing it until it's to late.

I'm innocent I tell ya!
edit on 24-12-2013 by TDawgRex because: Spelling....What can I say, my paws have no opposable thumbs

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
It took me a while to figure out how to post an avatar, and once I finally did, the image of the woman with ravens stuck with me. Ravens have always been a totem of mine, and I've always been fascinated by the mid to late 1800's, so it feels like a good fit for me. I'm very visual, so I think there are a number of images that would have worked well for me, but this one felt right for ATS.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I'm not sure what my avatar says about me, but we do have some things in common.

We are both approximately the same size,

we both are a little awkward and not very attractive,

and neither one of us have ever shot a US president.

OK, well.....

Probably have never shot a US president.
edit on 12/26/13 by 404ed because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/26/13 by 404ed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Wrabbit, your thread needs more Richard Nixon in it.

So is this something others have considered or adjusted their Avatars based on? Is your choice tied directly to the image you wish to project or balance you're looking to find?

I always have Nixon on my avatar but sometimes I switch to a graphic for a short time, but always back to RN. The kids these days need to know about him and how he shaped the world they live in, e.g. China and the Middle East. Nixon is very underrated in history, the connections go back to WW2, the fast track Navy promotions, the influence of Howard Hughes and Operation Paperclip, Alger Hiss, the Checkers Speech, JFK, Dallas, Viet Nam, the Apollo moon landings, Mary Jo Kopechne, Diamonds Are Forever, Nixon has a rich legacy in the characters he played in the realm of Cold War conspiracies!

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join