It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm coming out today.....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This is awkward for me.......

I don't know how I'll be treated after this.........

Will people view me differently........

My family have always had pretty strict views on this........

But, I think they probably have already figured it out.......

Will I become a disappointment to my loved ones.......

Will I be an outcast to my friends.......

Will they think I have thought about having a relationship with them after I say this (Eww)........

I can do this......

When the time is right.....

But the time never seems right............................................................................................

Ok, here it goes......... I am ............ Straight!

Now, before you get excited, I am serious here. Straight people never have to make this announcement. We never have to have these questions run through our mind. We never have to hold our breathe in anticipation of spitting out a life changing confession, only to find the moment "isn't right".

I am MAD that my very close friends and family have had to carry this burden on their shoulders for YEARS. This secret eating away at them. They are unable to be their true self in the presence of loved ones for fear of rejection. IT ISN"T FAIR!

It isn't fair to me that they have kept this secret from me. It isn't fair that they have had to keep the secret. And, it isn't fair that now I feel like I need to defend them to the outside ignorant world.

Why must we have these divides in our culture? Will we look back in 50 years and remember this era as our grandparents remember the Black Civil Rights Movement? What then will be the cause of our divide? What will be the next group of people we single out? Why must we do this to ourselves? We as a whole are a bunch of bullies!

So, now you know. I am straight. Though if you ask anyone who knew me in my teenage years, they might disagree with that statement.

If you would like to come out today, if only on a thread in ATS, I urge you to please get the weight off of your shoulders. You shouldn't have to carry it, IT ISN'T FAIR!

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I feel this thread sets the wrong tone for a very serious issue.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It may, I don't know. I am honestly not trying to make light of the situation. I just had a very long heart to heart with a friend, (who came out to me after years), and I needed to vent.

I honestly just want/need for people to understand that we are only hurting ourselves bickering over people's sexual orientation. It sucks.

Respect to you.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

How do you know you are straight?

I used to hate raw fish until I tried it. It was delish!

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Good for you OP. This is a very serious and sometimes touchy subject. I have to empathize with those who are gay and live in families who they fear will reject them should they come out. It's tragic and drives many young people to suicidal thoughts and depression.

Take note parents: try as you might to force your sexual orientation it may not happen. Always let your children know you love them no matter what - AND MEAN IT! It also helps if you in your daily life don't criticize others for their choice and let your kids know that such matters are a personal choice and it's ok to be different.

I'm sure that for the most part in the future we will be able to look back and wonder what the fuss was all about.
We have far more serious issues facing us as people and hopefully this will fade in the background like a bad dream.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Okay. I wasn't sure what your intentions were, but I knew it rubbed me wrong...I often strike people exactly the same way, so I do understand.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

edit on 12/21/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Go back in you fool, youll be ostrichised.....
Sex is a highly over rated subject that the whole system uses to control its subjects....
All this coming out crap is getting as tiring as the closet people who haven't the jam to be what they think they are.....
Wheres the Bronco Billy show now?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

I probably should refrain from falling into this trap, but see the comment in the OP ahead of the

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Well said,

When I was a teenager my 19 year old brother started taking medication, he told us that he had high blood pressure so naturally, my parents were worried about him. I didn't really understand because I was still a child, but a couple of years later my parents found out that my brother was gay, he didn't tell them, the discovery was an accident.

My brother had moved out of the family home and got his own flat, by himself as far as we were aware, but when my mum or dad would ring the land line, occasionally another man would answer but just tell them they'd got the wrong number. After this had happened a 3rd time, my brother took the phone and just came out with it, he told my dad he was gay and then hung up because he was scared of how my parents would react.

My parents went round to his flat to reassure my brother that it didn't make any difference at all to them, but they did admit it was a shock to them as they hadn't suspected a thing. My brother admitted that the medication he was taking was really for depression, I think this made my parents feel bad as they hadn't realised what was going on with their son.

It upset me greatly that he felt depressed about who he was, he had nothing to be ashamed of but because of the society we have been brought up in he felt it was easier to keep it quiet, but it just made him draw into himself.

I feel in a way that some religious beliefs are largely responsible for peoples unfair views of people who are gay, they have been indoctrinated and if they were to actually question their beliefs they would probably find that they are being unreasonable

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I couldn't agree more with what you have said here! I know a person who is gay, but will NEVER tell his parents. He loves them and doesn't want to hurt them. Who eases his suffering though? It is sad to think his parents will never truly get to know the real him.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

No worries.

I suffered a moments hesitation posting this for fear of being flamed. I can't imagine what it would be like to suffer that for years.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thanks Tenth! You put a smile back on my face!

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Be who you are.

Be the best person you can be.

Be honest. Be true. Be honorable. Be right.

I got your back if anyone says any different.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I can't go back now! I'm out and I have to live with it! Honestly though, it is sad that we have to judge one another on who we love. Is it not just enough to have love in our lives. Now a person has to defend or hide it.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Minnie1985

Tragic Minnie, tragic. I am glad that your brother is now able to live as himself though. I also hope that getting the burden off of his chest has lessened the need for the depression meds.

Thank you for sharing your touching story.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Thanks Beez! You let me know if anyone picks on you for being furry and I got yours. Isn't amazing how we can all be so diverse on ATS but still be friends.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Doodle19815
reply to post by beezzer

Thanks Beez! You let me know if anyone picks on you for being furry and I got yours. Isn't amazing how we can all be so diverse on ATS but still be friends.

Stand tall little brother.

Never be ashamed of who you are. You are a person with thoughts, goals, dreams.
Embrace them.

And trust me, I'll be on anyone who says different like white on rice.

edit on 21-12-2013 by beezzer because: spelling

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

You put that so well.
Isn't it enough that people find someone to love?
A very wise friend once told me "love is never wrong".
She was so very right.
edit on 21-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

If you would like to come out today, if only on a thread in ATS, I urge you to please get the weight off of your shoulders.

I don't recommend anyone coming out on ATS! The current Christian Conservative direction that ATS has taken would only open you up to further abuse, ridicule, derision and hateful comments. You won't find much support or comfort here!!

I offer as evidence of the trend, all the Duck Dynasty threads.

The "people like you" comments would astonish and dismay anyone coming out.

There is no tolerance left on any subject. It's all just competition and agenda now....

Sorry that's just the way I see it.
edit on 21-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join