It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Right-Wing Group Seeks Help Rewriting the Bible Because It's Not Conservative Enough

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

TheWrightWing
The same word can have syntactically different meanings in the context of a given sentence.

In one, it may mean "defile" in another "destroy".

in the sentence we're looking at, it should be obvious that the two halves of the sentence are meant to be parallel.
"You do something to me, I will do the same thing back to you", the "same thing", in this case, being "destroy".
And it seems obvious enough to me that those translators made no deliberate decision to assign two different meanings to the same word.
Rather, they worked from the AV in that verse, decided to modernise one of the words, and did not even realise that the Greek original matched another word in the same sentence.

I will give them credit for one thing, though.
At least they avoided the classic mistake of "The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not understood it". I checked that one too.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

TheWrightWing
I'm not, I don't take it serious at all, you are mistaken.

I am responding to the leftist hysteria embodied by the existence of this thread, who are apparently taking it seriously.

Hence the leftist hysteria.

It's not leftist hysteria, it's just general all-round giggling. The absurdity of the project has been pointed by a wide range of pe ople.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

Lazarus Short
I took a look at the site in question, and saw that the work is to be done by "the best of the public." Really? I think at best, that that would lead to a rather ham-fisted version of the Bible. Rewording the KJV is...well I won't call it polishing a turd, but why rework it when there are much better versions out there, such as the Young's Literal? Too many people have the mindset that the KJV, and the KJV alone, is God's Word. No, it's a translation of God's Word, and an imperfect one at that. Again, as I said a few posts back, they've made the KJV into an idol.

I find it interesting that there are "versions" of the same, one absolute truth to begin with. If it's the absolute truth, there cannot be two versions of it or it is not absolute.

There is "one absolute truth," and that is the Bible in the original autographs, in the original language. As such, it would be letter perfect and mathematically perfect (yes, the Bible has an underlying number code). No translation, even the best, is perfect. All the argument and controversy concerns our opinions of what it really means. I, for instance, see the Bible, from one end to the other, as essentially a Love Story.

Good call, BTW, with your quotes from Deuteronomy and the Revelation!
edit on 21-12-2013 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

crazyewok

TheWrightWing

"Re-write" only appears in the breathlessly alarmed leftist OP, not on the project page itself, typical of leftist dishonesty.

Sorry why does everything have to be about left/right with you?

I never saw anything lefist.

Divide and conquer. It's a dominance complex.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Lazarus Short

AfterInfinity

Lazarus Short
I took a look at the site in question, and saw that the work is to be done by "the best of the public." Really? I think at best, that that would lead to a rather ham-fisted version of the Bible. Rewording the KJV is...well I won't call it polishing a turd, but why rework it when there are much better versions out there, such as the Young's Literal? Too many people have the mindset that the KJV, and the KJV alone, is God's Word. No, it's a translation of God's Word, and an imperfect one at that. Again, as I said a few posts back, they've made the KJV into an idol.

I find it interesting that there are "versions" of the same, one absolute truth to begin with. If it's the absolute truth, there cannot be two versions of it or it is not absolute.

There is "one absolute truth," and that is the Bible in the original autographs, in the original language. As such, it would be letter perfect and mathematically perfect (yes, the Bible has an underlying number code). No translation, even the best, is perfect. All the argument and controversy concerns our opinions of what it really means. I, for instance, see the Bible, from one end to the other, as essentially a Love Story.

I find myself repulsed by the nature of that system. It seems incredibly...self-defeating, in my eyes. Always reaching for a goal that can never be had for a cause that can never really be satisfied. Thanks for explaining though.
edit on 21-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Oh come on!

They translate "Jesus wept" into "Jesus burst into tears".

They couldn't even leave that simple and well known phrase alone.

Wept could mean anything, a little bit of crying, a rubbing of the eyes, a bursting into hysterical crying (which is what the phrase "Jesus burst into tears" means to me), or crying from laughter (which is what I would have gone with).
edit on 21-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Thecakeisalie
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I was unfortunate enough to spend time on "conservapedia" and it has some startling revelations:

-Feminists prefer pants over dresses because men wear pants

-E=mc2 is a nonsensical equation

-Homeschooling avoids vaccinations

And so forth. It also has rather titillating subjects such as "Quantifying open mindedness", "liberal creep" and "Mystery: why do non-conservatives exist?"

I would post the links but frankly this page doesn't need another hit.

Exactly do you really want these American wackos trying to translate it?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

OMG!! A LOLcat bible?

A MUST HAVE!!!!!

Too funny! *commences leftist hysterical LAUGHTER*

Thanks for that. Wish ai kan putz u appwawz.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I wasn't expecting this at all, but at the same time I'm not surprised.
Why is it believed that a modern political group somehow altered the Bible hundreds of years ago?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

EllaMarina
I wasn't expecting this at all, but at the same time I'm not surprised.
Why is it believed that a modern political group somehow altered the Bible hundreds of years ago?

It could well have been slightly.

But have a bunch of Far far right American nut jobs with there own agenda translate it, is not going help much.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

Hi, Ella!

Yeah, it's been altered for many centuries. By "modern" political groups for each age.

(post by AfterInfinity removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Yeah, we wouldn't want those crazy Americans touching anything (agreed, as it happens here)...After all...

That crazy English King James and his re-write of the Bible left no room for improvement. A master piece in it's polished form, indeed.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
So if its okay for the Conservative Bible Project to "retranslate" the original text to better fit their more conservative views and words and omit the "leftist" views that they don't agree with then I guess is okay for the the folks over at Queen James Bible to pretty much do EXACTLY the same thing. I mean if it's all about interpreting the original text of the bible to the English language, who the heck is to say who is right?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

You really don't act your age, you know that? But that's okay, you pull it off very well.

You want me to be all serious all the time?

Of course I "pull it off"!! I'm just, well,....me. All grown up and still able to laugh. (BTW, I don't LOOK my age, either!)

I have kids....they're in their 20s now. I pay attention, and I'm not some curmudgeonly old white-haired hunchback wearing nurse shoes and polyester. Mostly jeans and tees or hoodies; or jammy pants. I'm roughly the same age as Colbert and Stewart.

But, yeah, LOLcatz cracks me up. Husband and I look at it often when bored.

Also the Cheezbrgr Fails. And Engrish Funny.

Age does NOT kill a sense of humor....
When parents are in touch with their kids, they keep up with stuff.

I remember when I was teaching in the "alternative public school" for Severely Emotionally/Behaviorally Disordered students, they used to say, "You were a hippie, weren't you?" And laugh that I said, "Cool."

(Electrolytes are what plants crave. Also, BTW.)

edit on 12/21/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Yeah, we wouldn't want those crazy Americans touching anything (agreed, as it happens here)...After all...

You know what I mean
Not all you americans are crazy of course, but you have to admit when you do get crazy you really get bat poo, no holds bared crazy. You have the biggest buildings, the biggest volcanos, the biggest citys, the biggest military,the biggest canyons, the biggest steaks, the biggest debt so naturally you have the biggest crazys

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
dp
edit on 21-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

the biggest volcanos,
And let me tell, you, ewok, those were a BEEOTCH putting together!!!

LOL!!

(EDIT: I did not 'alert' on AftIn's post. Don't know why it was removed, and I was not offended by it. Sorry, back on topic now, folks.)

edit on 12/21/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

wildtimes

the biggest volcanos,
And let me tell, you, ewok, those were a BEEOTCH putting together!!!

LOL!!

Give it a few hours and some of the more dense right wingers on here will come along and say Obama put them there

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Of course I know what you mean.

After reading the site of this specific bunch of crazies? Oh...I agree in serious terms .. I wouldn't trust those people to re-write the safety pamphlet to properly use a crosswalk, let alone tinker with Scripture.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join