It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's top court lifts restrictions on prostitution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Canada’s Supreme Court struck down three of the country’s anti-prostitution laws on Friday, including bans on brothels and street solicitation, finding that they violated the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and violated sex workers’ safety.

Source

So, looks like another win for regulation! Law will be implemented next year in Canada to regulate the sex trade, which IMO, is definitely a good thing. I know this is a very moral 'grey area', but I think it's definitely a good thing that...

a) They have protection, rather than abuse (since it is usually not their fault that they end up in a situation where they have to trade self-respect for a living)
b) Money is not being given to organised criminals
c) Workers are tested so they do not spread STI's

Prostitution is something that has been going on for thousands of years, and it wont stop just because someone made a law. Why let it be in the hands of people who don't pay tax and are probably horrible people? This, to me, seems like it is the only sensible option. I'm not saying that it should be flashing in everyone's faces, but the back room in a strip club, a designated red light district etc etc, much better than the girl on the street corner doing it for her next hit.

What say you ATS? Legalisation of Prostitution, moral or immoral?

You decide!

-Metta
edit on 21-12-2013 by iRoyalty because: Forgot to source...

edit on 21-12-2013 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

I think it's a good idea. I don't find it particularly immoral and the only reason it's a detriment to society is because it's illegal and unregulated. It's not like crack where people are going to turn into crazies to get a fix and steal anything in sight.

Give the people that want to do it a legal avenue and waste less money on on busting them. New source of revenue. Testing would cut down on STDs.

I'm for it. I wouldn't partake personally, but I'm not clutching any pearls.
edit on 2120131220131 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Oldest profession in the world right? Government thinks they might as well get some taxes out of it.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
First, biological functions should not be judged as something moral or immoral.

Is it immoral for a cow to produce milk?

Is it immoral to have pregnant horses pee used to make meds?... And etc.

As someone said here, you can't hire a person to have sex for pleasure, but you can hire someone to have sex, film it and sell it to the world... go figure...

I'm just hoping Harper won't take this as a chance to harass people with new stricter laws, but that his government does what should have been done long ago, as in some European countries; a red-light district where people doing the profession might do it protected.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I feel like a lot of people agree that it is probably better to regulate it, however, it's not a subject that is brought up enough. We go on with our daily lives while people are abused on the streets.

I think people need to talk about this more.
edit on 21-12-2013 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Legalize it! What's the difference between a woman having sex with a man for a roof over their head or receiving cash in hand for sevices rendered? Nothing, except the one who got the cash doesn't have to put up with a husband 24/7!

Legalization of prostitution will make it safer for all parties involved- it will reduce abuse and spread of communicable diseases!

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I'm buyin' the first round...

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

iRoyalty
I feel like a lot of people agree that it is probably better to regulate it,

Oh, he77 no!
Let the government regulate?
Those two words shouldn't even be in the same sentence together.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Whoa now, with your logic it isn't wrong to kill because people die.

Back on topic, I'm currently in the process of filling my van with food and water. I don't plan on stopping until I'm in Canada. If anyone wants to join, let me know as I leave at the crack of noon!

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

Better than a crackhead regulating it, although that is probably up for debate

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

You probably just solved the mystery of this legislation...

"The Rob Ford Act"

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Already posted yesterday:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add to the discussion of the already existing thread. This one is closed.

In the future, use the Search feature. Search is your friend.

new topics

top topics

join