It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Liberal Atheist Agenda and the Denial of Self

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Unrestrained hedonism is simply wallowing in simple pleasures like a child who sees a piece of candy and eats it as soon as he sees it.

Now, I don't have any problem with people who see nothing more to life than that, but I do have a problem when a significant portion of the population think this is freedom and all there is to it.

True freedom means being the total master of your own destiny with all the pleasures and responsibilities that come with it. Too many today think it means trading off all the responsibility in return for what they perceive as more leisure to pursue their own pleasures or more hedonism. In other words, the hedonism is being used as the guilding on the cage and the bait.

There is a fable about a Wolf and a Dog. They are trying to turn us all into dogs and using the lure of a life of ease without worry or want to put the collar on. Hedonism has its uses for luring you in.

That's the problem I have with it. Otherwise, if you want wallow in it all day, be my guest. But if you ever turn around someday and discover that your life of ease now comes with a slave collar, don't say you weren't warned.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

In contrast to eternally worshipping an unappreciative narcissistic collage of unrealistic ideals to which I will never be even remotely equal? Perhaps I'm assuming, but I've gotten the impression, time and again, that any respectable code of morality must stem from such a root. You know, self-denigration and dependence. That sort of game.

See, I don't appreciate getting the whole "denial of self" spiel because if anyone deserves it, it's the theists. After all, they are the ones willing to sell their honor and integrity just so they can live forever because they don't have the self-respect to live a decent life on the first go around, which is why they are compelled to take out an insurance policy and buy their way out of a deadline. They will slaps the chains on their own wrists to avoid facing the same laws that bring everything else to an end. If they don't have to die, then why should trees or cats or fruitflies? Why not give everlasting life to dolphins and Ponskies? They surely deserve it more than we do. Let's commercialize immortality and find out exactly what place death has in this world by removing it completely, because it feels like everyone just wants to make life another commodity, a corporate product that has as much value as a package of hot dogs.

You wanna talk about hedonism? Let's start there.
edit on 2-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I'm not religious but if comparing Nazi's to Liberal Atheists or Christians... There's that little detail that ATS has talks about but hasn't really mentioned.

The Nazi's were from the start or later on down the road hijacked by the Zionists, many don't hold this belief but there is supporting evidence for it, so it all boils down to opinion.

So in the thick of it, the Liberal Atheists were the Zionists. When the Nazi movement took hold a lot of the followers, well most, were Christian and were spouting their Christian pride just like people do today. Mostly because at the time, the economy was in the crapper and they didn't have a voice or way to fix it, which the Nazi movement did temporarily.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

tsingtao
or my liberties.

sorry i don't trust anyone, especially non believers.

screw the common good.

that has done jack, for my generation.

then you are free to live under religious rule....become a priest, or, if you are of a religion that controls people with it, go move to that country that uses religion as its government....I don't care....atheists don't care...

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

It is when people are willing to engage in violent acts over the mere direction of thought itself that they become dangerous. The irony is when they do so in order to prevent that same behavior in others, which results in a self-fulfilling prophecy. The guardians become the monsters, and the monsters become the guardians. Like a page that refreshes itself, reminding itself of what it's supposed to be doing and replenishing its capacity to do so.

Amazing how society works, isn't it? We're hardwired to refresh. The nature of our reality is that should one element be held in power for long enough, it will begin to snap back like a rubber band after it's been let go. Which means the same trick must be pulled with a new element, switching out the old fuel and replacing it with the new. Like a dish on a series of spinning wheels, it has to be shifted from one wheel to another or it will just keep going in circles. The momentum of the pendulum swing is what keeps the clock operating, correct? But if the pendulum gets stuck in its arc, the clock loses track. Progress fails. Time stops.

And what if that's what the leaders of our world are aiming for? Because that's what immortality and eternal life means. It means we stop time. The clock fails. And with it, so does humanity.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Completely noted.... I'm sure under rule of a any political party, people will revert to the behaviors they had previously thought were barbaric or something society should gotten over already.

I have fears especially about our current admin (If you live in the U.S.) that are now worse than I thought our past ones could have been or were.... I don't want to start any political trolling though....

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

The part I feel is particularly noteworthy is how our insistence at distancing ourselves from our animal heritage inevitably results in stupendous blind spots where psychological mechanisms are concerned. Our behavior, instincts, desires and habits all stem from millions of years worth of environmental conditioning, survival patterns that have proven themselves over the generations. Which means that they will feature prominently in deciding how any worthwhile tool or habit will be used. The cornerstone of rationality is practicality, which means we must assume that whenever a tool or action is employed, it is employed in the spirit of helpfulness, rather than a means to some suicidal end.

All of which boils down to a solitary bottom line: if it is in active service, it is self-service. The trick is finding out who it is serving and how. The rest falls into place. Which means any sort of spiritual or political party is an open book for those who know how to read. Just be sure to keep the next question in mind while reading - where are we trying to go from here? And does this "service" or "tool" pose more of a liability than an asset to such an end?

And thus, we come to my concern. Where are we trying to go from here? What do our world leaders envision for the global population of the human species? Are we simply buffering our capacity to stagnate? Are we preparing for extraterrestrial colonialization? Are we developing methods by which to perfect the human race and launch it into the next frontier? What is our ultimate goal as a species?

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Well our animal instincts or tribal I would say, is what helped us survive all that time. Most people try to fight it and in that battle fighting it, lose their way and don't know how to survive.

I have acknowledged we have not changed much since then, even though I fight those instincts, I have to realize why they are there and what I can gain/benefit from keeping them instead of pretending that part of me is no longer existent.

With instinct we mostly feel out what's going on in the now and how it will be beneficial to our survival short to long term. Political parties and people in power have exploited this flaw in our animal behaviors and now are using that "fight against our very nature" against us. They have the tools to work both sides of the fence.....

Had to edit to add to the last part of your sentiment... We are not going anywhere because most of us don't know, like I said we run off the instincts, or try and live trying to fight them... I don't know if either of those ways of thinking will move us forward. I look at things as if now we're are just now in a much bigger tribe with much bigger problems

edit on 01225555_55k14 by jheated5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Well our animal instincts or tribal I would say, is what helped us survive all that time. Most people try to fight it and in that battle fighting it, lose their way and don't know how to survive.

It's like this. Either you are going to acknowledge that which drives you and possess the truth of both what and who you are, or you are going to ignore that which drives you and never realize what truly satisfies you. Which is why we are all so insatiably absorbed in technology, allowing the corporations a direct land line into the deepest part of ourselves in the hope that providing a garbage chute will fill what we ourselves dare not.

I have acknowledged we have not changed much since then, even though I fight those instincts, I have to realize why they are there and what I can gain/benefit from keeping them instead of pretending that part of me is no longer existent.

Precisely.

With instinct we mostly feel out what's going on in the now and how it will be beneficial to our survival short to long term. Political parties and people in power have exploited this flaw in our animal behaviors and now are using that "fight against our very nature" against us. They have the tools to work both sides of the fence.....

The equivalent of spinning us on a merry go round before shoving us into a strobe light display and plying us with carnal delights. As I said before...a garbage chute with unrequited access to the deepest pits of our souls.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Hard to take seriously any person who labels all liberal atheists as extremists within the first couple sentences of the post.

Your hate is showing.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join