It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FN FAL Battle Rifle - StG58 DSA Build

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Well I do feel for folks that took a gamble on the Century built FN FALs.

A contact of mine got lucky on the eve of the AWB in the 90s and got this nice bit of kit.

It's one of the DSA builds, you pay more but the quality is excellent.

He paid about $1000 or so back then if I recall correctly and nowadays you're looking at about $2000 for the same weapon.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Taking it for a spin on the private range:

We had the gas-setting on 'rifle-grenade' hence it required cocking after each shot! LOL

That's one of the cool features of this rifle, it can be 'tuned' to the subtle charge in each .308 cartridge. Very useful if you are using your own reloads (in this we are using custom reloads).

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
If you know what you're doing and are willing to put in the work yourself you can still have a nice fal for around a grand even today. THat is if you know where to look for parts kits and the like *grins*. I really like the fal but I've never been able to justify spending what it would take to get into the 7.62 nato game personally.

Instead I'm pretty heavily invested in 7.62x54R (the R is for RIMMED not Russian guys just fyi) and eventually I'll put together a PKM in semi or better yet if I manage to score a bunch of cash all at once I'll pick up a semi auto DP 28 and an unnamed parts kit of a fairly rare gun and convert the dp 28 to belt fed.

I've always wanted to have at least one belt fed in my collection and 7.62x54R is the caliber I'd prefer to have it in for a variety of reasons.

Now that my tangent is over though. The Fal is a great piece of kit however before one gets into the fal game it's best to do your research. Because there are actually 2 types of fals on the market in the US right now which, while they may look almost identical, do not have compatible parts!

To make it easiest on yourself if you are new to guns and etc make sure to pick up a metric pattern fal not the so called inch pattern fal's or fal accessories! Even inch pattern fal magazines fail to work correctly in metric fals and vice versa for those who aren't fal afficionados.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Well I do feel for folks that took a gamble on the Century built FN FALs.

Probably Century's worst products from what I've heard. (Franken-fa(i)ls)...I believe they mixed and matched inch's vs metric parts and just in general, couldn't put the thing together at all. Good thing you went with DSA.

Congrats on the new purchase. (Early xmas gift for yourself? I bought something for xmas for myself last week to). I've always wanted a FAL, but I rarely see them nowdays. Other than online, last time I saw one was at a gun show near the beginning of this year. I don't remember the make or price though. Havent been to a gun show since then because Im still hearing the prices at the shows are still priced high.

Also, Id say hang onto that thing for a long time. It doesn't seem like the FAL prices will be going down ever. It doesn't look like they're really being brought into the country much (if at all) anymore.

top topics

join