It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

95% of our universe is missing RIGHT?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
95% of our universe is missing RIGHT? Well this is according too many of the Boffins PHD’s etc,. So they call it dark energy and dark matter which at this time anyway they can’t prove except by mathematics.

Amongst similar Boffins PHD’s etc, there seams to be a growing acceptance that we may just be living in a future computer program, a virtual universe where in actuality everything is simple zero’s and one’s and nothing is real.

So my question in my very dim way is could the one be proving the other?

It will be most interesting to see your answers.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

Perhaps it is missing because we have yet to find it. As perplexing as that sounds keep in mind that if this is a simulation then the missing parts would not come into being until needed to add to the simulation to perpetuate it. (Assuming this is an example a freeform self perpetuating and correcting algorithm based on experience to produce an effect, desired or not, within controlled perimeters).

I have a BS in Game Development with a focus and extra courses on programming, and I have yet to find anything that cannot be explained away with programming logic. In fact, the probability of someone asking this question is very high... dismissing it is even higher. It is called the Suspension of Disbelief.

In order to enjoy such stories, the audience engages in a phenomenon known as "suspension of disbelief". This is a semi-conscious decision in which you put aside your disbelief and accept the premise as being real for the duration of the story.
Source

edit on 21-12-2013 by Volund because: none

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Boffin PhDs?

Yet, random people on the internet on an anonymous conspiracy website are to be taken as having the answers?

The simple and Scientific answer is that we have some Working Models of the Universe.
Non-Scientific people seem to think we're all just sitting behind our desks with feet propped up, Masters of the Universe, having ALL THE ANSWERS, but, the fact of the matter is, we have working models and until such time as those working models are sufficiently challenged with a better working model, or amendments to the current paradigm, then, that working model is the CURRENT working model.

Science is all about Challenging itself and constantly crash-testing itself.

It might not make sense to you, but, it doesn't have to.

The Universe will keep on working the way it works regardless of what you believe.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

I would have to say that 95% is just unknown to us. Dark energy is just a number used to make impossible equations get the answers they want to see.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

“The Universe will keep on working the way it works regardless of what you believe”

No where did I say I believed it.

Working models yes I am sure that what these are.

Dark matter it is said is not like anything that we know atoms etc,.

Dark energy well you are not supposed to be able to create energy so what is that about?

Looking more like a future game boy all the time.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Volund

Have you ever come across someone asking this question before?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

It is called dark energy or dark matter because there is no definition as to it's element or substance. It is the space between things.

The movie The Matrix (1999) must be based on the belief of these Boffin Phd's or the Boffin Phd's have accepted the premise of The Matrix in their research.

It is very sad that electrical machines running on bits and bytes control so much of our modern life. In actuality these machines are massive accounting systems run by corporate boards, actuaries, executives and owned by the elite. They account for the necessities desired by modern humans that are produced or harvested from the elements of our Earth. Our reality is made up of mass, energy and the elements included in the periodic table.

We are here. We are mostly made up of H20. We have free will. Our choices today create our future.

We are not a hologram being produce in a virtual universe.

edit on 21-12-2013 by BurbGirl378 because: Add a smiley

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by BurbGirl378

“Our reality is made up of mass, energy and the elements included in the periodic table. We are here. We are mostly made up of H20. We have free will. Our choices today create our future.”

These days I am not nearly so sure of that as I used to be. Especially FREE WILL.

We have the elusion of it yes but then in a very sofistcted program we would, would we not.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
It does seem to be that the more we look for things, the more we find - like the act of looking expands our world. On both a micro and macro level. Maybe this is linked with observation and the act creates/effects our world.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Here is something I wrote a few days ago:

Dark matter can easily be measured by observing how light is bent as it travels around a galaxy, via this method it's possible to "weigh" galaxies by seeing how much they warp the space around them. There is clearly some type of invisible mass surrounding all galaxies because they weigh a lot more than they should based on how much visible matter they contain, and the way galaxies rotate also indicates the existence of dark matter. Dark energy must also exist for the simple fact that the universe is measurably expanding at an accelerating rate. It cannot accelerate without some sort of energy which allows it to do so.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

MAC269
reply to post by Volund

Have you ever come across someone asking this question before?

Yes. It could be my field though, we think of things like this all the time. Especially Game Engine programmers who have to make the game world as real as possible to maintain the Suspension of Disbelief. Ironically to maintain this everything must be modelled after this world.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

Most of the universe isn't missing,

When scientists talks about this '96 percent', they are talking about mass. Only 4 perecnt of the universe's mass can be attributed to stellar objects-stars, planets, gases, etc and the rest of it is attributed to dark matter, which is still mostly a mystery.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

MAC269
95% of our universe is missing RIGHT? Well this is according too many of the Boffins PHD’s etc,. So they call it dark energy and dark matter which at this time anyway they can’t prove except by mathematics.

No, the problem came from experimental data. The universe is what it is, it isn't missing. Satisfactory microscopic physical explanation which ties into general relativity & Standard Model particle physics is what's missing.

Amongst similar Boffins PHD’s etc, there seams to be a growing acceptance that we may just be living in a future computer program, a virtual universe where in actuality everything is simple zero’s and one’s and nothing is real.

Dark Energy and Dark Matter problems came from careful analysis of observational astrophysical evidence which lead to scientists recognizing there is a major problem without resolution in standard known physics as far as we can tell.

The "we are living in a computer" came from stoners who watched the Matrix.

edit on 21-12-2013 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

Yes, we ALL have free will. Every human has the choice as to whether or not to obey The Powers That Be (TPTB). The consequences for not following the 'program' that the TPTB have put into place can be devastating or even deadly.

The same electrical machines (computers) that use bits and bytes (simple zero’s and one’s) to account for our consumption can also be used to calculate mathematical queries to help us define our Universe. Just because humans use bits and bytes to define our Universe does not necessarily allow us to arrive at the conclusion that the Universe is produced or controlled by them.

edit on 21-12-2013 by BurbGirl378 because: Add a smiley

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Volund

I wish more people got it like you do. They conclude that since something in nature works in a similar manner to how things work with our modern understanding of computers, that.. gasp.. we're inside a computer. and not that it might simply be efficient. There are far more inefficient things in nature that we ignore... like our addiction to air and water, or the need to put dead things inside us, or our frail awkward bodies and how easily they are broken... ahh but then, god has a sense of humour.. he created religion, after all.

Does my head in.

And op, how do you quantify 95% of infinity?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Yeah the dark matter thing is a way of attempting to explain the huge discrepancy between how much mass we believe the universe should have based on current models and the mass that has been determined through actual measurements + projections of those measurements.

As for the simulated universe thing, here's a very recent story of some "boffins" that attempted to determine if the theory was valid - www.nature.com...

There's a growing number of stories similar to this one that are starting to support the idea that we're living in a holographic universe. Not one consisting of 1s and 0s on a machine, but one that is a projection from a 10 dimensional universe. From what I understand if you were a being in the 10th dimension, you'd see our "universe" basically in 2d. We'd almost look like a picture on a television screen.

The simulated universe theory (the one you're probably thinking of) also has merit but no-one's really come up with a way that we could test its validity...if you're in a computer program where everything you do and everything that happens around you is programmed then it simply might not be possible to exit the program or see outside of it. You'd only discover you were a simulation if the designer of the program allowed you to discover it...
edit on 21-12-2013 by LordGoofus because: typo

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

I felt free to give you this flower to admire your greatness, hope you don't mind.

The Universe will keep on working the way it works regardless of what you believe.

Someone chose to believe in exercising their imagination, while the others, with lack of their own beliefs, chose to 'go with the flow' (which is quite boring).

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Put dead things inside us. Don't think that's the absolute goal. It's called eating and if you want to reduce it to something reduce it to consume energy to use energy. Putting dead things inside us could be via insertion but I doubt that's what you're getting at. Vegetarian ?? I'm betting yes.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

MAC269

Define real. Perception is not reality. Colors, for example, don't exist. You perceive them, but nothing inherently has color, as color is simply light reflected on a surface. 95% of the universe isn't missing, but is rather made up of "dark matter," meaning there is a whole lot of empty space out there.

Whether our universe is a computer simulation, which it likely is, though calling it a "computer simulation" or "hologram" is really an understatement, what relevance is it to us? We do not play a central role in the fate of the universe. We literally have no value, on a universal scale, as a species. Hell, we've hardly expanded our expedition into space globally in the 50 or so years that it's been possible. Our species is a joke. Why and how we exist does not matter to us. What matters to us are the size of Kim Kardashian's tits and how many celebrities went publicly gay bashing this week.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BurbGirl378

I'd really like to see you prove that....

All that needs to be done is to write in the code that tells you that you have free will....and that you're made of anything.

There is NO WAY to prove that we aren't living in a simulation universe.

All it needs is good programming...

<<   2  3 >>

join