It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9-11 families can sue Saudi Arabia, court rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
9-11 families can sue Saudi Arabia, court rules

A federal appeals court on Thursday reinstated Saudi Arabia as a defendant in lawsuits claiming it provided support to al-Qaeda before the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

A three-judge panel of the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said restoring Saudi Arabia was necessary to be consistent with a ruling by a different 2nd Circuit panel that allowed another lawsuit to go forward in which a man sued Afghanistan and other defendants for the death of his wife in the Sept. 11 attacks.

The 2nd Circuit and a lower court had previously ruled that Saudi Arabia was protected by sovereign immunity, which generally means that foreign countries can't be sued in American courts. But in its latest ruling, the 2nd Circuit said a legal exception existed that would allow Saudi Arabia to remain as a defendant, just as Afghanistan remained in the similar case.

"The procedural history of this case produced inconsistent results between two sets of plaintiffs suing for damages based on the same incident," the appeals court said in a decision written by Circuit Judge Chester J. Straub. "We conclude that the circumstances here are 'extraordinary' and warrant relief."

Well it's about time after all it's only been twelve years you have to admire how fast justice works in America. Good luck on getting anything though like it says in the article some other judge will throw it out and that will be the end of it. After all the Saudis could always buy some judge that will for them. Makes you wonder why we haven't bomb them to hell and back after all we have everybody else.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Just the families? How about all the other freaking Americans that have been adversely affected by 911? Like: The people that get groped in an airport.
Like: All the freedoms lost by Americans.

Or how about the 200k I lost because ultralights could no longer fly at public events? I had a signed deal to fly a backpack motor into all the Nascar events for a year..... All gone because of 911.

I knew the Saudi's were behind 911 from the moment most of the hijackers were proven to be not from Iraq but from Saudi.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Yeah, I don't think this will go anywhere for the plaintiff, unfortunately.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

It's a sad fact but any family who try to sue Saudi over 9/11 will be wasting time, wasting money and worst of all opening old wounds, thats if they've even healed even after 12 years.

Nothing, i repeat nothing will come of it. Evidence will be constantly supressed on grounds of national security.

For the families it's a life line, a desperate grasp at a chance justice.

A chance to not have had their loved ones die and the real culprits remain immune to prosection and to walk forever free without their names ever being mentioned in a courtroom.

I know we should never ever let this go, and we should stick to the cause of justice like a dog to a bone, however if this goes ahead, it will just be a circus.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Saudi Arabia should pay every American about $200,000 a piece and that might do it.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I don't get it. Who do you sue exactly, the state of Saudi Arabia ?
Why didn't the military attack Saudi Arabia then ?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

This is VERY interesting indeed! How about going after Bush and Cheney then? Obviously there are things about Saudi that the US government is hiding right???

So what is it????

EVERY member of the Congress and Senate should also have their heads on the block for keeping quiet about this as well!!!

If our government knew about this, (which I am sure they did) then WTF????? Snowden is a traitor for being a whistle blower while our government gets a free pass for the deaths of thousand of Americans?????

WTF is wrong with America???

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
It sure wasn't Saudi Arabia they went in bombing the neighborhoods and blowing up babies and children. Like the cbc news reporting it and interviewing this rickshaw driver who returned to his house and his family was blown apart, some still dying, his only surviving son was in the shed. They had thought the Americans were going to help them all. It was outrageous. I phoned the crisis line, was so angry was going to the border to declare war on George Bush personally on behalf of all the women and children of the world and the crisis line worker was some American agent, doing damage control. He had a texas type accent or drawl, and basically told me those were black babies, I said they were not, and it didn't matter, and then he said if Oprah made it an issue it was an issue, and I said, Oprah does not empower me and that our PM had better get the recording of this conversation.

So.....after they sue Saudi, can Afghan sue the states, and all those families?? EH????

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Absolutely meaningless. The case, now in it's 11th year, is based only on technical assumptions and no money will ever change hands. Just a classic example of American jurisprudence in which everyone loses except the lawyers.

I wondered how long it would be before someone would take this out of context and try to act like someone in the know.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said it's in the "interests of justice" to allow them to proceed.

The legal bill for American tax payers is already over 10 million for a case that is nothing but a formality with no legal bearing whatsoever.

Do you really think an 1800 year old Monarchy cares what a court in America does?

The article broadcast on ABC Friday is incredibly misleading and it's not surprising how easy it is to fool people-especially those in which the internet runs their life.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
shouldn't they sue the CIA for creating and funding Al Qaeda in the first place ?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Sue our Sunni Masters?

I doubt that's going anywhere....

And let's not forget "The Kiss" -

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

spooky24Do you really think an 1800 year old Monarchy cares what a court in America does?

whether or not they care, millions of others do. the 9/11 lie will collapse bit by tortuously slow bit. drip, drip, drip. enough drips will create a flood that will wash the OS liars right out of the shadows and into court, then jail. that is not meaningless.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr UAE

The CIA didn't load nanothermite into the buildings, they didn't hijack planes either. Al Qaeda's involvement, even acknowledging the direct ties to CIA and NATO, is basically a whitewash of crimes committed almost exclusively by US military and Pentagon officials.

Saudi Arabia had almost no involvement whatsoever - those "hijackers" are scapegoats. Several were still alive after 911, ffs. What a joke of a thread.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   

ok - lets parse this tail down to the bone :

the latest ruling only states that " soverign immunity " does not apply - it does not imply that any case against the kingdom of saud has any merit

as the source clearly sates - in most cases the tenant of " soverign immunity " shields a forign govt from being sued in US courts

this descision to waive " soverign immunity " has not considered the metits or demerits of ay potential case against the kingdom of saud .

top topics

join