It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Storm Threatens British Christmas

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Isn't this the usual Christmas time weather for us ? slightly windy in Essex due to have some major rain later
edit on 23-12-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Jukiodone

I think you're making light of it...it can be life threatening, and perhaps we have so few weather casualties when it's like this because people actually listen to and take heed of the weather reports. Certainly in my part of the country, it's possible to get snowed in for weeks, and preparation is vital. I totally appreciate threads like this one...it's a heads up, not doom and gloom.

It's not that windy here yet, but it's trying to snow, and the lights are flickering in a way which makes me think lightening rather than power lines down.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Muzzy just posted this link in the earthquake thread...very cool to play with.

Earth Wind Map

Just move the globe around to get to where you are. I have to admit that the 2 storms lined up on the jet stream kinda make me think about The Day After Tomorrow, just not quite big enough.

The met office reporter on the BBC said about an hour ago that the jet stream is the fastest they've ever recorded, at about 280 miles an hour, and the low pressure expected just off the west coast of Scotland could be within a few points of the record low of 925 mb. Scary stuff...stay safe all.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Wind is getting worse in the east Anglia. Rain coming in now as well. There is no way I am leaving my house.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I wouldn’t be too concerned with the current i.e. today and tomorrow’s storm, it is and will be damaging, what’s concerning me is the fact that the storm on the 27th is already forecast to be as deep as 945mb. That, is an indication that this storm is going to intensify and at 4 days out, it could very well be more damaging than the “Burns Day Storm” of 1990 that claimed over 90 lives across Europe and cost UK insurers over £3billion.

This Friday’s storm is NOT to be taken lightly, I advise you all watch the weather over Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Don’t travel unless you have too, especially those further north.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Jukiodone

"Christmas": AKA Public Holiday where most people are at home

Actually more people are travelling than at any other time of the year. And we don't exactly see Atlantic lows bomb by near 60mb in 24 hours every decade

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Aye, early warnings out for the whole country already - will be changed nearer the time once the models firm up on just where the low will end up (seems to have shifted north again in todays runs).

Edit: I don't think I#ve ever seen a MetO warning covering every single inch of the UK before?

Meanwhile, the Christmas Eve storm has barely begun, but 1 death so far and millions suffering hoilday travel delays - including many folk stuck in London as more and more trains get cancelled

edit on 23-12-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Wait 'til that low pressure pulls in the cold air.
Snow for Newyear? Maybe as early as Boxing Day?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Panic over nothing.

There will be some wind and rain, nothing unusual about that at this time of year.

MR

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Marlborough Red

Who's panicking?

Being informed about what is quite a severe storm and being prepared is not panicking. The Met Office have Amber warnings in force across large swathes of the country, with even more set to be added during the week.

Met Office Weather Warnings

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
It has been quite windy here in London the last few nights. Nothing too bad though compared to the rest of the UK.

Stay safe everyone.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
well, it's just about midnight, and will be chistmas eve in a few minutes. I'm listening to a really vicious wind, bad enough that I'm worried about tiles on my roof, and I can garauntee my dozy neighbours rubbish is all over my garden. Not hurricane of 1987, but I'm expecting to see some downed trees and property damage.

I've slept out in a caravan in weather like this, VERY scary. Fortunately was against a wall, and it stopped it being blown over.

Oh oh, the lights are flickering.... not a good sign.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Antigod

Yeah the tiles on my roof are making some strange noises.

No flickering off lights yet though.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
This is what happens when an ultra dense # hit the.fence.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Lights flickering here in Wiltshire.

Very windy, very rainy. Earlier there was chaos at the retail park, busy as obvious festivities, flooded roads, blinding rain, it was a slightly scary experience and that was only a journey of about a mile, to a retail park, on main roads, in Wiltshire.

Obviously there are places worse affected and lots of reports of homes that are without electricity, imagine all the Christmas shopping in those fridges and how cold it might be. Especially for the elderly and those with babies and young children. I hope it isn't too intense, these storms have been happening much more frequently recently, especially here in the South where they are rather rare.

Some recent REPORTS

As many as 27,000 customers were left without electricity in southern England, Southern Electric said, with 13,000 in and around Aldershot alone. Others were without power in Oxford, Poole in Dorset, and Petersfield in Hampshire
Some 3,000 Western Power Distribution customers in Cornwall and a further 2,000 in other parts of the South West were left without electricity. Some 800 were still without power on Monday evening.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I find these threads amazing as i learn something every time. (for instance that wind map)

Keep your heads down and be safe Gents. Merry Christmas and i hope you all wake to calm and fair skies.

Shawn
Medford Oregon.

CX

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Marlborough Red
Panic over nothing.

There will be some wind and rain, nothing unusual about that at this time of year.

MR

Well my little village here in The New Forest is getting well and truly battered right now. Trees down everywhere, across roads and many train lines. Just been out to check my neighbours and some tree limbs have come down in front of one ladys house, blocking her gate. I'll shift them in the morning for her as it's to dangerous under the tree right now.

All the rivers are bursting and there is lots of superficial flooding on the roads.

This is not usual weather.

CX.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Im takeing a battering too. Wheely bins gone. Dunno where but with any luck it lands on my neigbour lotus elise

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Im getting the flickering lights here in kent.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I'm not so sure any cold air will produce much in the way of snow (away from elevation and northern areas). What is interesting though is that there seems to be a NH pattern change occurring "behind the scenes", and i am fairly certain that as we enter into the new year we will see a shift to colder, more settled weather with snow, hard frosts and potential ice days.

That aside, Friday looks like a day and night to stay indoors!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join