6 US Soldiers killed in Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
The media is reporting that 6 US soldiers were killed in Afghanistan on Thursday when their Blackhawk made a hard landing and came under attack. There are reports of one survivor. According to the DoD the aircraft suffered an engine problem and came down hard, and once on the ground came under attack by Taliban forces. It's not clear if they were shot down, or if they had a maintenance problem that caused the accident.

An Afghan official reported the crash in the Zabul Province, which was later confirmed as being the village of Shajau. The Taliban has claimed responsibility, but they've been known to claim just about any aircraft downed as being shot down by them.

KABUL, Afghanistan -- Six U.S. troops were killed Tuesday when their Blackhawk helicopter made a hard landing in southern Afghanistan and then came under attack by insurgents, American officials tell CBS News.

It was not immediately clear whether the six died in the hard landing or in the subsequent attack on their position.

One person on board the aircraft was injured and survived, two U.S. defense officials said on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the record.

A statement issued by the NATO international military coalition said the crash was under investigation and that there was no insurgent activity in the area. In Washington, an official originally said the helicopter had experienced engine failure before the crash, but later said that it was unclear whether that was the case.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
My deepest thoughts go out to those lost and their families. Hopefully it's no one any of us knows, as I'm sure many of us still know men serving there.

Having said that, I could be sick reading the release....and where I'd never be one to think "something stinks here" on so little said? These military leaders and speakers MAKE this problem for themselves. They really said this in the same event?

Six U.S. troops were killed Tuesday when their Blackhawk helicopter made a hard landing in southern Afghanistan and then came under attack by insurgents, American officials tell CBS News.

A statement issued by the NATO international military coalition said the crash was under investigation and that there was no insurgent activity in the area.

Okay, insurgents engaged the helicopter or there were no insurgents in the area. Is it too much to ask, when reporting the deaths of men in their own Services, they take a moment to see the short statements aren't MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE?

Sorry..that just strikes me as an insult to the men it's about as much as an insult to the reader for how statements and reporting are coming to be out of the Military on almost anything.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
If an Republican wins in 2016 expect our forces to stay till forever.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

They're saying that initial reports said there was no insurgent activity in the area. I'm hearing things though, and may have some more information on it eventually. I have feelers out to some of the usual places I go to, and will update as I can. Something is definitely not right here.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Agent_USA_Supporter

Not sure political comments are really appropriate when at least 6 families have had their Christmas and their lives ruined, for now and probably evermore.

Thoughts to the families in this difficult time

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I know you're one to stay right on top of these things. I look forward to hearing more!

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

expatwhite

Agent_USA_Supporter

Not sure political comments are really appropriate when at least 6 families have had their Christmas and their lives ruined, for now and probably evermore.

Thoughts to the families in this difficult time

Political comments are always appropriate..

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Names Released

"We offer our heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of these Big Red One soldiers," said the fort's commander, Maj. Gen. Paul Funk. "We stand ready to support them, and I urge our community and nation, while remembering their sacrifices this holiday season, to do the same."

Good words I could not find myself.
edit on 20122013 by Snarl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

And how is this story news worthy?
Truthfully, these men knew what they signed up for and we have known that the reasons that we were over there is a lie.
I'm sorry, at this point anyone enlisting knows they are going for the money and the thrill to kill, the US is not the good guys anymore.
We are a low paid mercenary force for the highest bidder under the guise of "democracy"!!
I sure miss us being the good guys.
Damn the crooks who stole our virtue.
Respects to the families as they cannot make up the minds of their children.
Maybe the next generation can wise up and teach their children the truth.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Agent_USA_Supporter

Sir, the US maintains a foreign empire, foreign occupations and a policy of endless warfare that does not change regardless of the administration, Republican or Democrat.

You know this, I know you know this and you know that I know that you know this.

So, why say something so incredibly partisan and easily refutable? Well, probably because you are partisan.

And while I realize that there are a ton of establishment gate keepers on ATS, the ATS regulars realize that the 2 political parties are both part of the same 2-headed, 1-Party system.

And there was one Republican who was very opposed to unnecessary war, foreign occupations, the foreign empire, policing the world and the Military Industrial Complex: Ron Paul and he was a Republican (of-course he said that he ran as a Republican because the two Parties have made it virtually impossible for a third Party to complete on a national level but thats a whole other story).

And guess what, even the "Liberal" media attacked him over it. Thats right. When a true anti-war candidate gains popularity, that candidate is attacked by BOTH sides of the political spectrum.

And much like his father, contrary to what you may think, Rand Paul is the person most likely to bring our troops home.

edit on 20-12-2013 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Prayers out to you and your families Brothers. I will remember you.

Ignore the haters here. Some will never get it. We all know they are just all part of the package.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
There was definitely more to this than what was released by the media. I'm expecting to hear back from a source by tomorrow, with more details, but it definitely is being covered up.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Okay, insurgents engaged the helicopter or there were no insurgents in the area. Is it too much to ask, when reporting the deaths of men in their own Services, they take a moment to see the short statements aren't MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE?

The insurgents have taken over Washington DC.. The indigenous people of Afghanistan are victims of US state-sponsored terrorism (aka murder, mayhem and theft). It really is that simple.

Come to think of it, the current crop of US-born indigenous citizens are victims of these same cretins.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
From what I was told from various places, something happened near the tail of the aircraft, an explosion or something happened damaging the tail rotor. The aircraft hit the ground hard, but there was a second aircraft overhead at the time, and no reports of a post crash attack.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Related???

Army Says AH-64E Apache Helicopters Grounded Due To Transmission Problems
By Jen Judson, InsideDefense.com, December 19, 2013

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

No, but it's interesting timing. I've heard that there were gunships in the area when this happened.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Oh Jesus ... I hope what you posted is only coincidence.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

There's some that I can't post, due to source concerns, but this was definitely enemy action. I can't say how it was done, only that it was not engine failure.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

They were soldiers of the United States.

I say, honor them.

SnF
edit on 20-12-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

ABNARTY
Prayers out to you and your families Brothers. I will remember you.

Ignore the haters here. Some will never get it. We all know they are just all part of the package.

The only thing hated by people in this thread is war.
And the politicians willing to send them for fear of losing votes.
The soldiers over there are our brothers, sons and uncles too.
There are real "haters" here but they haven't shown up here yet I assure you.
edit on 20-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum