It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about music by Pink Floyd and David Gilmore...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

SonOfKal
'Carol of the Bells'

oooohhh ... Das war großartig (that was awesome)!!

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Only one Pink Floyd?

There were four completely different bands by that name.

The first was a band that combined Lewis Carroll whimsy, folk-inspired melodies and weird noises into primitive acid-rock. They were led by an incipient schizophrenic and early drug casualty named Syd Barret. This band ceased to exist when its other three members rose up, deposed Barret and replaced him with a competent but not very original guitar player and singer named David Gilmour.

The second Pink Floyd was an initially directionless experimental art-rock ensemble that took Barret's fascination with strange noises to an absurd extreme, using a howling dog as a musical instrument and recording joke instrumentals involving electronic drones and flyswatters and boasting titles like 'Several Species of Small Furry Creature Grooving in a Cave with a Pict'.

The third Pink Floyd came into existence when Gilmour discovered his personal sense of melody and abandoned bleeping noises and blues clichés for simple but effective chord progressions and dramatic soaring leads while another member, Roger Waters, began mining his depressive personality and free-floating social resentment for lyrics. It became a planet-eating juggernaut, one of the most commercially successful musical acts ever. An important part of this Pink Floyd's appeal were its extravagant live shows, in which lights, props, pyrotechnics and various theatrics obscured the fact that the band had neither a distinct front man nor any rapport with the audience to speak of. I saw this version of the band at Earl's Court in London in 1980 (I think it was), at which time its stage shows had reached a peak of spectacle and pomposity.

The fourth and last Pink Floyd was a lumbering nostalgia dinosaur living on the glories of its earlier incarnations, occasionally putting out an album full of inferior, overblown parodies of the music it made while Waters was at the creative helm. Lacking his lyrical ability and his unique, uptightly funky bass playing, their music was unremarkable and all their best songs continued to be the ones he had written before leaving the band. Without Waters, Pink Floyd's live performances became even more wooden than before, while their theatrics lacked meaning and imagination. This version of the band existed only as a frame for Gilmour's guitar playing, and ceased to exist as soon as he no longer needed it.

David Gilmour is a great guitar player with a unique sound.

edit on 21/12/13 by Astyanax because: of spectacle and pomposity.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I can't think of anything better musically than Pink Floyd in their classic Waters/Gilmour era.
As a matter of fact when I list my 3 favorite bands it has always been the same though the position may change some...

Pink Floyd, Dead Can Dance , Opeth.

Dead Can Dance mix in female vocals that I would be willing to bet just about everyone has heard yet they may not have known it unless they were fans. If you have heard the soundtracks to Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Whale Rider, The Insider, Passion of the Christ , multiple other films then you know her voice.

Opeth are a band that has sort of carved their own way musically. They started off as a true metal band including using death vocals on many of their initial releases but the more restrained side has always been there with them showing up in parts of or at least 1 full song on each album.

Of those bands all 3 have amazingly warm yet evocative male vocals along with the ability to create moods and soudscapes from songs.Along those lines I believe all 3 bands leave me with the same sort of feelings about life when I light a candle and put on my headphones. They have the ability to transport you some place else.

Dead Can Dance : The Host of Serpahim ..emphasis on Lisa Gerrard vocals

Dead Can Dance: Black Sun.. emphasis on Brendan Perry vocals

Dead Can Dance (live): The Wind That Shakes the Barley ..emphasis on Lisa Gerrard vocals

Dead Can Dance (live): Children of the Sun .. emphasis on Brendan Perry vocals

Opeth: Burden

Opeth: Hope Leaves

edit on 2013pAmerica/Chicago3110pam by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ItCameFromOuterSpace

The voice of Smashing Pumpkins singer, Billy Corgan, needs some getting used too but once you get to understand how deep his lyrics can be and how unique, inspired his compositions and guitar playing can be, it's a band to fall in love with.

The drummer, Jimmy Chamberlin is a major inspiration in my drum techniques.

www.dailymotion.com...
A good mellowy one.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Led Zeppelin - Kashmir: when they were semi sober or not stoned some of their stuff was fantastic

Stairway to Heaven

Some of Boston's music was fabulous as far as the guitar playing

There are so many original bands and great music we could post videos all day long

Great music to have sex by in the 90s

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Klassified
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

I think "The Division Bell" as a whole, was a good example of the combined styles of Wright and Waters. As was "Momentary Lapse of Reason". "Lost for Words" is sooo Dylanesque in the first half, and then it turns Gilmour/Floyd in a big way. "Learning to Fly" is another one.

Oops. That was supposed to say "Wright and Gilmour".

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

You know Asty, that may be one of the best descriptions I've ever seen written on the morphing of Pink Floyd through their incarnations. Cynical yes, but apropo to some extent.

Nevertheless, I still enjoyed each and every incarnation. From their experimental days with the madcap, to their less than glorious finale.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I like them too, though I've had a bit of an overdose over the years. After The Wall and Waters' departure I lost interest. They should have done the gentlemanly thing, like Led Zeppelin, and quit the game.

One interesting thing about Pink Floyd is how simple their apparently complex music is. They were certainly advanced sonic craftsmen in their day, but as sound generation and studio technology advanced, the things they did with VCOs and multitracking became easy for any well-equipped teenager to reproduce. Musically, the songs were usually very simple and intuitive. Even the occasional excursion into odd time signatures ('Money', for example) are intuitive and easy to play.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join