It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about music by Pink Floyd and David Gilmore...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Is anyone aware of a band that plays music along the same lines and creativeness as Pink Floyd. I realize there is only one David Gilmore as a lead guitar player.. His lead guitar melodies have always been extremely enjoyable to me with Comfortably Numb being one of my favorite riffs.. Just asking ?
@ 2:05:36 the song starts but the guitar solo is at 2:06:33 and the one that usually give me goose bumps is at 2:09:07 not the best I have heard as for as a recording or his rendition but you get the idea.... Thanks for the replies in advance..

edit on 20-12-2013 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Though I can't watch YouTube, I will say that there is only one Pink Floyd. Some things you just cannot improve upon. There are several greats of the past but thankfully we have their recordings and can still enjoy the music they have given us. Yep, Comfortably Numb is one of my favorites.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I don't listen to music much these days. However, one of the mods who participates in the ATS radio presentations ... that's the guy you should be asking. Pretty sure it's Semper ... might be Nef ... can't remember exactly now.

ETA: U2U on the above. There's a podcast of the show. ATS Live 188. Music @ 1:04:46 ... and more.
edit on 20122013 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I think there is only one Pink Floyd. But there were similar bands from the era.. King Crimson, Yes, Can, Amon Duul. But as for the big rock sound of Comfortably Numb the only other band I can think of is more recent and called the Smashing Pumpkins. They frequently got into the huge euphoric spacey rock sound.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Pink Floyd is Pink Floyd - as has been said. But, first band that comes to mind, for me, is Dream Theater. I was looking for a video to share of them and stumbled across a cover of one of their songs by some kids

If you like, go to youtube and just look Dream Theater - you won't be disappointed in the results.

But, for my own enjoyment (hopefully others as well), I'm just going to post the cover done by these kids

Dream Theater - Pull Me Under (cover)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Of course there is always the Flaming Lips:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

kalunom
But, for my own enjoyment (hopefully others as well), I'm just going to post the cover done by these kids

Definitely talented! It's amazing how much we miss on our own. Wonderful when it's shared.

edit on 20122013 by Snarl because: (no reason given)

edit on 20122013 by Snarl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I am commenting just to see what people suggest. I am a massive Pink Floyd fan but I've probably overplayed them over the past 8 years lol

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I think the solos you are referring to may be keyboard rather than guitar solos. I know a little bit about guitar playing and it doesn't look like like he is playing the solos.

edit on 20-12-2013 by eggbert because: typo

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ItCameFromOuterSpace

I have a newfound respect for you oh glorious space gorilla!!! Those were the two I was thinking of. Billy Corgan has a chord named after his work, the Pumpkin Chord. Oceania was a daring but brilliant work especially live. He had to condense up to 40 guitar overdubs into two parts and he not only succeeded but owned it to the point i was just in awe. And the Flaming Lips, genius.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
There are a lot of awesome bands from the era, but there's only one Pink Floyd. Just like there's only one Led Zeppelin, The Who, King Crimson, and so on. I'm not sure how much Floyd you've listened to, but there are other great albums by them. There's what I call the big 5, then others before and after.
Meddle
Dark Side of the Moon
Animals
Wish You Were Here
The Wall.
This series of albums really encompasses Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett. They are all masterpieces in their own rght, imo. BUT, don't ignore what came before these. There's some awesome stuff there. Like Ummagumma for example. I'll leave you with a solo piece from David Gilmour...

Oh, there are other progressive bands from the era, if you like progressive rock. A few of the lesser known ones are JD Blackfoot, Nektar, Wishbone Ash, Starcastle, Angel, Camel, and the list could go on.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

eggbert
reply to post by 727Sky

I think the solos you are referring to may be keyboard rather than guitar solos. I know a little bit about guitar playing and it doesn't look like like he is playing the solos.

edit on 20-12-2013 by eggbert because: typo

My friend you are entitled to your opinion. There are many young people who play his solos on youtube.. I have played guitar for over 50 years and even made a living at it when I was in school.. I have never detected fill in for his playing and since I am slightly familiar with the guitar fret board IMO he is the real deal. A guitar play knows....

I listen to all the videos posted and went to youtube to watch Dream Theater .... man have they grown up and ditched the girls to boot..! They are very talented.... Very technical... Interesting riffs and licks.. Not what I am looking for though... It is true there was only one Pink Floyd band even though they have had several band members... Gilmore and the organ player (RIP) seemed to be the ones who kept it all together...

What I always appreciated about David Gilmore was his ability to produce a beautiful melody without always trying to show someone he had fast or hot licks unless they fit... Many guitar players want to show a complicated riff or some "wow" thingy that most have never heard much less can do instead of actually adding to the story of the song... I think that is the main reason I always appreciated his guitar playing so much. His solos were an "add" to the song, theme, and feeling, instead of "hey watch this super fast non melodic riff just because it is something I have been working on... Who cares if it fits in the song look at what I can do! Sorry, some like that showmanship an I am amazed at what some of the guys can do today... Some are faster than I ever was at my peak and faster than anyone in my hey day....

Understand I came from a time when people ooohed and auhhhed at the Ventures, Pipeline and The Rolling Stones with Satisfaction and the Kingsmen with Loui Loui . We played all of those... When Pink Floyd came along with all their weirdness, coupled with the amazing arrangements and Gilmore's leads I for one was very impressed because that was always the way I approached a solo before I ever heard of him. hahaha never was as creative as him but I made a living and had allot of fun. Again for those who replied thank you.. Still looking...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Floyd has always been one of my favs ...I cant say you would find a similar band but I enjoy Tull's Aqualung , and to a certain degree Supertramp ...they seem to have a certain dramatic story to their sounds ....peace

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

727Sky
Again for those who replied thank you.. Still looking...

With Syd Barrett, Pink Floyd started out being known as the band that you "came down" with. I guess in London back then they would have all night raves and Floyd would come on at like 5 am or so and play their music that, by nature, let people come down gently from an all night high.

They never really got out of that vibe, relaxing and peaceful, but when Syd Barrett checked out and Roger Waters took over, he brought his own personal visions into the songs. Dark Side of the Moon was kind of the emotional climax of everything Waters did with Floyd before that. The dark side of human nature. The Wall was the personal climax because it showed the very personal reason that drove Waters to write the way he did.

Then Waters left and David Gilmore took over. Still, the vibe remained the same. That kind of music that everyone wants to "come down" to, but with Gilmore's Lyrics mixed in. "Lost For Words" is a good example of his style. It's more down to earth somehow than Rogers.

All 3 incarnations of Floyd worked so well though because of Rick Wright. He was a genius.

www.billboard.com...

edit on 20-12-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-12-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

I think "The Division Bell" as a whole, was a good example of the combined styles of Wright and Waters. As was "Momentary Lapse of Reason". "Lost for Words" is sooo Dylanesque in the first half, and then it turns Gilmour/Floyd in a big way. "Learning to Fly" is another one.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Wait? Pink Floyd without Waters exsists? Oh wait, it was just my soul that died, not the band.
Waters IS pink Floyd in my opinion, and his solo concerts even to this day are the best around.
If you like Gilmore's guitar, you can even look into some Hendrix
Steve Ray Vaughn
Zeppelin
Dream Theater (but the music imo stinks)

But your never gonna find anything that meets the need quite like Floyd, that's what made them so great, they were original and hard to duplicate.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Vaedur

Waters IS pink Floyd in my opinion, and his solo concerts even to this day are the best around.

Waters was of the same opinion, when he left Floyd. I disagree. I don't think any one band member IS Pink Floyd. Though I certainly miss Waters presence. Just my two shillings.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

My brother agrees with you. He love post waters Floyd too. I like the depressing stuff. It's way more depressing with Waters, lol.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I do like the band Porcupine Tree, admittedly influenced by the Pink Floyd style and sound.
For example, this song is an obvious nod to the Animals album.

And this one incorporates what I think is very Gilmoresque Guitar work.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
If you like the "creativity" of Pink Floyd- Roger Waters was the mastermind behind it. Check out 'Radio K.A.O.S'. He has 4 solo albums. I wouldn't compare Dream Theatre with PF, but I like them just the same. But DEFINATELY check out Trans-Siberian Orchestra!!

TSO Official

'Carol of the Bells'

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join