It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon State Police - Freeway Shooting (Dashcam)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I just found this video and it seems not to be posted on ATS yet. The title is a bit confusing - nobody died, but it shows how insane this world has become. When I was young (well I am kind of still are), there was a certain respect for the Police and they probably earned it, but this one looks like a Trailer from GTA VI but it's real. Insane.

edit on 20-12-2013 by flyandi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by flyandi

This is why Cops get twitchy from time to time. Sure a few of them go over board, but really tell me another profession where this kind of event is likely to happen?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Ow, Poor cop. It seemed obvious to me the guy was going for a gun all along. Why didn't the cop shoot when he pulled it? He should have had his at the ready. Just caught him being slow that day and nearly cost him his life. I hope that guy is caught and put under the jail. He was definitely out to kill.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

It ended with the death of the shooter. Apparently he had his kids in the car as well. The cop did shoot back and they found the car a 1/2 mile down the road with the guy in it dead. Kids have to be traumatized.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
ACAB!
But that is really screwed up, the fact that the guy missed so many shots

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
You see how fast he reloaded? I'm guessing that wasn't his weekend warrior attire... thats some serious speed. i honestly cant tell if its just how the camera catches the action or if this guy was that fast.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Yep, that is what I read on the video.
Dead bad guy down the road, traumatized kiddies.
A pretty good ending to the story considering how it could have ended.
The bad guy even turned out to be a good Daddy in a weird way, he will never be late on child support and his kids will get SSI!

On another note: listen to the video, the officer did fire first.
The bad guy kind of telegraphed his intentions.
Suicide by cop.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I cannot even imagine what those 3 kids went through that day...

What would cause someone to just snap like this?

"Allen was then found about a half mile down the road slumped over in his vehicle. Troopers tried to revive him but he was pronounced dead at the scene"

Other troopers found Van Allen dead in his car on the shoulder of the freeway. His three children were in the car. They were not injured. According to a source familiar with the investigation but was not authorized to speak on the record, the children are now in the custody of their mother in Pennsylvania.

According to the source, Van Allen and the children were in the process of moving to South Carolina, a decision that appeared to have been made not long before the shooting.

Van Allen's motive for shooting the trooper remains unclear. His cousin, Kasmira Hamlet, told KATU News the day after the shooting that she had no idea what led to the shootout or why her cousin would have shot the trooper.

Van Allen’s friends said he was a pastor. He also served in the military.

www.katu.com...

The Catera, which contained Allen’s 3 children--a 10-year-old girl and two boys, ages 13 and 15--traveled approximately a half mile before coming to a stop on the shoulder. Allen was dead, but the children were unharmed.

According to US Army records, Van Allen served in the army reserve from October 2009 through July 2012. Although his family roots were in South Carolina, he went to school in Pittsburg. Relatives said he and the 3 children were on their way back to South Carolina when they were stopped by Zistel.

Court records show an extensive arrest record in the Pittsburgh area, mostly for traffic offenses, including speeding, running a red light and driving with a suspended license. He pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in March 2011 after getting into a fight. He and his ex-wife, Amie Allen, lost their home in Pittsburgh to foreclosure in 2009, according to court documents.

www.oregonlive.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Found a very detailed article on the behind the scenes surrounding this story.

One interesting detail is that when the trooper's hollow-point round hit Allen's chest, the jolt apparently caused Allen to accidentally eject the .40-caliber S&W magazine which may have saved the trooper's life.

WHY DID IT HAPPEN?

When the State Police later released the video of the shooting, bloggers and commentators wondered what provoked Allen. Police and military records from Oregon and South Carolina reveal a darker portrait of Allen, in some instances at odds with family accounts.

Army Reserve records show that in July 2012, Allen was demoted from private first class to private and given an other-than-honorable discharge, the most severe administrative discharge. Reserve officials said he was discharged after he missed duty for a year — the Reserve equivalent of going AWOL. Trouble dogged Allen to South Carolina.

In early 2012, he was arrested after disrupting operations at a Greenville school. He was charged with “disturbing a school.”

Police files suggest mental health issues may have been at the root of it all. His ex-wife told police she divorced Allen because he was paranoid. She said he thought the FBI was following him. One of his children advised detectives that Allen had gone to a mental health clinic in South Carolina, seeking treatment for stress.

According to a State Police report, his aunt and uncle told detectives their nephew “thought he was being watched by the military. He gets argumentative. He is paranoid.” www.oregonlive.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Thanks for the links. I didn't read any follow-up to this video .. Interesting fact with the Hollow-Point ammunition ..

Geez the cop was just 26 years old ..

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

ok that explains why he ejected his mag. did he get another one in or did he only get one more shot off? its hard to tell he goes iff camera and i cant see his gun anymore.

so he was discharged 18 months ago? probably for good reason if he's still wearing his uniform....

top topics

join