It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Share Songs You Love from Countries You've Been Programmed to Hate

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GalaxyEyes

I liked all these songs.

The guitarists skill on that second video is like WOW.

His arpeggio playing skills are out of this world. Great video thanks for sharing!

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

The guitar in that first video reminds me so much of Pink Floyd.

Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately the second one gives me error when playing.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

OrphanApology

I liked all these songs.

The guitarists skill on that second video is like WOW.

His arpeggio playing skills are out of this world. Great video thanks for sharing!

No worries. I'm glad you like him. I thought he was relevant because there is somewhat of a "White" / Pakistani divide in Britain at the moment (and the past 40 years or so), and I personally feel it is fuelled by the media. It's been going on for a long time. Well it's a combination of the media and uber-patriotic groups like NF and BNP etc. Both forms of programming.

Anyway, yeah he's awesome. He was born and raised in Manchester England, and he really should be a household name over here IMO, but not many people have heard of him. He's played guitar for Ian Brown live and in the studio the past 15 years up until The Stone Roses got back together. Just a bit of semi-interesting background info.

I'll upload the other track I was talking about if you want. Give me 10 min.

edit on 20-12-2013 by GalaxyEyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Okay yeah any videos are welcome!

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I like it! The part around 3:20 reminds me a lot of Hendrix "Are You Experienced?"

The song is such a strange mix of styles. It works though. I will have to look up more songs by this guy.

Also referring back to original topic, I was trying to find this one band I had been listening to that was similar style now I can't find it. I tried instead looking up North Korea since they are in the news all the time. I wanted to see if I can find music from there. There wasn't much but here is a pop song that I was able to find. It reminds me of ABBA.

edit on 20-12-2013 by OrphanApology because: s

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it.
There are a few other good middle-eastern female rappers. (I'm not trying to shove feminism down your throat, I just find them interesting.) If you're interested, you can check out Farinaz, Shadia Mansour, and Malikah. If you have trouble finding anything good, I can always upload more myself.

The North Korean music video you shared is intriguing; I had no idea they had any modern style pop performances. It still gave me an eerie kind of "manufactured" feeling though. I know pop icons are often fake and manufactured everywhere, but it's different with North Korea. Maybe I've been conditioned to feel this way, but I can't help but wonder what goes on behind the scenes, and how those ladies' lives play out off stage.
edit on 12/20/2013 by ValerieDivusen because: added comment about North Korean music

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Here's a music video by the Estonian folk singer Kirile Loo:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ValerieDivusen

I got that same vibe from that video.

Either way it is incredibly strange for there not to be any music whatsoever from a country and it's inhabitants on Youtube. It just goes to show how very much controlled information and networks are in that country. There are always musicians who will sneak things past governments if they can. So yeah, just really odd.

I think that pop band I posted is like the only band allowed to openly perform. I found a few other plastic performances by them and it's really, really bizarre.

You're right though it could just be the fact that we've been programmed to think it's strange but for me there was just something off I can't put my finger on lol.

Also I will look up those artists you mentioned and explore their music a bit.

Also you might want to check out this Vice documentary on North Korea. At least from the bias of the producers the video shows how bizarre things are.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 21-12-2013 by OrphanApology because: s

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

I've seen the Vice documentary, it was very eye opening to me at the time. You might already know of this too, but another compelling look into North Korea is Shin Dong-hyuk's story. There is a book about him called "Escape from Camp 14", and there are some documentaries about him on YouTube as well.

He is the only known person to successfully escape from one of the country's maximum security labor camps. He might have even been in the Vice documentary; it's been a while since I watched it.

The pop-music video made me think of the part in the documentary where they are taken to the "Temple of the Children" and the kids perform for them. Eerie.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ValerieDivusen

I will look up that book and check it out.

You know I noticed with reading or watching documentaries on North Korea that's it's easy to say "ha ha how could those people so blindly follow a government?" but really they are just a more extreme version of the same systems most people live under.

There they chant "North Korea is the best" whereas where I am at everyone chants "USA is the best" but it's ultimately the same nonsense.

We're all just victims of stockholm syndrome to a certain degree. That's my opinion anyway.

What a case study though of what happens when you remove the free market almost completely from a population and replace it with statism. It's an anthem for non-violent anarchism if ever there was one.

I found another documentary from Vice on their labor camps in Siberia or something, I am going to watch it next.
edit on 21-12-2013 by OrphanApology because: cx

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I totally agree, it's all brainwashing to some degree no matter where you live. I suppose that is what "culture" really boils down to.

I, too, firmly believe anarchy is the best potential solution to societal problems. There can never truly be peace under statism.

That documentary on Siberia certainly sounds interesting! I know everyone stopped caring about Pussy Riot a week after they hit the MSM, but those girls are still in those labor camps as we speak (or type
).

And, so I don't derail the whole thread, I'm working on another YouTube video for a song by Shadia Mansour (شادية منصور). She's another hip-hop artist, this time from Palestine, so she raps in Arabic. I really respect her because her lyrics are passionate but non-violent.

Also, despite performing in an area where her gender as a hip-hop artist is extremely controversial, she doesn't try to gain sympathy by playing the feminist card. In fact, according to Wikipedia: "Mansour typically performs in a traditional Palestinian gown that covers most of her body, and notes that she is 'kind of old fashioned' ".

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
from Cuba

Palestinian

If you don't like Israel, here's matisyahu. Who now has shaved off his beard (orthodox Jew)..awesome song

This guy English ,Iraqi decent

Now for something completely different lol

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by celticdog

Is that last song for real haha.

I can't stop laughing.

Oh man.

There are no words.

Edit: I just saw it was from Team America. I forgot about that film.

I was scared that was a real song.

edit on 21-12-2013 by OrphanApology because: w

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
From Israel:

Ofra Haza - Yerushalayim Shel Zahav

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
From Greece:

Σωτηρία Λεονάρδου - Δεν έχω χρόνο μάτια μου

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
From Turkey:

Kolera - Vitrindeki Manken

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Thank you so much for sharing this Turkish video Hellmutt! Everything about it really clicked with me; it's one of those rare moments when you find something you would never have thought to look for, but it is perfect for you. The music and vocals were catchy and cool, and the video was creepily fascinating, yet cute. The style, to me, is an amalgamation of the point and click adventure game "Machinarium", David Firth's "Salad Fingers" shorts, and the Armenian cartoon "Gtnvac Eraz" (Գտնված երազ).

Also, I haven't gotten my video up yet, but I found something I've been looking for for a long time: a female hip-hop artist from Israel. And she's legit; she raps in Hebrew. If I put her next to Shadia Mansour (from Palestine) on my playlist, I wonder if the universe will implode.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

ValerieDivusen
...a female hip-hop artist from Israel. And she's legit; she raps in Hebrew. If I put her next to Shadia Mansour (from Palestine) on my playlist, I wonder if the universe will implode.

The music vid from Greece, followed in the next post by a music vid from Turkey, might have the same effect!

Most folks don't hate Quebec, though I understand that many of them think we English are out to get them! Well, here is a link to a vid by Jim & Bertrand. They have many other vids on Ewetoob, and every vid opens a door to a new musical universe.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
From Russia:

КУКРЫНИКСЫ - ЧЕРНЫЙ ВОРОН (ПРОЕКТ СОЛЬ)

Chernyy voron, chernyy voron, Chto ty v'yesh'sya nado mnoy? Ty dobychi ne dozhdesh'sya, Chernyy voron, ya ne tvoy! Chto ty kogti raspuskayesh' Nad moyeyu golovoy? Il' dobychu sebe chayesh'? Chernyy voron, ya ne tvoy! Zavyazhu smertel'nu ranu Podarennym mne platkom, A potom s toboy ya stanu Govorit' vse ob odnom. Poleti v moyu storonku, Skazhi mamen'ke moyey, Ty skazhi moyey lyubeznoy, Chto za rodinu ya pal. Otnesi platok krovavyy Miloy lyubushke moyey. Ty skazhi - ona svobodna, YA zhenilsya na drugoy. Vzyal nevestu tikhu-skromnu V chistom pole pod kustom, Obvenchal'na byla svakha - Sablya vostraya moya. Kalena strela venchala Sredi bitvy rokovoy. Vizhu, smert' moya prikhodit, Chernyy voron, ves' ya tvoy!

<< 1    3  4 >>

join