It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simulations back up theory that Universe is a hologram

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

The universe as a hologram is a pretty inescapable conclusion when you look at the cold hard physics. The reason Susskind and others say the 3 dimensional universe is an illusion is because it has to be. There's really no way around it.

What things like black hole thermodynamics and the holographic principle tells us is a 3 dimensional objective reality doesn't exist. Susskind calls it an illusion.

This is because physics gives us a limit or the maximum entropy that can occupy an area or surface boundary. An objective 3 dimensional object of matters exceeds this limit. When I'm looking at the cup next to me, physics tells us that if this cup was an objective 3 dimensional cup made of matter it couldn't exist. It exceeds the maximum entropy or the surface boundary it occupies and would collapse into a black hole.

What people like Hawking and Bekenstein showed was that this boundary corresponds to a 2 dimensional surface area 1/4 the size of it's volume. So information on this 2 dimensional surface area projects the 3 dimensional world that we see because again, physics tells us that an actual 3 dimensional cup or car made of matter would exceed this boundary and collapse into a black hole.

Let's say you fill up your closet with boxes, you would think the volume of your closet determines how many boxes you could fit into your closet. This isn't the case. How many boxes you can fit into your closet is determined by a 2 dimensional surface boundary 1/4 the size of it's volume. What this tells us is that the boxes that you're putting into your closet have to be a hologram or a phantasm because if they were a 3 dimensional objective reality, you would create a black hole in your closet because the boxes would exceed this limit or exceed maximum entropy.

I think the heart of the holographic principle is pretty simple and straightforward. It just goes back to Plato and the cave. He said when you tried to tell people the objective reality they experience is an illusion they will not be able to handle it. This simple description from Wiki sums it up:

The holographic principle states that the entropy of ordinary mass (not just black holes) is also proportional to surface area and not volume; that volume itself is illusory and the universe is really a hologram which is isomorphic to the information "inscribed" on the surface of its boundary.[9]

Here's a video of Brian Greene and Susskind talking about this:

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by neoholographic

Thanks I get what your saying I just don't know if I buy it at this point I think it still needs some work.

Anyway check page 5 of the thread that was one of the videos I said gave a decent explanation you may want to see the other two I posted.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by AfterInfinity

After having explained several times (directly to you one time) what a hologram actually is, it gets a bit aggravating.

Be nice to People over the holiday season........
Even if they are just Holograms

<< 5  6  7   >>

join