It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simulations back up theory that Universe is a hologram

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

interupt42
IMO , this virtual world theory if true would crush Christianity and most major religions.

Nope. If true, it would show that mainstream religions have been using a flawed exegesis. They will find rejuvenation and a new exegesis outside the mainstream of religion, in the mystical traditions. That's win-win.

edit on 19-12-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

IMO , this virtual world theory if true would crush Christianity and most major religions.

Except that the "theory" has nothing to do with virtuality or religion.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Now, way down the road, if the string hypothesis is demonstrated to be valid and if a way to manipulate strings could be found, it does leave the possibility of modifying the basic (and not so basic) laws of physics. Anyone think that would be good idea?

It depends. It could be great or catastrophic but one thing I am sure of is that if it can be done we will try. In fact aren’t we trying to do things like that right now? Particle accelerators come to mind. I read that when they were building the atom bomb they were afraid they may set of a chain reaction destroying everything. Calculated risk I guess with fingers crossed.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I read that when they were building the atom bomb they were afraid they may set of a chain reaction destroying everything. Calculated risk I guess with fingers crossed.
Not exactly. "They" weren't really afraid of that happening. The thought occurred to Teller that a fission reaction might start a fusion reaction in the atmosphere but on closer examination he found that it was not really anything to fret over.

It is impossible to reach such temperatures unless fission bombs or thermonuclear bombs are used which greatly exceed the bombs now under consideration.

www.fas.org...

In any case, both the ability to manipulate strings (if there is such a thing) and to predict the outcome of such manipulation is something for our children hundreds of generations hence.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Phage

And, BTW, a hologram is produced with a single light source.

"We have borrowed these clothes, these time-and-space personalities, from a light, and when we praise, we are pouring them back in." -Rumi

"No matter what a deluded man may think he is perceiving, he is really seeing Brahman and nothing else but Brahman. ...This universe, which is superimposed upon Brahman, is nothing but a name." -Shankara

"God made the illusion look real and the real an illusion." -Rumi

"The pure truth of Atman, which is buried under Maya (illusion) and the effects of Maya, can be reached by meditation, contemplation and other spiritual disciplines such as a knower of Brahman may prescribe." -Shankara

edit on 19-12-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Maybe this is a dumb question but why strings? What makes them think its all comprised of strings?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Do you have anything of your own to contribute?
Anything on topic?

edit on 12/19/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

A string is an object that can be visualized as either a particle (dot / point) or wave (line) depending on your perspective (observation). Heck -- it might have been "Noodle Theory." Maybe the Pastafarians are right?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Not composed of strings. The result of strings.

I don't know that the guys who are working on it actually believe it or that it really matters if they are right. Near as I can tell, at this point it's more of an exercise in extreme math than anything.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Phage

Do you have anything of your own to contribute?

Oh, am I irritating you? Sorry. Maybe you could use this opportunity to better understand yourself.

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves." -Carl Jung

As someone who has been outside of this "hologram" and has seen "the light", I testify to the truth of the quotes.

"Again, the mystics of many centuries, independently, yet in perfect harmony with each other (somewhat like the particles in an ideal gas) have described, each of them, the unique experience of his or her life in terms that can be condensed in the phrase: DEUS FACTUS SUM (I have become God).

To Western ideology, the thought has remained a stranger... in spite of those true lovers who, as they look into each other's eyes, become aware that their thought and their joy are numerically one, not merely similar or identical... "

-Erwin Schrödinger

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

So, the answer is no.
You don't have any thoughts of your own.
Or anything topic. Got it.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Phage

So, the answer is no.
You don't have any thoughts of your own.
Or anything topic. Got it.

Oh, it's all on topic. Someday, you'll see that. In the meantime, feel free to make snarky worthless posts like that. It doesn't bother me. Heck I probably would be a snarky jerk too, if I was watching my scientistic worldview go down the drain.

edit on 20-12-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yup. I definitely need to do some reading on the subject. Do recommend any books? Is there a string theory for dummies book out there? LOL

Dude your quotation salad of random thoughts is a bit annoying I know you wouldn’t be trying to troll but you may come off that way to others.

Do you have any of your own thoughts on the matter?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Grimpachi
Dude your quotation salad of random thoughts is a bit annoying I know you wouldn’t be trying to troll but you may come off that way to others.

Or maybe you're just being overly-sensitive?

Do you have any of your own thoughts on the matter?

If I did, would you respond to them? I'm asking because I actually HAVE added my own thoughts and testimony and you seem to have ignored them.

So maybe you and Phage could put the torches and pitchforks away, and be a bit more open-minded and inclusive.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Well, I think it means that materialism/naturalism/physicalism are false and the rules of science need to change, so that all the evidence that parapsychology has amassed over the last century can be disseminated. Then maybe we can take an evolutionary leap forward. But that's just my .02 cents.

Well to be fair the above is the only thing YOU actually said. I am not sure what you mean by the rules of science need to change. Maybe you could be a bit more specific by saying what rules need to change. I would have to disagree about materialism and naturalism being false and as far as physicalism being false I think you need to show what the non-physical properties are to be.

If you are not prepared to clarify then I will just take it as your 2 cents and nothing more.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Grimpachi
I would have to disagree about materialism and naturalism being false and as far as physicalism being false I think you need to show what the non-physical properties are to be.

Dude, space-time is an illusion. Everything in space-time is an illusion too. The only thing that's real is transpersonal consciousness. Not matter, not energy, not your body, not your brain, not your personal identity, not your bank account.

Consciousness is ontologically primary, matter is secondary. For a scientistic worldview to be correct, it would have to be the other way around.

How Consciousness Becomes the Physical Universe

Religion and mysticism are two different things. Knowing that, you can be fair by recognizing that mystics have been way ahead of science and religion for a long time. Waiting for you guys to catch up while trying to stay clear of witch-hunts from both sides of the aisle.

In a vast cross-cultural harmony that spans the ages, we mystics have known that consciousness is primary; that we are One. We've experienced it. Through direct experience, we have known that consciousness trumps space-time. That's what makes a mystic a mystic. That should give you pause and, if you're lucky, a slice of humble pie also. Science isn't the only way to know things. Science is clumsy, limited, and yet too important to be left to scientists. The same could be said about religion.

"All the Buddhas and all sentient beings are nothing but the One Mind, beside which nothing exists." -Huang Po

Thou art that.

With consciousness in its rightful place as philosophically primary, the field of parapsychology is vindicated. It must be invited inside the walls of science so that science can finally benefit from parapsychological findings. That's why the rules of science have to change. So it can be saved from scientism.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Phage
reply to post by interupt42

Except that the "theory" has nothing to do with virtuality or religion.

It was in response to how the poster was using it not the article itself. However, I probably could have used better terminology to reply to the posters premises .

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Very true.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
It's times like these that I'm glad that we have Phage around.

The amazing thing is this is one of many theories that describes the nature of the universe, and every one of them are mind boggling, and they are hard to explain simply.

But they are theories for now. For us to learn more we need to go beyond the standard model of physics, but we aren't any closer to that either. M theory is as close as we'll get for now.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Sooo to be clear you do not have anything to add to the conversation when it comes to the science aspect.

Got it I think we are clear on that.

Anyway here is the link that explains what I think of your post.link

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join