It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the drastic cold despite record heat? 2013 breaks record for volcanic eruptions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
As the climate change battle rages between the believers (myself included) and the skeptics, 2013 has set some records. Despite all the drastic cold weather that the US has been experiencing, the month of November was the hottest on record and the year 2013 saw 83 volcanic eruptions with the average year seeing 50 to 60.

The cold weather and the blizzards, along with some ice recovery in the Arctic, have given the skeptics reasons to shout from the rooftops. But, this may be all for not (hang with me a bit and I'll explain why IMO later). Okay, my fellow Americans, the world doesn't revolve around you. You may be freezing your ass off right now, but there are many more who swelter!

Note all the red for record warmth. I see a lot of red, but not a lot of the dark blue.

Last month was the warmest November since modern temperature record keeping began in 1880, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced today in its latest State of the Climate report, which summarizes climate-related news from around the world.

With a combined land and ocean surface temperature of 56.6 degrees Fahrenheit, November 2013 also was the 345th consecutive month – and the 37th November in a row – with a global temperature higher than the 20th century average, the NOAA report added.

November 2013 hottest on record

The article above from the Weather Channel states that there were no record cold months reported despite some above average cold tempts in only three parts of the world...North America, Greenland and northern Australia. Otherwise read on...

Higher-than-average monthly temperatures were reported on nearly every continent around the world, including much of Europe and Asia, coastal Africa, Central America and central South America, as well as in the North Atlantic Ocean, southwest Pacific Ocean and the Indian Ocean.

Russia experienced its warmest November since national weather records began in 1891, as some parts of the country like Siberia and the Arctic islands in the Kara Sea recorded temperatures more than 14 Fahrenheit degrees higher than the monthly average.

Anyways...why the extreme cold that's been blasting North America? IMO, it may have to do with the fact that we've also had a record year for volcanoes. There have been 83 eruptions this year while the average year usually sees about 50 to 60 (or once a week). I might also add that these 83 eruptions don't even include the underwater volcanoes like the one that recently created an island off the coast of Japan.

2013 breaks record for number of volcanic eruptions

In the article above it says that some scientists believe that many eruptions can actually result in a global temperature drop of two degrees. Many of these eruptions occur on the ring of fire, which is west of North America, and exactly where the jet stream would carry the ash plume. Volcanologists believe that the plumes only rise as high as the jet stream and that get caught up. So, the ash then gets carried by the jet stream. IMO, this may also be what's causing the jet stream to be so out of whack lately. The normal jet stream should be more of a straight line across the northern part of the United States and across to Europe. But, the last couple of years, that's not the case. It looks more like a roller coaster ride dipping all the way to the Gulf of Mexico and rising way up into Greenland, as it did this last spring. Well, you get the point.

An increase in volcanoes of this magnitude can actually cool the planet because the ash that goes up into the atmosphere helps shade solar radiation, but at the same time, these eruptions release more dangerous gases such as methane and carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide. So, if this dangerous trend continues, the more volcanic eruptions could be harmful and could help speed up this warming process. To sum up...a certain rise in volcanoes could possibly help to cool but a much higher rise in volcanoes will accelerate the warming trend due to the excessive amount of dangerous gases.

Conway wrote about the potential importance of the uptick in eruptions: “While most scientists may readily dismiss any significance to the latest figures and may be quick to say the planet is just experiencing normal geological activity, it does raise other concerns about just what may be transpiring within the interior of our planet.”

Having 23 to 33 eruptions more than usual represents a potentially significant increase in the amount of ash and gases entering into Earth’s atmosphere. Some analysts believe the increase could lower global temperatures by 2 degrees Celsius or more, which could be enough to alter agricultural yields in key regions.

You all know where I stand on the issue of whether we're warming or not. I believe the real threat remains methane gas release. You can read through my theories on dangerous gases in my signature and other articles in my profile about my research into the methane gas and the threat it poses to our planet. These increasing volcanic eruptions are more evidence of the planet's fever. People need to quit arguing over carbon taxes and realize that the real threat is methane and hydrogen sulfide gases. Not to say that carbon emissions aren't a threat, they just aren't as dangerous to us as methane. Read my dangerous gas theory threads for a more detailed explanation.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
They should have called it Climate Change from the start. Global Warming gave no quarter for extreme weather that was not warmer than usual.

There is no doubt we are seeing stronger storms and areas of abnormal cooling and of abnormal warming. The Earth is in constant flux, always has been always will be. The reasons for which cause so much argument that solutions quickly become bi-partisan.

We are just gonna have to learn to live with change. There was a reason most early humans were nomadic...

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Thanks Rezlooper, informative as always.

Having said that, I am a firm believer that any discussion on Climate change can not be complete without referencing that big heater in the sky. The heat that heats the Earth comes from the Sun. If you talk climate you need to start with the Sun. The Sun is at a dramatic low as far as its output is concerned, or at least in ways that we measure it.

I may a bit more soon.

There is little real information on the subject but there does seem to be a rise in temps in the years preceding the Marauder Minimum or Little Ice Age. Weather is volatile and I think changes in weather patterns tend to increase the volatility.

Honestly, we are just peeing into the wind with this. We have records going back a few centuries and everything else is extrapolated. It is just not enough real date. It is all guess work and much is pseudo science serving intense greed for both wealth and power.

Based on our current knowledge all that we can say is things are changing. Is it a hot change or is it a cold change, who knows, science does not have a clue.

P

edit on 19/12/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

The thing is, people keep talking about mini Ice Age, but the stats just don't show it. Only our part of the globe here in America is getting a winter blast of reality. The rest of the world continues to set heat records. Check out the map above and the sources for it. That's why it's so quiet on this thread...because the skeptics can't argue against plain cold hard facts!

In regards to the heater in the sky...it's been very quiet and a low point right now like scientists haven't seen and yet, our planet continues to warm and these volcanoes continue to erupt.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
S&F I have posted the 83 volcanos in 2013 and 82 in 2010 (both records) on some of the CC threads.. No one can argue that normally they have a cooling effect on our atmosphere.. Everything has an effect and my only argument for the whole discussion has been with the models that were used to get the whole alarmist's predicted results... So far the models have been wrong because the data insert was insufficient or corrupted by those seeking a certain outcome. Honest or corrupt either way the computer models have been wrong..

Also I will say this because I figure you will understand: The temps are measured from places where there is civilization for the most part. Airports and cities have a rather large heat sink due to all the asphalt and concrete; anyone who does not believe that ride a motorcycle or a convertible from the country to a city at night and you will hit the heat bubble (very noticeable due to temp change) The hotter the day was the more heat is absorbed and the bubble gets bigger. Yes heat rises but the radiated heat from all the buildings and man made structures continues to radiate. I have never measured the effect but it seems it can be at least 5 degrees or more especially during a cool night where you are almost getting cold then "bang" you hit the bubble and all is well temp wise..

I personally hope it is global warming (without all the money/tax grabbers) for if we are at the beginning of another ice age many more people will be displaced or die in their tracts.

As always a well presented thread

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

The thing is, people keep talking about mini Ice Age, but the stats just don't show it.

Let me ask a question.

If you put a rock in a fire, you will agree that the rock heats up. Now, take the rock out of the fire. Does it cool down instantly or does it cool over time. Does the whole rock cool equally or does it depend on other factors such as a breeze cooling one side faster than the other.

Expecting a direct and instant correlation is IMHO not quite right.

To further the point, we can only measure the Suns output based on our current knowledge. Let us suggest for a moment, just to demonstrate a point, that the Sun also emits Sub Space Waves that heat the Earth from the inside. Unfortunately we do not know about Sub Space Waves as yet so we do not have all the facts.

We do know that the Sun emits waves that do heat the Earth from below, possibly with those decreasing the balance of forces under the crust is shifting causing the rise in volcanic eruptions.

Science does not have the answers. Scientific egos do not like admitting that.

Planetary weather is an extremely complex system and we have only scratched the surface.

P

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Volcanic eruptions cause temps to drop, as the various waves from the sun are blocked, radiant and subsequent heat cannot penetrate the barrier formed from the solid particulate in the atmosphere, these eruptions lower the temprature amoung other effects...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Rez, could you provide a reliable source to support the claim volcanic activity was anywhere near record levels in 2013 ? Could you further produce any reference or data-set that would show how the alleged high volcanic activity translates into increased aerosol optical depth?

What does your 'danger gas theory' say about the exact physical mechanism or process by which atmospheric methane is causing surface temperatures to get warmer? How much contributes methane to the surface warming?

Thanks

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
what I notice ,, according to that map ,is most of all the areas that seem to be way above normal are in isolated areas that are more difficult to dispute because they are so remote,,the rest seem to be normal ,below or slightly above.....

notice they use term "near" instead of "normal" which most likely means they are below normal also...this the way these scammers like too hide this stuff....they don't lie ,,but they don't tell the whole truth either...not only that is doesn't even show the polar regions...now why could that be

they are running a scam for the money

NOAA / NASA was caught lying about this stuff before ....

edit on 21-12-2013 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Blowback
what I notice ,, according to that map ,is most of all the areas that seem to be way above normal are in isolated areas that are more difficult to dispute because they are so remote,,the rest seem to be normal ,below or slightly above.....

notice they use term "near" instead of "normal" which most likely means they are below normal also...this the way these scammers like too hide this stuff....they don't lie ,,but they don't tell the whole truth either...not only that is doesn't even show the polar regions...now why could that be

they are running a scam for the money

NOAA / NASA was caught lying about this stuff before ....

edit on 21-12-2013 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

Lying about the heat? LOL.

I'm in Florida right now, been here for a month now. It's hotter than hell. It's summer time temps hanging around in the mid 80's every day. Only twice has there been a cold front to come through and made some chilly nights and highs in the upper 60's for a couple of days. This follows an extremely hot summer with higher than average temps. It's talk among the locals. Today, in Orlando, they set records again and said it was 10 to 15 degrees above average in the area.

I highly doubt there is any lying going on about the global temps.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

You still haven't answered my questions, so i have to believe you don't have any answers. I know you don't have any reliable sources for most of the claims in your OP.

If you really believe we're in the middle of climate armageddon, why don't you check out the data once in awhile. Just to see if things are really out of the norm.

NOAA has a neat webtool here.

Plenty of climate data for continental U.S. in one place, and lots of fluff. You can plot temperature, precipitation, drought index etc. for the last 120 years. You have monthly/annual data, statewide, for climate divisions within states or for entire regions. You can select baseline periods, start & end-year, plot trends and you have a ranking for max/min anomalies.

It's really climate at a glance.

Not a single monthly all-time record broken in Florida this year, cold or hot. The year is turning out be extremely average. Out of the last ten years only 2012 made it into the top ten warmest years on record, 2010 ranks as the 5th coldest. The average annual temp. of the last decade is only slightly above the long-term mean and still below that of the mid 40's to 50's or the 90's.

click images to enlarge

The year-to-date annual average (Jan-Nov), no year of the last decade in the top ten min/max.
The last data-point is 2013.

Winter 4-month average (Nov-Feb), no top ten min/max the last decade. December 2010 coldest month on all-time record (-10°F below avg.). The last data-point is winter 2012-13.

Summer 4-month average (Jun-Sep), four top ten reords. August 2010 & 11 warmest all-time record (2.2°F). The last data point is summer 2013.

Nothing special about the Florida weather in 2013 so far. Over the last century year-to-year variability is all over the place. On a long-term trend, winters seem to get cooler and summers warmer, but that pattern will likely shift again in the near future. The all-time high record for Orlando still stands, 103°F in Sept. 1921. If Florida is getting too hot for you, maybe try Georgia.

edit on 22-12-2013 by talklikeapirat because: ado

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by talklikeapirat

Thanks for the link! I've spent... alot of time looking for such database.

new topics

top topics

join