It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck Dynasty, African Americans were happier under Jim Crow laws

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
People refuse to believe that there were whites just as poor as blacks in the South.
There was 1 lynching in 1981 and prior to that the last was in 1955.
Prior to that there was an average of 1 a year going back to 1939.
Odds are very good he never saw anyone lynched.
Why do people insist he must be lying?
- Oh right, the smear campaign against Southern Whites that's been going on since Reconstruction.
Who'd have figured Elite White Northerners who own the media would do something like that?
Just because of politics.

What passes for "knowledge" of Southern Whites these days is one of the biggest un-talked about conspiracies going.
Inbred, toothless redneck trailer trash who can't read. Yep, every last one of us.
History is written by the victors - remember?
Name the last President elected from the Deep South.
Keep thinking.......AR and MO are border states and don't count.

Here's Robertson's exact quotes:

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once," the reality star said of growing up in pre-Civil-Rights-era Louisiana. "Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' — not a word!"

Robertson continued, "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

Robertson must surely be lying according to A&E:

Noting that the remarks "go beyond being outlandishly inaccurate and offensive" and are actually "dangerous and revisionist, appealing to those in our society who wish to repeat patterns of discrimination," the letter said Robertson's "words show an unbridled lack of respect for African Americans and LGBT people, and the ongoing challenges members of our communities continue to experience on a daily basis."

It's still a Jim Crow hell down there in the South. Maybe they should mobilize the National Guard to stop the wholesale murder and oppression going on.

"Surely a brand like A&E does not want to be associated with such racist and homophobic remarks," it concluded.

Phil Robertson's real life experience fails to pass historical revisionist muster and must therefore be discounted. Everybody knows black people were never happy before the Great Society was enacted. The views of any white from the South must match our conception of complete oppression to be considered suitable.

A&E is the one being outrageous here.
I don't even watch Duck Dynasty and could care less until this nonsense came up.
edit on 21-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Have you personally witnessed this? I grew up in Mississippi in the 50's and 60's. My mother's people were the "poor white trash" side of the tracks. They would have starved rather than work in the same fields with "you know what". Separate fields, but not the same. Real hillbilly's will not even enter a "you know what" cemetery.
edit on 21-12-2013 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

People refuse to believe that there were whites just as poor as blacks in the South.

They are STILL the poorest people in America, and the government did this to them.

Central Appalachia has up to three times the national poverty rate, an epidemic of prescription drug abuse, the shortest life span in the nation, toothlessness, cancer and chronic depression. But everywhere in these hills, there are also young fighters filled with courage and hope.

Settled by tough pioneers who clawed their way over the Appalachian Mountains to expand America's borders, the region has produced some of the fiercest military fighters the country has seen. Like their ancestors before them, the children of the mountains are born fighters, and for two years, ABC News has documented the unique challenges some of these rural children face as they chase after their dreams.

People need to research the history and specifically about the miners, supplying coal to the north doing without electricity themselves, some to this day.

There are plenty you-tube videos.

I owe my soul to the company store aint no lie.

My dad and grandpa were blacksmiths in coal mines.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

I wasn't raised like that, although moms people came out of Kentucky and Tennessee, I never heard those words come out of her mouth, or any of my families mouths.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

They took Phils quotes from the TV show and put them in the GQ article, so since that show has already aired they don't have a leg to stand on.

They literally set him up.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I am probably much older than you. My grandparents were proud of their poverty and prejudices (both born in 1899). Nowadays, the attitudes are more hidden.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
What's scary is that there are fully funded groups out there with the sole purpose of silencing americans for expressing their rights to free speech. This is a perfect example of this act in progress.

Can't have no hillbilly telling the sheeple stuff.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

Mom have you seen this?

No I don't think this man is a racist.

youtu.be...

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I tried, but I could not get sound, my problem I am sure. I have a point of view that is different from your generation I suppose and maybe that is good. I grew up in the deep south before civil rights and all that. I could tell you stories that you would not believe anyway. I see nothing romantic about that time for people of color or even for women of all color. If that is what Mr. Robertson is representing, it is a false representation of reality. His personal journey of sin and crimes is one we all take irregardless of race. The 60's are a time we all reflect back on, our journey and how we got here when many our friends are gone.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

I like denying ignorance but to expose it is another thing, if this gentleman mentions Jim Crow, he definitely has some clue as to what it is or was , this man is the same age as some of my relatives that even marched in the civil rights movement and have pictures and recollections of the period in the 50's and 60's, colored only signs could be found all over the south well into the 60's, Phil is almost 70 years old, whoever seems to star or agree with your reply they need to go study some history and timelines, learn a little about history and the civil rights movement in America , he knew about and I guarantee being from the deep south, he knows all about it.
Can you find any other excuses that might be valid to defend the indefensible? or did I misinterpret the way you started the reply with a question of "how old is he"? are you defending or agreeing ?

Here is another breadcrumb, I am not even 50 years old and my birth certificate from the good old state of Virginia identifies my race as "colored" and that was not even the deep south.

edit on 21-12-2013 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I guess they weren't really worried about offending anyone or they wouldn't have aired it, right?
Just brand it all racist banter later and stir up controversy to boost ratings.
Oh lawdy! Pick a bale O' Cotton!

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Exactly, give anyone, tv personality or just average Joe a mouthpiece and put them in front of a camera, ask them some canned gotcha questions and then let the games begin, regardless or not if their response is ignorant or not well founded, that is even more attractive to the media to propagate and continue to perpetuate ignorance or to stir up controversy.

The best example is when the news reporter finds the dumbest or most illiterate person in the area to make a comment on whatever news event occurred or their opinion, the network could easily discount that comment and use one of the more coherent responses , they instead choose the dumbest and air it, they usually give a thumbs up to air the dumbest or most misinformed comment, and there you have it, ignorance stamped and given the green light.

The director or network control always have the option to cut or air something, but the troubling thing since this OP, No Dr. Phil , Mr. Phil, duck Phil, Phil the ignorant backwoods hunter, or whatever he calls himself keeps digging himself deeper and deeper into the dung pile of ignorance, and the ignorant are flocking to his defense in droves.

edit on 21-12-2013 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

AshleyD
This whole thing is making me sick. There is no way this many bloggers and news articles are this retarded to completely miss his point.

Umm, no... they really are that retarded. 90% of the world is retarded now. When you accept that fact, a lot of things start to make a lot of sense.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by phinubian

He is a fraud and a fake. He is playing you guys like a fine tuned violin. Deny your own ignorance.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

MOMof3

I tried, but I could not get sound, my problem I am sure. I have a point of view that is different from your generation I suppose and maybe that is good. I grew up in the deep south before civil rights and all that. I could tell you stories that you would not believe anyway. I see nothing romantic about that time for people of color or even for women of all color. If that is what Mr. Robertson is representing, it is a false representation of reality. His personal journey of sin and crimes is one we all take irregardless of race. The 60's are a time we all reflect back on, our journey and how we got here when many our friends are gone.

Wow. Let me see "romantic". Nope he didn't say anything about that unless you consider hand cultivation romantic.

What you and some others need to understand about yourselves is that you are gender bigots and race bigots in that it is clearly impossible for you to show any respect for a male white talking about anything. In fact you are so ignorant about it that you cant even be made to notice.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   

MOMof3

Have you personally witnessed this? I grew up in Mississippi in the 50's and 60's. My mother's people were the "poor white trash" side of the tracks. They would have starved rather than work in the same fields with "you know what". Separate fields, but not the same. Real hillbilly's will not even enter a "you know what" cemetery.
edit on 21-12-2013 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

Yep. I have seen it both ways and the other way around, racism from both sides and not. The most racist folks I have ever seen on both sides have been from the north. Blacks can certainly be as ignorant as whites for sure.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I did not know there were cotton fields in the North.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
DAMMITT!!!!

This isn't what he said. Not only is it not what he said, but it isn't even a context thing. They made those words up.

For the love of CHrist ATS. How am I supposed to do what Skeptic Overlord asks by being nice when this stupid crap keeps cropping up?

Step 1 to denying ignorance: deny lies.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Yup.

What kind of discrimination is it when you are a northerner and want to broad brush entire states below the Mason Dixon?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

MOMof3

Which generation would that be? My father grew up during the depression and fought in WWII. His parents (my grand parents) were both born before 1900. What difference does that make? I grew up in the South also. The fact is everyone's experience is unique. Although I did not grow up dirt poor, my experience was similar to Phil's. I did not see people being beaten nor did I fear for my life. I was not aware of abuse to different races because I didn't witness it. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, I just didn't see it. Just because racism occurred in some parts of the South doesn't mean it happened in all parts of the South.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join