It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck Dynasty, African Americans were happier under Jim Crow laws

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I have heard people claiming that this is all a ratings ploy. That doesn't make sense to me.
I have never watched the show (I pay for local reception only, as TV shows in my opinion are almost completely worthless), but from what I understand, they were already the highest rated show on cable, so why would they even need a ratings ploy?

It just seems to me like the thought police are at it again, as usual.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
i see no reason to believe hes racist or anything. nothing is implied by what he said.

but it is revealing, hes unknowingly sharing his ignorance of the greater world of politics and society around him as he grew up. dont know if thats something to be ashamed of or not. maybe it couldnt be helped if he grew up with hardships and distractions and had peer black people of the same situation.
maybe its a blessing thats all he saw lol

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I have seen the oldest son of Phil Robertson on just two episodes of Duck Dynasty.
He isn't black. There must be some other reason he isn't on more episodes.
Is it possible that there may another reason that 'lil Will' isn't showcased, other than the conclusion that you jumped to?
Do you know that other white grandchildren have never been on the show at all? Will you jump to the conclusion that they must be gay?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

He didn't say it, he just said he never saw mistreatment of blacks. He must have thought they didn't want to eat in the restaurants he ate in, or that they all wanted to sit in the balcony of the movie theaters, or that they might not have wanted to attend the schools he did. On this one, at least, he should apologize, because he could not have grown up in the Deep South of the U.S. and not known that segregation was a fact and a way of life.

Lol.

I can just hear it now: "Heck, who doesn't wanna ride in the back of the doggone bus?"

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

TheWrightWing
Again, another example of leftists relying on twisting and inventing someones assertion to support their laughable point.

Before Democrats "War On Poverty" destroyed more black families and created more black poverty than ever before in American history, blacks were likelier much happier in general than today.

His personal experience is all he knows, he never saw white hatred among the blacks he knew, so leftists must spin this into "He said Jim Crow laws made Blacks Happier!"

As with all leftist points, its based on deception, dishonesty and plain lies.

Let's not forget: Jim Crow; Bull Connor = Democrats.

Exactly.
Democrats have a long history of racial terrorism against african descended americans.
Republicans have a long history of civil rights for minorities.
Both are owned by the offshore mega elite,corporate and MIC.

This pro-statist authoritarian system loves to play on the sheeple's tribal fears,greed, ego and artificial scarcity of resources. Not playing their insane game.

This is playing into the current marxist regime's hands. Churning out red meat to the delusional leftist statist sheeple.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

RalagaNarHallas
en.wikipedia.org...
www.shreveporttimes.com...

Michael J. Pfeifer, a professor at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Wash., further categorizes types of mobs in a database of Louisiana lynchings he compiled. His database, available on the Internet, lists 27 lynchings in Caddo Parish and 31 in Bossier Parish between 1878 and 1946. The last lynching occurred in Caddo in 1923 and last in Bossier in 1925, according to Pfeifer's information.
so according to that the last lynching happened well before mr Robertson was born (1946) so perhaps he did not see the racial strife that was prevalent in parts of the south at the time

www.secondclassjustice.com... yep seems the parish had a history of racisim up until the late 1920's but could not find any taking place during the time of "jim crow laws" but during the time of reconstruction following the civil war but if any one can find any evidence of hate crimes occuring where he lived during the time it might change my opnion

He was 22 years old when MLK was assassinated and yet he was completely oblivious of the Civil Rights movement or the fact that he grew up in a segregated area where things like the below were going on?

Caddo: The Rev. E. Edward Jones files suit on behalf of his daughter, Beryl, calling for desegregation of Caddo Parish schools. Later that year, Arthur Burton, Brenda Braggs and Beryl Jones become the first black students to attend an all-white school in Caddo Parish as schools become integrated.

source - Shreveport Times

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

He might have been. He lived a hard life at that age full of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.

How many people do you know who live like that who are fully politically engaged? Ever watch the Waters World segments on O'Reilly or any other man on the street segments for that matter.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

diggindirt
First, I have never watched the show (don't have cable) but I don't live under a rock so I've heard a lot about it.
Second, I'm a bit younger than Phil but I grew up the rural south just a few years later and I can honestly say the same thing: I never saw blacks treated badly. My father had a construction business and had black labor from time to time. Those laborers were the only blacks I knew. When they came to our home they were treated no differently from white laborers who came to our home. And this may be shocking to some of you but at that time, in the south, not every black person thought that Martin Luther King was heaven-sent to bring them out of poverty. I remember one man in particular who was very vocal about King and his cronies. When King's name was mentioned he always referred to him as "that rabble-rouser."
Third, it's a TV show folks! My daddy told me when I first saw a TV---it's not real.
That's not to say that the Robertson family doesn't hold deep religious beliefs but honestly, I don't see why people are getting their hair in a twist over an interview in a magazine. Being my cynical self I have to wonder what it is that msm ISN'T covering while they're ranting on and on about a fellow who answered questions truthfully about his beliefs on sin and such.

So you knew Uncle Ruckus? There's people like that even now, like H.K. Edgerton (google him sometime). Where Phil went wrong wasn't necessarily when he stated that he'd not witnessed mistreatment, it was that he continued to embellish by saying that black folks were "singing and happy" and "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.” So not only is he saying that he didn't witness mistreatment but that he believes black people were happier when he was growing up (which happens to be prior to the end of Jim Crow laws) and then finishes off with the welfare jab.
edit on 2013-12-19 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

do you even have proof he was in college/or other school at the time in his local comunity? did the town even have a school or a college? were you there did you see him at some klan ralley? all he said was that in being poor white trash(his words not mine) he did not encounter any racial tension in his comunity and did not get any hostility from the local black population based on him being white

he went to lousiana tech university in ruston on a football scholar ship ie not in the town he lived in so again he was talking about the African Americans in his community at the time,note this is not to say they werent happening just that he personally did not witness any or have any problems with his interactions in the African American community at the time

turned down a pro football job to go hunting instead so perhaps he was just off on his own in the woods for most of the time period of the civil rights movement in his area? that or sky high and drunk and on drugs depending on the time of his life you reference (drug use seemed to be in the early to late 70s)

again to reiterate he said he didnt witness any racism or receive hatred him self for being white from the black community at the time that does not mean it was not going on just that it was not a factor in his life

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

usernameconspiracy
reply to post by calstorm

I agree with everything you have said in your OP. I would add that A&E also has a right to suspend an employee if he or she makes remarks in public that might be against the interests of A&E. Personally, I think the "suspension" is a temporary thing, and more for that last minute Christmas shopping push than anything, but they certainly have the right to do it.

I'll just leave this here.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII)
This law makes it illegal to discriminate against someone on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex. The law also makes it illegal to retaliate against a person because the person complained about discrimination, filed a charge of discrimination, or participated in an employment discrimination investigation or lawsuit. The law also requires that employers reasonably accommodate applicants' and employees' sincerely held religious practices, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the operation of the employer's business.

and this

UNLAWFUL EMPLOYMENT PRACTICES
SEC. 2000e-2. [Section 703]

(a) Employer practices

It shall be an unlawful employment practice for an employer -

(1) to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual, or otherwise to discriminate against any individual with respect to his compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, because of such individual’s race, color, religion, sex, or national origin; or

discharged for expressing his religious beliefs....
edit on 19-12-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

RalagaNarHallas

do you even have proof he was in college/or other school at the time in his local comunity? did the town even have a school or a college? were you there did you see him at some klan ralley? all he said was that in being poor white trash(his words not mine) he did not encounter any racial tension in his comunity and did not get any hostility from the local black population based on him being white

he went to lousiana tech university in ruston on a football scholar ship ie not in the town he lived in so again he was talking about the African Americans in his community at the time,note this is not to say they werent happening just that he personally did not witness any or have any problems with his interactions in the African American community at the time

turned down a pro football job to go hunting instead so perhaps he was just off on his own in the woods for most of the time period of the civil rights movement in his area? that or sky high and drunk and on drugs depending on the time of his life you reference (drug use seemed to be in the early to late 70s)

again to reiterate he said he didnt witness any racism or receive hatred him self for being white from the black community at the time that does not mean it was not going on just that it was not a factor in his life

I'm guessing that if he turned down a college scholarship, he wasn't home schooled and if he was 18 in 1964, he most likely graduated within a year of school desegregation in the county he was living in. Does this seem like something one would be likely to miss? I'm also guessing that if he graduated from high school and was noticed by a collegiate football program, he wasn't exactly in a drug coma in some shanty in the woods for at least the first 18 years of his life.

How about the fact that he said he was "with the blacks" because he was "white trash?" Isn't that him acknowledging that blacks and poor whites constituted the lower class? The problem isn't that he said he'd never seen mistreatment of black people, he stated that black people were happier when he was growing up (which happened to be in the late 40's to early 60's, during the time of segregation and Jim Crow laws), and was, in his own words, "pre-welfare."

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

sigh again the twisting of words,he was saying he had no problem with the blacks as he was as poor if not more then them perhaps that was a factor in why he got less stigma from the black comunity then alot of other white people at the time during the jim crow era. he worked along side them that probally helped too instead of ordering them around or commanding them like a plantation owner.

why do you find it so hard to believe that perhaps during jim crow laws not every single black person hated white people for what was happening to them? is that not racist thinking assuming that just because hes poor and got along with them that he is some how belittling them?

i am sure during the crow era there were places in Alaska that did not give a flying frack who you were or what you were,and perhaps his area had less racial tension or perhaps he was just not looking for it as it didnt matter to him what with being poor and all and being busy trying not to starve.what im getting at is just because it was a horrible time in our country's history does not mean that every community experienced it in the same way or was effected by it.

not being effected by something is not the same as condoning or encouraging it.

here is another out of the box way of looking at it perhaps with the segregation he did not notice it be cause they were not around (ie how do you notice something if you cant witness it?)
i live in montana i do not personally hear any one speak ill of African Americans on the regular basis,now does this mean i have no people in my state that may dislike African Americans no that would be a logical fallacy and i am sure there are a few racists around.

now am i racist for not seeing it personally or by not being effected by it personally or is it because in my area African Americans are not as common as other states and larger cities so there for i am less likely to witness racist acts against them due to the fact there are none around for me to witness being persecuted?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

It’s just not sensible to project ones perspective (of a white man's experience) with the perspective and experience of an oppressed group( black people in America under Jim Crow).

Would I claim to understand how Jews felt under Hitler?

Or How Palestinians feel under Israeli occupation.

This white man at the time didn’t have to worry about getting lynched if he looked at a white woman

Could get a job far easier than the average black man

Could move and live where he wanted tp

Could go to any school in the land

Those same could not be said for black people

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

en.wikipedia.org... just saying invoking nazi's when the conversation has nothing to do with it rarely ends well on the interwebs

all he was doing was stating his opinion based on his observations how do you know the black people around him felt oppressed? do you have income data for whites vs blacks in that town during the years of jim crow laws? do you know for a fact Mr Robertson made more money then his black neighbors or was paid more to do the same job as them? if he was you would think that he would have received more negative comments or complaints. the point i think he was trying to make was that to them at the time it didnt matter they both worked hard doing identical jobs and were in the same economic situation at the time implying that for HIS limited view of his tiny town he did not expierence much divsion on racial lines.

you would think if he had been bigoted against African Americans in that time some one would have come froward with claims or tales from his past (hes not that old so its not like all his friends and neighbors are dead)

but for what its worth this is what i could find on the history of the town he grew up in www.caddohistory.com... at lest the train station had segregated ticket counters so ill give ya that one but as a poor youth i dobut he took the train all that often(assumption of mine no way of prooving it)

www.caddohistory.com...

Although in the 1940s and 1950s Caddo Parish was a segregated community, Sheriff Flournoy was the first Caddo Parish sheriff to appoint African-American deputies to the force of the Sheriff's Office. In that era the jail and juvenile division of the Sheriff's Office segregated inmates not only by gender, as is still done, but by race as well. By 1957 the first five black Caddo deputies were in uniform and serving in equal capacities to their white counterparts. These first black deputies were: Lieutenant A. W. "Jack" Walton, under whom were Buford Norris (Civil and Criminal Department), Clinton Reeves (Juvenile Division, Colored Section), Henry Bell (Juvenile Division, school officer), and George Birdsong (traffic officer).

so it was segregated(as was most of the south sadly) but they still saw fit to elect black police officers who were on equal footing as the white officers perhaps again backing up that while segregation existed it seems lynchings and keeping African Americans from power were not on the towns agenda.and might explain the lessened tension between the races in the town.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Are we really discussing a "reality show" on ATS???
I guess Hollywood has more folks hoodwinked than I thought.
Did the rednecks not have enough ratings?
All of this extra press will surely make them millions more...
Now the "informed" have a new American Idol.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

calstorm
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

Possible, but surely he was aware of it happening, even if only through television, radio or word of mouth.

Surely, he was aware that that because of what he same in his little part of the country was not representative of what was happening in the rest of his country. His comment appears to be generalized to encompass all black people of the time.

oh yeah, all us white people at the time, must share the guilt, even to this day!
probably the future and beyond, too.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

TheWrightWing

calstorm
reply to post by TheWrightWing

If you want to argue that the the article is not a clear representation of the intentions of his statement then fair enough.

I would also argue that the headline you picked for this thread is identical to how leftists twist and invent assertions made by people they don;t like.

He never once claimed that Jim Crow Laws made Blacks Happier, but your sort are all too happy to perpetuate leftist dishonesty.

but that's what phil meant tho, right?

it's obvious what he meant to say! he didn't say it, right out of his mouth but that's what he meant!

lol!

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I don't watch duck dynasty, because I don't have cable. But I will say this much, we have many different shows on television that support gay people, and they are given their platform and vision to express themselves as they see fit. Do I like it? Well, not really. At the same time, you won't ever find me screaming and crying that all of the gays get pulled off television because I think they have a right to their freedoms as well.

However!

If a straight man stands up for whatever he chooses to believe in, then.... we just can't have that. The man has a right to his beliefs, opinions, and choice to live as he does TOO. Just as the gay folks do.

I'm not saying I side in with Phil and his views in particular either, but I do think it's hypocritical to expect one person to keep his mouth shut about his beliefs, while gays expect everyone to accept them and their television shows too. Just sayin!

edit on 20-12-2013 by Taissa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

tsingtao

TheWrightWing

calstorm
reply to post by TheWrightWing

If you want to argue that the the article is not a clear representation of the intentions of his statement then fair enough.

I would also argue that the headline you picked for this thread is identical to how leftists twist and invent assertions made by people they don;t like.

He never once claimed that Jim Crow Laws made Blacks Happier, but your sort are all too happy to perpetuate leftist dishonesty.

but that's what phil meant tho, right?

it's obvious what he meant to say! he didn't say it, right out of his mouth but that's what he meant!

lol!

So glad you added mind reading to your list of abilities. Now if only I could read your mind we'd be even.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join