It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck Dynasty, African Americans were happier under Jim Crow laws

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...
www.shreveporttimes.com...

Michael J. Pfeifer, a professor at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Wash., further categorizes types of mobs in a database of Louisiana lynchings he compiled. His database, available on the Internet, lists 27 lynchings in Caddo Parish and 31 in Bossier Parish between 1878 and 1946. The last lynching occurred in Caddo in 1923 and last in Bossier in 1925, according to Pfeifer's information.
so according to that the last lynching happened well before mr Robertson was born (1946) so perhaps he did not see the racial strife that was prevalent in parts of the south at the time

www.secondclassjustice.com... yep seems the parish had a history of racisim up until the late 1920's but could not find any taking place during the time of "jim crow laws" but during the time of reconstruction following the civil war but if any one can find any evidence of hate crimes occuring where he lived during the time it might change my opnion

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
In that same era, Phil Robertson never, ever shot at a soviet spy from the former USSR.

Therefore he must be a communist!

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWrightWing

If you want to argue that the the article is not a clear representation of the intentions of his statement then fair enough.

While it appears to me that he is being ignorant and ignoring the suffering of that time period, others do not see it that way and they have valid points.
However please do not bring the right vs. left issue into this. That is irrelevant. The issue at hand is whether is comments were inappropriate and racist or if his views were misconstrued.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

Possible, but surely he was aware of it happening, even if only through television, radio or word of mouth.

Surely, he was aware that that because of what he same in his little part of the country was not representative of what was happening in the rest of his country. His comment appears to be generalized to encompass all black people of the time.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

calstorm

If you want to argue that the the article is not a clear representation of the intentions of his statement then fair enough.

I would also argue that the headline you picked for this thread is identical to how leftists twist and invent assertions made by people they don;t like.

He never once claimed that Jim Crow Laws made Blacks Happier, but your sort are all too happy to perpetuate leftist dishonesty.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

calstorm

While it appears to me that he is being ignorant and ignoring the suffering of that time period, others do not see it that way and they have valid points.
However please do not bring the right vs. left issue into this. That is irrelevant. The issue at hand is whether is comments were inappropriate and racist or if his views were misconstrued.

You are making a huge assumption. What reference point would he have to know about their suffering? He describes himself as white trash which translates to poor. If he was in the fields hoeing cotton, I highly doubt his family had the money to go to a restaurant. So how would he know blacks were not allowed in? He has no reference point to know these things. His reference point is, he worked with them and saw no one abusing them. He also did not hear them complain of abuse. How would he know?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Has it occurred to anyone he just wanted off the show & out of his contract and this is the fastest way to make that happen? That was my first thought.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

calstorm
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

Possible, but surely he was aware of it happening, even if only through television, radio or word of mouth.

What makes you think his family could afford a tv or a radio?

How is it leftists fault everyone for not being leftist activists?

All he knows is his childhood, he only knows his story.

And since it was not sufficiently activist enough for your sort, that must mean he says "Jim Crow Laws = Happier Blacks!"

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Caver78

The hard stands and hard words coming around and continuing now without that clarification rules it out to me. If they wanted a smooth exit and this was by choice, a lot of what is being said now wouldn't be, IMO.

Nope..it hasn't crossed my mind at all. I think Phil got the boot.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

no you and others are twisting it to appear to be that way,hes saying bluntly the black people around him were about as happy as he was at the time what with them both being dirt poor at the time (pre millions and duck commander) again he said the blacks around him did not seem to be angry or upset with any white people solely for being white,perhaps because they were at the same economic level (more equal then in other parts of the usa at the time) there was less tension back during the jim crow laws.

does any one have any numbers for wage discrepancy at the time( i know they have to be somewhere as they were happening during the time of jim crow laws) compared to the wages paid to where he grew up. to again futher clarify he was not saying every black in America loved them some jim crow laws but that during the time where there was racial tension across parts of the nation there was NONE where he lived and that he PERSONALLY witnessed none of it him self.

and by saying he thinks "jim crow laws were awesome" just because they did not negatively effect his region is twisting his words and implying things wrongly waaaaay beyond the scope of what he actually said and ment by his statements

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
First, I have never watched the show (don't have cable) but I don't live under a rock so I've heard a lot about it.
Second, I'm a bit younger than Phil but I grew up the rural south just a few years later and I can honestly say the same thing: I never saw blacks treated badly. My father had a construction business and had black labor from time to time. Those laborers were the only blacks I knew. When they came to our home they were treated no differently from white laborers who came to our home. And this may be shocking to some of you but at that time, in the south, not every black person thought that Martin Luther King was heaven-sent to bring them out of poverty. I remember one man in particular who was very vocal about King and his cronies. When King's name was mentioned he always referred to him as "that rabble-rouser."
Third, it's a TV show folks! My daddy told me when I first saw a TV---it's not real.
That's not to say that the Robertson family doesn't hold deep religious beliefs but honestly, I don't see why people are getting their hair in a twist over an interview in a magazine. Being my cynical self I have to wonder what it is that msm ISN'T covering while they're ranting on and on about a fellow who answered questions truthfully about his beliefs on sin and such.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Most American seem to forget that the Jim Crow Laws were only part of a thread that runs through this county's history. We have always focused on, and oppressed ethnic groups. In the 1840's we, a nation of immigrants, had anti-immigrants riots, prior to the civil war we had the same laws against the Irish ("Irish need not apply signs" in New York), During the Grant Administration the three main issues facing the country were the German problem, the Irish problem and the American Indian problem. During World War One, some states had restrictive laws against those of German decent. The list of offenses we have inflected on "those other people" is vast. However, we would like to believe that these are in our past and move on. But, with statements like this we see that these ideals still linger in our culture. When he stated that he had never seen these problem, if he was implying that these never happened, then he would be adhering to the racism of the past. This could only be seen as offensive. However, we could also see him as a product of his environment.

Recently, I was in Nashville, NC. The court house there has a monument to those soldiers who lost there lives in World War One. However, it has two placards bearing the names of these veterans. The first which is very decorative bears the title "The White Soldiers". The other, lesser one is titled "The Colored Soldiers". So, if we as American are still proudly demonstrating our adherence to the hatred and abuses of the past, we have not yet lived up to the ideas of freedom and liberty which we use only in our propaganda.

As to the topic of Freedom of speech,"The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."

The quote is from Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

In this case, yes he has the right to state his views, but not to offend others, nor to suggest that oppression brings godliness and happiness to the oppressed.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Khaleesi

But as an educated man who is now a multimillionaire Surely he is aware now. Surely he knows what he witnesses was not representative of the entire country.
It would be interesting to read the entire unedited interview.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The author of this article twisted his words so badly that this really should be labeled a hoax or even charged with libel.

Phil made no such statement. This is very twisted liberal logic. Only the race baiting media could take a quote from a man who is talking about his old black friends and coworkers, talks about how good things were between them, how they worked side by side and everyone got a long, he never witnessed any violence or hate between whites and blacks: BOOM! Racist. lol

The author of this spin should be ashamed, really.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

calstorm
Surely he knows what he witnesses was not representative of the entire country.

He never claimed it was representative of the whole country as far as I know or all blacks everywhere! LOL! He mentioned it was his own personal experience growing up with the people he worked with.

This whole thing is making me sick. There is no way this many bloggers and news articles are this retarded to completely miss his point. This shaming of him is obviously being done by design in a cohesive movement by media agencies.

He NEVER said it the way it is being portrayed but hundreds of websites are carrying this story with the 'Jim Crow' slant (something that never came out of his mouth once).

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I think people get confused on the freedom of speech. A&E has the right to not show what they want on their network. I don't agree with their move, but it is their right to do whatever they want. Just like the mods here ban people from their site.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

calstorm
reply to post by Khaleesi

But as an educated man who is now a multimillionaire Surely he is aware now. Surely he knows what he witnesses was not representative of the entire country.

You say it would be interesting to read the entire interview? Look at the TITLE OF YOUR THREAD! Without reading the entire interview you decided to use that title? Really? He said what he witnessed at the time. Not what he knows now to be true now. As you said, it would be interesting to read the ENTIRE interview but you made a snap judgement when you posted this thread using the interviewers words of Jim Crow. From what we see Phil never used those words. Be honest about what we know was said. Stop making assumptions and knee jerk reactions.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

LDragonFire
Isn't Willy's son mixed? I have rarely seen him on the show but you see Johnluke all the time. Other than this kids there isn't many black folk in Old Monroe and they certainly are not around for the prayer and dinner on Sunday.
edit on 19-12-2013 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

This is a observation that my kids have made. You have 2 separate scenes some have the family only but most I think you have the employees. I have found one with Lil Willy at the dinner table. I posted that for my kids to see a example of the right wing republican conservative attempts to re right history. Racism doesn't exist, racism ended with Rosa Parks according to the republican party, if racism is suggested the attacks begin.

Phil On Growing Up in Pre-Civil-Rights-Era Louisiana “I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

If no black people share there dinner table how would they know if they have suffered or not?
I don't blame Phil but this is what conservative media is preaching
gq.com

Do compare: lil willie robertson and john luke robertson

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Aleister

Okay, I understand what you're saying there. It was a very bad time and unfortunately for all, as it happened, black people were held down while white people who didn't fit into good 'ol boy networks running the counties didn't get much better treatment across much of the south.

At least that's my read understanding of it. Hearing first hand descriptions from instructors alive to have seen the Poll Tax in practice is chilling...but it was also interesting to hear them talk about how many whites that also pissed off at the time for being wrong.

I thought you were saying he couldn't have been sincere about not directly seeing mistreatment of blacks relative to his own station in life. It sounds like that is quite plausible given his self described status of 'white trash'. Obviously far removed from the good 'ol boys network of their area at the time.

Well said. And rural whites in much of the South, as I understand it, were denied the vote as much as blacks were. The network in power, and there usually is one, was entrenched by controlling the voting rolls. Poor whites and poor blacks were on the outside looking in, and the lucky white ones were smart enough to go to the black's jazz halls and other music venues. Where they would have been welcomed. The deep south segregation held a traditional and habitual hold on everyone, blacks and whites, and no group of people came along to know that they would be the people who would completely break that mold until 1960.

And Phil (I don't even know his last name, that's how clueless I am about the show outside of knowing it's got something to do with hunting), like everyone, had his own unique experience of the era and it sounds like he may truly mean what he said and will just be educated now, probably by his black friends who will feel compelled to talk to him about his public comments. So my apologies to Phil for thinking I know for a fact what his mindset is and how he came to the point of view he has. I just meant that it's hard imaging anyone who lived in that era not eventually realizing that there was a chance he missed a lot at the time.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
When is Fox News gonna give him his own show?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join