It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Precognition is normal, not paranormal.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I apologize if the title is misleading, but I have no better words to describe what I’m about to explain.

Let me start with the definition of paranormal:

"Beyond the range of normal experience or scientific explanation"- the free dictionary

Let's dissect the first part of the definition -Beyond the range of normal experience.

How many of you out there has experienced Deja Vu? If you haven't yourself than you will almost certainly know someone who has. Millions (if not billions) of people have experienced this phenomena, in fact it occurs so regularly that we pay little attention to it, and view the event as significant as a fly landing in our drink, so that rules out precognition as being beyond the normal experience.

I know what some of you you're thinking- “Mr Thecakeisalie, you are ignoring the probability factors, Constants and variables, etc. ” But how does that explain someone seeing the same leaf fall from the same tree twice?

That's where the second part of the definition comes into play-Beyond the range of scientific explanation.

This is probably the most infuriating aspect of deja vu/precognition, I for one would love science to explain how these events occur, but there is no way that anyone can prove it with any certainty. However certain 'book reading science type folk' quickly label the subject as rubbish and not worthy of further investigation.

But yet their views are yet to be quantified-E8 theory, Sugra, there is no proof of these theories but yet these eggheads will die by the sword and flip the bird to anybody that disagrees with them. Dark matter and dark energy cannot be explained, and therefore lie in the realm of the paranormal, because they are beyond the range of scientific explanation.

So there you have it. If Precognition can be defined as paranormal, then it's up to some people in the scientific community to prove their theories aren't paranormal. Deja vu is just as common as gravity which is why I don't understand how it's dismissed so quickly.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The psychologist Edward B. Titchener in his book 1928 A Textbook of Psychology, explained déjà vu as caused by a person having a brief glimpse of an object or situation, before the brain has completed "constructing" a full conscious perception of the experience. Such a "partial perception" then results in a false sense of familiarity.[1] Scientific approaches reject the explanation of déjà vu as "precognition" or "prophecy", but rather explain it as an anomaly of memory, which creates a distinct impression that an experience is "being recalled

link   
How do you think scientists should study déjà vu?

link   

Antipathy17
The psychologist Edward B. Titchener in his book 1928 A Textbook of Psychology, explained déjà vu as caused by a person having a brief glimpse of an object or situation, before the brain has completed "constructing" a full conscious perception of the experience. Such a "partial perception" then results in a false sense of familiarity.[1] Scientific approaches reject the explanation of déjà vu as "precognition" or "prophecy", but rather explain it as an anomaly of memory, which creates a distinct impression that an experience is "being recalled

wiki

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Whatever............................

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
We all have Precognition. I think it is some form of communication myself. Someone was there before, someone who you are connected to. Learning to use something that they say does not exist is the hurdle we have to overcome. It will not help you win the Lottery though because most of the time nobody has advanced knowledge that can raise the odds. If you were linked to someone fixing the game, then sure...you could win. It only works when someone or something you are linked to knows the information.

So you are watching a new police mystery or detective show and within minutes you can tell what is going to happen. Is this superior wit or are you linked to someone who has seen it? I think this communication is probably real from studying many articles about it. If you are blocked by the person doing this, you cannot pass a test on it. See, the cards he sees can be blocked by his mind. Others are an open book, an experienced card player can both block others access to his mind and read others thoughts. Don't decide to play against a pro card player.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

I would've elaborated further but my browser threw a tantrum and it took ten seconds for my keystrokes to register on screen.

Now that the problem is fixed I can continue.

When I talk about precog I'm not talking about the charlatans who claim to see into the future (i'm still waiting for their lottery numbers) but the everyday occurrences that somehow permeate into our everyday lives (incidental precognition). It's actually quite amusing when you see someone experience deja vu; it's like for a single moment all the pieces of the puzzle fit together, and a moment later it's all lost.

You can argue that it's extreme probability that drives these events, but when you see the same person, in the same spot, performing the same action, the chances of that happening are slim to none.

The most befuddling question is "where did I see this before?" that is the question I want answered. These images and feelings must come from somewhere,anywhere. Yes there is a school of thought that states that consciousnesses creates reality but frankly I'm too tired to entertain that idea at the moment.

If i were to hazard a guess, maybe somewhere in our brains we have particles that are in a state of quantum entanglement with particles in our atmosphere. As Carl Sagan said we are all star dust, at one stage the particles that make up our grey matter may have entangled with others in a stars death throes.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I like the title of the thread. I think a lot of things that we don't understand are labeled paranormal, but are really just normal parts of our existence and our world.

I'm curious...Is it considered precognition when you are thinking about someone and then they call you moments later? My mom and I do this frequently. In fact, at least three times I can remember we have picked up the phone to call the other and found our lines were already connected without the phones ringing! Haha! It sometimes feels very spooky to us, but we have gotten used to it over the years. (BTW, we don't talk on the phone daily - maybe just once a week or so on average and then we see each other about once or twice a week too.)

I've heard other people experience this too, so I think it's relatively common. Is it considered precognition? Or some sort of psychic link between two people? Random "luck"? Or something else?

FWIW - my husband gets deja vu frequently. It creeps him out sometimes. There are times when he feels certain than he has dreamed a situation before. Other times, he isn't sure why he has that feeling.
edit on 19-12-2013 by VegHead because: added hubs stuff

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Antipathy17

Thats silly and makes no sense..

So you wake up and the day is in front ..but you know a certain person will ring..or you know you will see a certain person while shopping

"glimpse of an object or situation, before the brain has completed "constructing"

"Scientific approaches reject the explanation of déjà vu as "precognition" or "prophecy", but rather explain it as an anomaly of memory, which creates a distinct impression that an experience is "being recalled"

How can you "recall" the future ..if you have not exprienced or seen it..

Therefore precognition must exist..

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Great thread. I wish science could change the rules a bit. Until then, science will not be able to prove psi exists because of experimenter effects.

Experimenters have psi too. Their own psi can and does influence the outcome of a parapsychology experiment! Or any experiment, for that matter.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think trying to prove by "science" some of the gifts that some people have is like the "split electron experiment"

Because its all about human experience....and the thing is ...about the human brain/mind we haven't scratched the surface yet!

Science is about measuring, observing and making machines to observe, there will be a theory or machine to measure anything ..and everything has to be observed and calculated..by our observations...

"split electron experiment"

Anyway I think it is normal we all have it ..just so many people won't accept it..

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Who cares? There is nothing called paranormal. All is normal just not quantified by current science. The biggest problem with science now days is that science haven't taken the next step where the observer is added to the things they try to observe.

If you wanna bring science forward you need to add the following. With this observer at this time and this equipment this was observed. With this you can categorize things that normally is thrown away since it is to hard to explain by science at this date.

Many scientists seem to hate this, since it does not fit the materialistic model of the universe that have already been proven untrue since the placebo/nocebo effect exists. And there is no money to be made in explaining these things since it do not further materialistic growth so it is normally a dead end for corporate funding.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Antipathy17

Have you unconscious mind play the 11:11 game a few years and you will know better. Experience is always better than guessing/making theories.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

BlueMule

Great thread. I wish science could change the rules a bit. Until then, science will not be able to prove psi exists because of experimenter effects.

Experimenters have psi too. Their own psi can and does influence the outcome of a parapsychology experiment! Or any experiment, for that matter.

The Psi-missing effect where people who do not believe fail more than the random chance should make them fail. Funny unconscious mind of a nonbeliever using Psi to prove Psi do not exist.

psi-missing Psi-missing is an ad hoc hypothesis invented by parapsychologists to explain away failures to demonstrate ESP. The tests usually involve trying to use ESP to identify various targets, such as Zener cards, pictures, etc. which are hidden from direct view of the subject. The failure to do better than would be expected by chance is explained away as due to unconscious direction to avoid the target. J. B. Rhine even claimed that persons who didn't like him would consciously guess wrong to spite him (Park 2000, 42).

new topics

top topics

join