It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Harris Poll On Religion In America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

A new Harris Poll released today reveals that only 74% of Americans believe in God, an 8% decline since 2009.
Before today, U.S. adults had remained fairly consistent in their religious beliefs — 82% of U.S. respondents previously reported that they believed there was a God since 2005.

In another decline, only 54% of Americans are now "absolutely certain" in God's existence, a 12% decrease over the last decade.

Not all of us feel this way. The groups most likely to be certain of God's existence are Black Americans (70%), Republicans (65%), Baby Boomers (60%), Southerners (61%), and Midwesterners (58%), as well as anyone with a high school education or less (60%).

A few other notable takeaways from the poll:

Almost a quarter of Americans (24%) believe in reincarnation

Only 1% of U.S. adults believe God is a woman, and more women than men are likely to believe that God is male (43% women, 34% men)

23% of Americans say they are "not at all" religious, a figure that has nearly doubled since 2007, when it was 12%

42% of Americans believe in ghosts, only slightly less than the 58% who believe in Hell and the Devil

The poll was conducted this past November, with 2,250 adults responding. The questions were administered by a computer, which the researchers explained led to more "accurate" data:

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

That's a pretty interesting poll overall they are saying it is probably more accurate because it is been administered by a computer and they are more likely to be truthful when asked if they attend church or believe in God the services that are conducted by live interviewers it is believed that people tend to exaggerate online service such as this seemed to be more honest and accurate.

The Harris poll also has some other interesting poll on it seems that independents tend to be less likely to believe in anything supernatural that's overall not in every category. The polls give you a rundown of 2005 to 2013 it's worth clicking on the link taking a look for yourself.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Thanks, Grim!!
I'll check it out.
Did you see the new thread that gives a quiz of religious knowledge?
There's a long version (32 Qs) and a shorter version (15 Qs)...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Nice timing, dude!!
S/F
edit on 12/19/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It's to be expected that as science grows, religion weakens.

I think that as the years progress there will be more atheist and agnostics and less religious people.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Yup I was just reading through your thread. Very good. I will take the test later today but I don’t expect to get a high score. Neither I nor my family has been very religious. My family if anything is comprised of Deists and Agnostic Atheists I sometimes flip-flop between the two. My point is everything I learned about the dogmas have come from casual conversation or these online forums I was never indoctrinated but it will be interesting to see what I score.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

If they even let us make it that far. I think they would do all they could to stop us from taking control of our minds and their religion from falling. They have apocalypses and raptures to fulfill from their books, I believe they may try to fulfill them somehow. War is always brewing in the Middle East.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Something that should be noted is that this poll was answered by only 2,250 people. The results apply only to those 2,250 people, and not an entire country.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

I wonder did that really need to be noted? I think most people understand that polls and studies are done on a portion of the population. In fact if there has been a poll or study done involving the entire population I am not aware of it. Perhaps you know of one I would be interested to see it regardless of the subject.

In fact I think the census is the closest to a complete study of the population however it would only be close it is in no way everyone.
edit on 19-12-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

I presume you've never heard of statistical sampling? Check it out, it explains how surveys actually represent the entire population's view very accurately.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
numbers are dwindling but cant see this as a huge problem for the religion. they still have a hand in state affairs and numbers aren't that low?

bigger problems would be a new train of thought or governments banning them.

religious leaders in the west still hold prominent positions, these religions are followed by achievers and high positioned leaders. it seems the thought is to keep turning up even though its obvious not quite right for sake of peace, safety and whatnot. most leaders get into such a position later in life when they have proven to existing leaders they can tow the line, hold the fort, not rock the boat.

top topics

join