It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brainwashing at a young age

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Eryiedes
reply to post by danielsil18

It is if The Flintstones is your idea of a documentary.

-Peace-

That was a reply to which of my posts?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

rhinoceros

danielsil18

WilsonWilson
I'm assuming these kids are going to grow up, and then make their own decisions.
It's like saying i've brainwashed my kids to belive in Santa Claus, and they're never going to know any better.

There is a logical fallacy in your post.

Parents who tell kids about Santa do so knowing that the kids will stop believing in Santa and the parents will confirm that Santa is not real.

In my post, the parents are teaching the kids propaganda hoping that the kids don't grow out of it.
Do you think those parents are going to tell their kids "it was all a lie, just like Santa Claus"

Actually the opposite, the parents will try to confirm that what they were taught is real.

edit on 19-12-2013 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

Anyway, I'm rather happy I had this as a child. It made the world a less scary place.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why some keep believing.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

It meant: "I agree with the quoted text".

-Peace-
edit on 19-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Addition

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

danielsil18
reply to post by WilsonWilson

It's one thing to teach children the belief in god and religion. It's another thing to tell them not to trust scientists.

But it's alarming that people still believe dinosaurs lived with man and that the planet is 6,000 years old.

The fact that people still believe that makes me think that this form of brainwashing works.

How do you think the people carved stegosaurus figures if they didn't see them? Do you know when the last dinosaurs died out? We find things pretty regularly that were supposedly extinct millions of years ago, and yet Shazam!!!! there it is.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

Funny that you use the Ica Stones (which I think were proven false) as evidence that dinosaurs existed recently but ignore the countless of fossils that were dated to be millions of years old, and don't even mention carbon dating, get educated in the matter and I don't mean reading a religious website to get scientific answers.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
"The Ica stones were a hoax and officially a branch of the tourist industry. It was over… or was it? When dealing with controversies of this sort, nothing is ever simple. Believers in the antiquity of the stones claimed that the farmer admitted to the hoax for a very simple reason: if the stones were genuine, he had been selling government possessions. Peruvian law dictates that archæological discoveries should be turned over to the government and he faced prison if found guilty. By admitting it was a simple hoax, the farmer was let off the hook… and was able to provide his family with an income. When von Däniken visited the farmer in 1973, Uschuya confirmed to him that he had faked the stones; but later on, in an interview with the German journalist Andreas Fischer, Uschuya claimed the opposite. They were genuine, he insisted, and he admitted to a hoax to avoid imprisonment."

Exerpt from the following link:

www.forteantimes.com...

The article only claims it seems likely they were hoaxed but does not say conlusively.

-Peace-

edit on 19-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Addition

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

When we have hundreds of years of scientific evidence from fossils that show dinosaurs lived millions of years ago and some stones, that could have easily been faked and even admitted being faked a few times, that show dinosaurs lived recently. What's the best explanation?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

danielsil18
reply to post by Eryiedes

When we have hundreds of years of scientific evidence from fossils that show dinosaurs lived millions of years ago and some stones, that could have easily been faked and even admitted being faked a few times, that show dinosaurs lived recently. What's the best explanation?

I can't say but I lean towards the "tourist trap" explaination...just like Big Foot, El-Chupacabra and Nessie or Champie...or whatever they call it in your neck of the woods.
I personally view the stones in Loch Ness Monster Territory...so, some day someone's gonna find out it was really an "upside down motorboat" and everyone will move about their business as usual.
If man really did live along side dinosaurs and was SO prolific as creationists claim?
Then why (after all the thousands and thousands of dinosaur, bug, fish, plant or bacteria fossils unearthed) has there never been even a single piece of fossilized human remains recorded in the history of ever that date to the corresponding time period?

-Peace-

edit on 19-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

edit on 19-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Correction

edit on 19-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Gravity is only a theory.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Speaking of Brainwashing at a Young Age , Even DADDY does it Throught the TSA at the Airport Kiddies !

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Part of me doesn't even care about this debate, because I walked away from Christianity many years ago.
Having said that, when I read stories like this and try to fit the information to what I was taught in my youth, I find huge gaps, and incredible stretches of imagination.
In short, what the hell happened to Christianity?
I remember that the teachings about evolution and the origin of the universe. One of the things I remember being taught was that biological evolution as an ongoing process was observable in the natural world. Of course the support for this was that the tendency of genetic information to produce a variety of patterns proved "God's power." In other words, back in the day, a Christian could see that the process of evolution was set in motion by God.
Naturally, when it comes to the scientific theories of the origin of the universe, there was a conflict that could not be reconciled. The Bible says what it says, and science has come up with conflicting info. Did we try to make them fit together? No. We were taught that in matters where there was no clear reconciliation, we were to remain silent on a topic, hold to our faith, and focus our lives on areas where there were clearer connections.
There were no attempts to explain the cohabitation of humans and dinosaurs, or debate time scales, or other such nonsense.

Like I said, I have nothing whatsoever to do with Christianity now, and I'm not likely to in the future. It just seems like the religion today isn't even trying to stand on it's historical principles (misguided or not), but rather trying to twist itself to remain relevant.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jodash

Dogma Vs the Scientific Method ........... And the Winner Is ? ........

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

danielsil18
I found a video that shows kids being taught that dinosaurs coexisted with humans thousands of years ago, kids are being brainwashed to not accept science.

To me this kids are being brainwashed. Basically telling them not to trust science and that dinosaurs were alive a few thousand years ago is absurd.

What do you mean by "science"?
If "science" is something a scientist says is science, then there's no consensus on pretty much anything. You can find a scientist to say anything. Because scientists are humans, they're wrong about all sorts of things all the time. Just the way it works.

If by "science," you mean the scientific method, then I do think we ought to have confidence in it. But not too much. After all, it was designed and implemented by humans.

An aside: as far as all this stuff about dinosaurs goes, it seems to me the scientists in this field are doing something closer to history. I mean, unlike less theoretical types of science, you can't replicate the far past in a testable way, because you are making observations about creatures and conditions that no longer exist. Making observations about the past is typically the realm of history, which uses a great deal of science to make its findings. History is fairly reliable, but not as reliable as hard science (for instance, measurements of gravity) because it cannot observe the conditions that the events took place in.

Just my .02.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Are all of you guys hating on this kidding me right now? I think there's one thing for sure when it comes to creation and evolution - everyone is wrong yet everyone thinks they're right.

Science is flipping ridiculous. On a smaller, tangible scale - I do believe that science is VERY factual, but when it comes to things like the dawn of time... I'm stepping out of the argument because NOTHING will ever answer this during our "physical reality".

The same thing goes for creationism - you sure as hell don't know HOW it happened in the past, but this book tells us that some entity just instantly created everything. And also this thousands of years quote is kind of ridiculous, mainly because people calculate this number based off of generations... which the ones depicted in the Bible lasted MANY HUNDREDS of years.. who knows if more. Numbers AND words are all goofed up in the bible compared to nowadays.

The argument between creationism and evolution as for when everything was created is a losing battle - both sides have really NO evidence, and both sides will not come together to realize we need every gun in our brain arsenal to solve the question.

What's the difference if our children are 'indoctrinated' to believe that the world created itself versus a creator creating it? How does either side make the truth instead of reality? Either situation can exist yet both sides believe they are the ones who are right.

WHO KNOWS how everything got started - but don't go making enemies over it, that's RIDICULOUS seeing on what everyones' claims are based off of!!!!!!!

I am offended by one thing in the video - that the people are telling their kids that evolution doesn't exist somehow because they "don't believe" in it. That's absurd - the development of species within their lineage is very obvious. I pray to God and also acknowledge that Science is one of the most amazing gifts we can use to produce answers. What's so difficult about realizing that our language was flawed in the past, and now we have the tools to put the pieces to the puzzle together with one another? If anything, Science proves how damn complex the observable universe is and might even LEAN towards a creator, which could even be a simulation - who knows.

I do admire people sticking to their guns, but be open hearted/minded to someone with an opposite viewpoint, because you just might learn a thing or two.

end rant

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Why would you teach your children that everything in this world is a giant cosmic accident with no purpose and no destination ? That everything that keeps us alive on this planet every day is all accident and coincidence every day ? Evolution can no more be proven than creationism can. Difference is one theory requires belief in something bigger than your arrogant self.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Myollinir

The same thing goes for creationism - you sure as hell don't know HOW it happened in the past, but this book tells us that some entity just instantly created everything.

Actually, the bible doesn't say that, just ignorant Christians repeat what they've been taught by biblically illiterate preachers and teachers.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Just another MEME more dangerous than radiation, military weapons, and threats on the internet.

Question is.....What kind of Jew are you?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Myollinir
I am offended by one thing in the video - that the people are telling their kids that evolution doesn't exist somehow because they "don't believe" in it.

It's just as easy to be offended that people are telling their kids that God doesn't exist somehow because they "don't believe" in Him.

I generally avoid this type of thread these days due to the fact that (especially here on ATS) it almost always turns into a bash-fest against anyone who holds beliefs that don't place scientists on a pedestal.

Anti-creationists make all kinds of claims about how the Bible is a fairy tale because it was written by man, and yet at the same time, believe lock, stock, and barrel that science is nothing other than strict fact, when it too, was researched and recorded by who? oh yeah, man.

The whole argument is absolute silliness to begin with.

Humanity has the innate capacity for critical thinking, no amount of BS from either side is going to change that fact.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

ProfessorChaos
Anti-creationists make all kinds of claims about how the Bible is a fairy tale because it was written by man, and yet at the same time, believe lock, stock, and barrel that science is nothing other than strict fact, when it too, was researched and recorded by who? oh yeah, man.

Anti-Westerosi make all kinds of claims about how the Game of Thrones is a fairy tale because it was written by man, and yet at the same time, believe lock, stock, and barrel that the Bible is nothing other than strict fact, when it too, was researched and recorded by who? oh yeah, man.

The difference is of course that science is testable and does things like reverses a known cause of aging. Please report back when the Bible can be tested and provides actual real world benefits to all mankind.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Funny how times have changed. I am so confused now! I remember being taught that we did come from apes and that dinosaurs existed millions of years ago. Does this mean that I need to go back to school and start all over? I personally think that what is being taught to the kids now days is wrong because I sure love bananas so to me that is proof that we, or at least I came from apes.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join