It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brainwashing at a young age

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by WilsonWilson

Not everyone is a critical thinker. Remember half the world is below the average IQ level. So if one of these people grows up being told things like this, they will continue to believe it in adulthood no matter what evidence is thrown in their face to the contrary. If they have access to the internet, there are plenty of sites that will acquiesce to their beliefs, like this one: Answers in Genesis

yes but you cant protect children from their parents beliefs unless you remove them from the family unit.
to be honest if an adult wants to belive the bible then let them, it's their choice.
My father is a very intelligent man, he's not stupid because he believes in God.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Oh it's true, you are more than welcome to teach your child any belief you deem fit. It is your child after all. I would never advocate taking a child away from their parent because they decided to teach their child a bunch of nonsense. I can however disprove of what they are teaching. Personally, I think the best way to teach a child is to introduce him or her to a variety of topics, say a bunch of different religions including atheism, what each one believes, and let them decide which is the most logical choice. I wish my parents had done this with me, but I do not blame them for raising me Catholic, I'm just glad that I had the critical thinking skills (as well I should probably thank the Catholic church for all their scandals and helping me to lose my faith there) to see through the duplicity.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

Oh it's true, you are more than welcome to teach your child any belief you deem fit. It is your child after all. I would never advocate taking a child away from their parent because they decided to teach their child a bunch of nonsense. I can however disprove of what they are teaching. Personally, I think the best way to teach a child is to introduce him or her to a variety of topics, say a bunch of different religions including atheism, what each one believes, and let them decide which is the most logical choice. I wish my parents had done this with me, but I do not blame them for raising me Catholic, I'm just glad that I had the critical thinking skills (as well I should probably thank the Catholic church for all their scandals and helping me to lose my faith there) to see through the duplicity.

i guess i'm half way, i belive that humans have a spiritual existance, but the bible as an exact truth, does just not work for me. However i'm glad of my upbringing, it's not the path i chose but it did me no harm.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

It's one thing to teach children the belief in god and religion. It's another thing to tell them not to trust scientists.

But it's alarming that people still believe dinosaurs lived with man and that the planet is 6,000 years old.

The fact that people still believe that makes me think that this form of brainwashing works.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

danielsil18

It's one thing to teach children the belief in god and religion. It's another thing to tell them not to trust scientists.

But it's alarming that people still believe dinosaurs lived with man and that the planet is 6,000 years old.

The fact that people still believe that makes me think that this form of brainwashing works.

I'm not sure i do trust scientits! lol
It's not brainwashing to have faith and belive in something.
Thats like saying people who belive in UFO visting earth are brainwashed, they're not they just belive something there is no proof of.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

rickymouse
Either dinosaurs existed with humans a few thousand years ago or the structures with dinosaurs carved of stone on them are a lot older than they are supposed to be.

There is not either. Dinosaurs did not coexist with humans a few thousand years ago.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

I agree that children should be educated about everything and they should make their own choice.

But here we have them telling the children "trust god, don't trust a scientist"

To me that's wrong.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

It certainly is holding us back as a species. I always find it funny how people such as the ones you describe take things like gravity, electricity, computers, the earth being round, explosives, and just about any other modern amenity as a matter of fact despite them all having been discovered and theorized about by scientists, but things like evolution, big bang, abiogenesis, and others are just not possible. I've always wondered how you can pick and choose which theories are acceptable to believe and which aren't. You either accept that a theory is a scientific truth or you throw any scientific finding with the word theory out as untrue. But to do that would be to deny things that are obvious like gravity and electricity. It is a HUGE contradiction.
edit on 19-12-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

WilsonWilson

danielsil18

I'm not sure i do trust scientits! lol
It's not brainwashing to have faith and belive in something.
Thats like saying people who belive in UFO visting earth are brainwashed, they're not they just belive something there is no proof of.

But the kids are being told what to believe and what not to believe.

Instead of teaching them a belief and letting them decide at the end if they want to keep that belief.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

You are right that it's a huge contradiction.

It's funny that they talk bad about evolution and scientists but when they get sick they go to the doctor and get medicine created by scientists who studied biology, chemistry, etc.

They seek help from science instead of god. If science is wrong and god is all powerful, then why don't they pray to get cured instead of depending of medicine created by the same scientists they preach not to believe.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Should we then brainwash them to accept science?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I have two children, ages 13 and 10, with my ex-husband. Their father and I divorced when my 10 year old was only 2. I am an atheist, their father is a Christian. When they have their weekends with him, they go to church. I have never tried to sway their belief one way or another, although their dad does that enough for the both of us.

I rarely talk to them about my non-belief unless the conversation is brought up by them because their father has basically forbid it and he tells me I'm going to hell, of course. So to keep the peace with him, I allow my children to be subjected to that brainwashing, although it is probably one of the hardest things I do as a mother and an atheist.

But the way I see it, they know that they can come to me with any questions they have about the bible or religion. Right now they rarely do because they also don't want to upset their dad. But I know it's only a matter of time before they will. When the time comes, I'm glad I will be able to show them the other side of religion, or lack thereof.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

What do you think science is? There's nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. Which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?

Teaching them the scientific method alongside critical thinking skills would do just fine, although this would have detrimental effects for their willingness to take religious myths and creationist falsehoods at face value so I can see why some fundamentalists would object to this.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Aphorism
Should we then brainwash them to accept science?

That's the same as asking if we Should brainwash them to accept gravity.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

So is that a yes?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

danielsil18

HUMBLEONE
Apparently YOU don't believe in the big, scary, invisible man in the sky or his son the Jewish Zombie?

And apparently I do it because I don't want to face the consequences for my actions.
. But you can never escape the consequences of your actions.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

danielsil18

WilsonWilson
I'm assuming these kids are going to grow up, and then make their own decisions.
It's like saying i've brainwashed my kids to belive in Santa Claus, and they're never going to know any better.

There is a logical fallacy in your post.

Parents who tell kids about Santa do so knowing that the kids will stop believing in Santa and the parents will confirm that Santa is not real.

In my post, the parents are teaching the kids propaganda hoping that the kids don't grow out of it.
Do you think those parents are going to tell their kids "it was all a lie, just like Santa Claus"

Actually the opposite, the parents will try to confirm that what they were taught is real.

edit on 19-12-2013 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

There's also the part where parents don't teach kids that not believing into Santa will lead to eternal suffering and other scary stuff.

Neither of my parents are particularly religious, but the nearest day care to our home was run by a church so I ended up there as a child. I suppose, that's where I picked my belief in God. I remember that I prayed almost every night and felt quite nice about there being some big guy watching over me. Naturally, I also believed in Santa Claus. I stopped believing in the personal God concept around the same time I stopped believing in Santa Claus. I don't really know what exactly led to this, I guess I just started seeing the whole concept as something man made and rather ridiculous. Anyway, I'm rather happy I had this as a child. It made the world a less scary place. I'm certainly not going to teach my children that some particular entity definitely is or isn't. It's a sort of milestone in life when you come to this decision by yourself

edit on 19-12-2013 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Before I enrolled my children in the local Catholic school, I couldn't believe the kinds of things that would come out of their mouths when they came home from our local public school. Secular agents are just as busy brainwashing children as religious agents are.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Aphorism

So is that a yes?

Teaching kids science is not brainwashing.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

"Teaching kids science is not brainwashing."

It is if The Flintstones is your idea of a documentary.

-Peace-

edit on 19-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Fixed

edit on 19-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join