It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lottery winner gives entire $40 million jackpot to charity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Just saw this this morning and I am impressed. A guy named Tom Crist in Canada won a $40 million jackpot and has elected to put the entire winnings in a trust to pay out to charities. Also, his children are perfectly fine with this! Granted he is a retired president and CEO of an electrical products company, so he doesn't really need the money anyway. But how many millionaires/billionaires would actually do this? Most of them are far too stingy and greedy.

Here is a link to the article: Link

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jburg6

Nice story - he is donating it in his wife's memory. Many wealthy people are very generous with their wealth - I don't think he is an anomaly.

The article isn't explicit in what his financial situation is - but I am always curious as to why someone who is already financially wealthy would play the lottery.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jburg6

A conscience?

If he's an ex-CEO, then he probably knows how much this planet has already been srewed and still getting screwed, by those who already have the most.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Good for him. Good for everyone.
What a wonderful gesture.
Now if every filthy rich person on the planet would simply allow a good portion of the money they've been hoarding to be released back by way of gifts or investing in new businesses to create jobs the world would be a better place.
I won't be holding my breath over it though.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It's too bad he sent the money to Cancer charities, who's research generally only goes towards chemotherapy rather than actual cancer cures(of which there are many). IMO most of the money was wasted, he may as well have bought a jet. Still, quite an admirable deed.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jburg6

Wonder why he bought a ticket.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

jburg6
Granted he is a retired president and CEO of an electrical products company, so he doesn't really need the money anyway. But how many millionaires/billionaires would actually do this? Most of them are far too stingy and greedy.

That is a very important part of the equation.

If he did the same thing and he worked a 9-5 job barely making ends meat then he would deserve all the credit in the world.

If his net worth is 500 million right now from his previous job as a president and CEO of a company then he it's a bit different.

In the end, charities got money so that is the good thing.

new topics

top topics

join