It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you would like to see Bush as permanent "president"? serious answers please

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
No, there needs to be limits. FDR was a case in point. 2 terms and out seems plenty to me regardless of how good he was or is.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I you want to fear a prez fear the "terminator". Arnold may get his amendment. Or let me ask....would you let Billyboy be there again?

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
While I support Bush for many reasons I don�t think there is any need for a permanent president or even a 3-term president. I�m really hoping that the DNC can pull itself together, start adopting some sensible positions, and really challenge the RNC in a serious manner.

I�m thinking that we should probably elect a conservative DNC candidate to president next term. For variety, if nothing else. Sadly, if the rumored Billary ticket is going to make a run then it�s going to be another bad election for the DNC.

It�s not healthy to have just one majority party but wow�I mean�wow� the DNC has gone so left-wing that they have come just shy from exiting the American political scene as serious players.

But to answer the question: No support for a permanent president. No dictators and no changes to the constitution.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

Seriously, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have voted for him the first time. Personality... sheesh!

AMEN to that!

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I put this out there because so many of you have this "god-like" image of Bush.

And this whole topic fits into this (below) how?

Discuss political conspiracies, cover-ups, and deceptions of political figures and parties.

As for this:

There's a rumor (not verified) saying that Bush & Co. are looking into the idea of extending the presidency longer. This is scary stuff (if true) and i wonder if it comes to pass how many out there would back this up. IF there is any backing up to be done by the US citizens.

I know that you and others have made allegations of Mr. Bush and his administration's use of "fear-mongering" and acute uses of "terror." as such, are you not doing likewise by stating or merely mentioning 'a' "rumor," and accurately stated by you, its not verified? Whats really "scary stuff" is the continued hypocritical tactics that you and others profess that Mr. Bush, his administration, and his backers are utilizing, for which you scream 'foul' upon, then turn around and utilize the very same methods. How ironic...

seekerof

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Arnold? Now there's a scary thought too...

Perfect example of things to come. The constitution is being changed and molded to suit what was never allowed before, this is why this thread is not far-fetched at all.

A muscle head.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I do expect GW to declare marshal law after the next big terror attack. So another election is kinda mute. He may be defacto prezzzzzzz for life.

I agree...guess we'll see eventually too....

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Seeker of.....debunk debunk debunk....
I asked a question and its being answered.
Its a valid one at that.
Thanks for your 5 cents.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
No. Definitely not. Because we'll need a fresh start more than ever after this next four years. Hopefully someone with more humanitarian ideas towards leading the U.S. and I hope he's someone that most of us can actually like. That would be nice.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Elaine, you're right. I would even settle for a conservative Democrat or a Republican with a head on his shoulders with a desire to build this country up again to what it once was.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
President for life?...is not going to happen and i don't think any American would want this, I know I don't. Our system is set up so that a president can remain in office two terms, and that's it....

Our system is also set up to guarantee free speech, freedom of religion, speedy trials, etc. It's also set up so a foreign-born person cannot be president. This country has also agreed to abide by a set of war rules that it helped draft and enforce, called the Geneva Conventions

If you look at the Patriot Act, you can see that as it is enforced against Americans, most of what we think are rights will be revoked or severely curtailed. Already, our right of Freedom of Assembly is being eroded by free speech zones and intimidation & arrest of protesters legally exercising their first amendment rights.

Under the guise of "wartime necessity", a lot of the checks & balances that keep this country mostly democratic are being dispensed with. Though on the surface of it, I wouldn't think the public would go for an unlimited presidency, but then again, I would have never imagined Americans submitting to the Patriot Act, uninvestigated vote fraud, Arnie for Presinator, and an invasion agenda involving mass murder of civilians.

All the rewrites, restrictions, amendments and acts could be seen as steps to help keep Americans "safe" durign turbulent times. But taken in light of government decisions and policies that don't seem to be in the best interests of the average person (rampant national debt, outsourcing jobs, relaxing pollution controls, permitting near-monopolies of media outlets), these steps could also be seen as manipulating our own laws, public opinion, military, "elected" officials to allow Bush & Co. to freely rule Amerika as they see fit.

--Saerlaith

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I'd like to know how many of you think this president is so great you would like him to remain....err....president...AND WHY.

While you're at it, i'd like to know if you think this would be a dictatorship or just a great president wanting to finish the job he started.
thanks

A permanent presidency or president-for-life would be completely unnacceptable. Perhaps removing term limits on the preseidency might be interesting, but I think things are good the way they are.

I president for life wouldn't necessarily be a dictator (pretending of course that the constitution were altered to say one election for a lifetime term). They'd still have the limitations that were put on the executive by the founders, excepting of course the requirement to be re-elected every 4 years.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Hey after Mr. Bush finish with our country in the next 4 years, I think he will stay as permanet president.

I don't think any other politician will want to take over the mess that our country is now or will be in 4 years.

I think that nobody is going to run against him.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
Nope. I voted for President Bush twice, but that is a far cry from wanting to have anyone in that office permanently, or even for more than eight years. Term limits are good and we should have them for Congress as well.

amen to that. thatll shake things up a bit.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
i don't think any real american would want to see any one man be president for too long.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The day any officeholder becomes "permanent" is the day representative democracy dies.

There is no place for any sort of "permanent" official in my America.

In my opinion, that includes Supreme Court justices, but opinions vary. I would prefer to see them appointed for a maximum of ten years.

Then there's the whole fief system in the federal civil service, which I would also like to see abolished by statute.

But a permanent president? No way.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Good. So far everyone agrees no matter which side they're on. I was beginning to think some might think of it as a good idea.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I put this out there because so many of you have this "god-like" image of Bush.
I agree...no one should be allowed any longer than the term.

There's a rumor (not verified) saying that Bush & Co. are looking into the idea of extending the presidency longer. This is scary stuff (if true) and i wonder if it comes to pass how many out there would back this up. IF there is any backing up to be done by the US citizens.

There was also a rumor that Bill Clinton was looking into amending the constitution to abolish limits on terms for the President.

Whenever you have a popular President there will always be that talk.

But like the electoral college, two terms for a President will not go away.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Does it really matter who is in charge? They are just props.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I think maybe the Democrats could come up with a better candidate to run next time. This really should have been their 4 years but all they could find was a vietnam vet who was against Vietnam and had married well. However i think the next election will be won by the republicans with a Guiliani/ Powell bill. Unless the Democrats can find one visible or credible candidate... Hillary couldn't win if she was given a 49 State headstart.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join