It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pew Statistics: How USA Believers see their "Holy Books"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
BenReclusedo ''Why should that matter to you? Are you trying to prove that, only, your religious views are valid. It, sure as Hell, seems that way.

You remind me of an old dog food commercial:
My dog's better than your dog, my dog's better than yours.'' _________________________________________Thats not what I have been saying at all so clearly you are having a hard time even comprehending whats being said. Also your barking in the background doesn't add anything to the thread either,

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   

DeadSeraph
I don't think that is what he's trying to do at all.

No .. as usual it IS what he's trying to do. And he fails each and every time.

The Opening Post shows very clearly that 50% of Christians read the entire bible literally, and the rest read each book as it was written ... literal, folklore, myth, allegory, historical. Each book has it's own flavor.

The Opening Post shows very clearly that 50% of Muslims read the entire Qu'ran literally, and the rest not. That's the SAME STATISTIC as Christians.

It is absurd for a Muslim to go around screaming that Christians need to read the bible literally, even when parts are not intended to be read literally. And considering that 1/2 of all Muslims don't even read their Qu'ran as literal, that compounds the silliness of the demand.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Thats not what I have been saying at all so clearly you are having a hard time even comprehending whats being said.

You should be more concerned with your own comprehension. I didn't say that you said anything. I only asked you two questions, and told you how it seemed. Perhaps my punctuation mistake threw you off, so I will try again...

In regard to:

Given the content of the Op, how far do you apply ''faith'' when it comes to the Old Testament? How much of it do you dismiss as myth?

Why should that matter to you? Are you trying to prove that, only your religious views are valid?

Also your barking in the background doesn't add anything to the thread either

Why do you feel your "barking" is any better than mine?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Like i mentioned in the brackets, this survey was done in the US, and what is the major religion there?

Even the survey stat shows the people who took survey are Christians due to high percentage believe bible is the word of god.

So i didn't pick Christianity, it was the major contributor to the poll.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Word of God,

Both literally and allegorically true, depending on the passage,

the Catholic Church is a good discerner of which passages are Literal/Allegorical,

not the Roman Catholic either,

I mean the True Catholic Church,

Orthodox Catholic.

God bless

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Like i mentioned in the brackets, this survey was done in the US, and what is the major religion there?

Even the survey stat shows the people who took survey are Christians due to high percentage believe bible is the word of god.

So i didn't pick Christianity, it was the major contributor to the poll.

Nonsense! Let's look at your comment again:

lol its funny how most(Christians obviously since its US) think the religion that came before Abrahamic trios are "written by man" yet they think their religion is word of god.

If your "lol it's funny" wasn't directed at Christians, there would have been no need to include, "(Christians obviously since its US)", in that comment. It would have, simply, read:
lol its funny how most think the religion that came before Abrahamic trios are "written by man" yet they think their religion is word of god.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

But the majority that think this are the Christians according to the poll! If the % for the Muslims was almost the same i would have replaced it Islam instead.

It is directed at Christians because the majority poll takers are Christians.

i just added the word "most" because the poll does not reflect 100% of the christian with that view, otherwise i would have used "All" christians.

edit on 12/20/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by godlover25

the Catholic Church is a good discerner of which passages are Literal/Allegorical,

not the Roman Catholic either,

I mean the True Catholic Church,

Orthodox Catholic.

A minor correction here, something that I didn't even know until recently.

There is no such thing as the "Roman Catholic Church" -- that is a label applied to the Catholic Church by its detractors, and is generally limited to English speakers. The official name of the church that Pope Francis leads is, and has always been, the "Catholic Church".

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Okay, Skorpy, I see that you dodged my question, so I'll ask it again, directly. Dodge it again, and this discussion is over.

Are you claiming that God is not omnipotent and is incapable of making a virgin pregnant or bringing someone back from the dead?

Because it seems like saying that logical impossibilities cannot exist is one thing, but saying that God can't do something that even we, in this day and age, can accomplish, is blasphemy. And, by extension, claiming that if I believe in God's omnipotence, I have to accept that logical impossibilities occurred, just because they are described in the Bible, is just as invalid.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
@adjensen...''Are you claiming that God is not omnipotent and is incapable of making a virgin pregnant or bringing someone back from the dead?
/'' _________________________________________ In case, you were unaware, islam teaches that God is omnipotent. Muslims believe Jesus was literally born of a virgin and that God will literally resurrect everybody who has died. I also don't recall ever questioning the virgin birth. As for the Islamic account of Jesus, one interpretation is that God took his soul from the cross and returned it to Jesus while his body lay in the tomb, and then raised him up. This not only nullifies the crucifixion, but it is also identical to the account in the gospel as well. Hence the Koran says ''they boast that they crucified Jesus, but it only appeared to them that way''.
edit on 21-12-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

But the majority that think this are the Christians according to the poll! If the % for the Muslims was almost the same i would have replaced it Islam instead.

You got it wrong, then:
86 percent of US Muslims believe their religion is based on the word of God. Only 72 percent of Christians, feel the same about their religion.

I strongly suspect that you only saw, what you wanted to see.

See ya,
Milt
edit on 808America/Chicago12RAmerica/Chicago2013-12-21T12:24:18-06:00Saturdayu18America/Chicago by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
@flyersfan''...screaming that Christians need to read the bible literally,'' _________________________________________ Unfortunately for you, Christians believe in a literal Adam, Eve, Noah, Abraham etc. Christians may not take Jesus' command to rip out a sinning eye literally, but the fact remains that every serious Christian believes in a literal Adam, Noah etc and believes the OT to be important to their beliefs. I have already posted you the links proving this. Did you go through them?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

the fact remains that every serious Christian believes in a literal Adam, Noah etc

No, sk0rp, they don't.

It isn't a "fact". It may be a fact for Pentecostal Charismatic Fundamentalist Evangelical Seven Mountain Dominionists and Jesus Camp Directors; BUT IT IS NOT A FACT FOR "EVERY SERIOUS CHRISTIAN."

It just isn't.

It isn't.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

adj, do YOU take the stories about Adam and Eve and Noah, etc. literally as true documentation?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Hence the Koran says ''they boast that they crucified Jesus, but it only appeared to them that way''.

You do realize that that belief did not originate with Islam, right? It's a heresy from the earliest days of the church, called Docetism, promoted by the Christian Gnostics.

Heresy then, heresy now.

Regardless, I don't see how any of that has to do with my recognition that logical impossibilities, such as seeing all the kingdoms of Earth from a mountain, represent non-literal passages in the text of the Bible.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

BenReclused

You got it wrong, then:
86 percent of US Muslims believe their religion is based on the word of God. Only 72 percent of Christians, feel the same about their religion.

See ya,
Milt

According to the number, that's still a lot more Christians than Muslims. Somewhere around 19,000 against 1,700? I mean, take away all the people who don't believe in their sacred text word for word in the US and what you have left is mostly Christians.

If, of course, we're going by the math. And I'm working with the same numbers you are. It's also worth mentioning that Muslims are included in the statement Lucid made, since Islam is one of the children of the Abrahamic faith. So in the end, you're technically right. It would have been both Christians and Muslims, given they come from the same source and share the same arrogance regarding religious history.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

adj, do YOU take the stories about Adam and Eve and Noah, etc. literally as true documentation?

No, of course not.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
There you have it, SK0RP!!!! FF and Adjensen - both serious Christians; both say you are full of beans.

(Thanks, dale. Hug to Oscar. Stay warm!!)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
@adjensen. You mean you don't believe that Adam and Eve and Noah existed as real people? Thats strange because the Catholic church seems to say otherwise.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Biblical Literalism Wiki

Fundamentalists and evangelicals sometimes refer to themselves as "literalists" or Biblical literalists.

Sociologists also use the term in reference to conservative Christian beliefs which include not just literalism but also inerrancy.

Often the term Biblical literalism is used as a pejorative to describe or ridicule the interpretative approaches of fundamentalist or evangelical Christians.[7][8][9]

A 2011 Gallup survey reports,
Pay attention now, sk0rp:

"Three in 10 Americans interpret the Bible literally, saying it is the actual word of God.

That is similar to what Gallup has measured over the last two decades, but down from the 1970s and 1980s.

A 49% plurality of Americans say the Bible is the inspired word of God but that it should not be taken literally, consistently the most common view in Gallup's nearly 40-year history of this question. Another 17% consider the Bible an ancient book of stories recorded by man."

edit on 12/21/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join