It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McLaren aims to eliminate windshield wipers from cars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I read this article this morning and thought it was worth a share!

Source

Ultrasonic device could keep rain and dirt off windshield...

"I was told that it's not a coating on the surface but a high frequency electronic system that never fails and is constantly active," he said. "Nothing will attach to the windscreen."

... there has been widespread media speculation that the system would generate high-frequency sound waves or ultrasound, similar to those produced by devices that dentists used to remove tartar from people's teeth, or that are used to clean objects ranging from medical devices to jewelry.

Wow, even though this technology will likely take years to reach assembly lines, this is quite the advancement (for cars at least as this is already in use in military vehicules).

Especially for those of us that reside in cold/snowy areas (Quebec, Canada for me), this could be quite convenient as we all know how the prices for wipers are getting high and we must change them many times a year.

One thing I am wondering though, WHAT IF there is a glitch and it stops working during a storm!!! You'd be in a world of hurt....I am sure the scientists working on this have also thought about this possibility, but still.

Now where will the cops leave our parking tickets ?! lol

Happy Holidays everyone!

edit on 19-12-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Star Trek sonic shower coming soon.

Can't imagine it'd be as refreshing and nice as a hot shower though.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Is this safe? Will it effect the driver or people around the car negatively, both mentally or physically? Oh that's right, no testing on that is required in this world, if you get sick it is your own fault.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
The more forward technology goes, the more backwards I have a tendency to want to go. " Look what fabulous things we can do to make your life easier!" Side effects to your health be damned.
I'd be one of the first to say Canuck winters are harsh, but as far as improvements to my vehicle, losing the windshield wipers in place of some new fangled technology would be last on my list.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Good point my friend! I hadn't thought of that! Indeed there could be a possible/probable health issue related to this technology!

thanks for posting

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I have to agree with you as well. Even if I find this idea pretty cool, I do prefer being "in control" . If I change my wiper blades myself, I KNOW that they will be good for a few months (I actually just changed them yesterday....lol).

THIS however, even if they say it never stops working, is unpredictable.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
No thank you! At one time I had one of those High Frequency Pest control things. It produces "High Pitch Noise that only animals can hear". Yeah, right. I could hear it, and it gave me headaches. What promises can they make that this device would not do the same?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

rickymouse
Is this safe? Will it effect the driver or people around the car negatively, both mentally or physically? Oh that's right, no testing on that is required in this world, if you get sick it is your own fault.

in OP

Wow, even though this technology will likely take years to reach assembly lines, this is quite the advancement (for cars at least as this is already in use in military vehicules).

Not sure how long the military has been using it, but it does seem like there is testing/actual use.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Hey, kids can hear the pest control things, it keeps them away from houses. Maybe this will keep kids from playing on the street during thunder storms. Maybe it will make kids despise driving, that could save bundles on parents car insurance.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

If it does work and they implement it..

...wonder how much the road rage incidents will increase.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I once designed a really cool aftermarket wiper blade that actually scrubbed bugs of car windows. Thinking I had something I did a pretty complete patent search. Voila! nothing like it. Sadly after some serious market research I realized it would never sell. Why? There are really only two companies that produce ALL the rubber blades. Those companies have powerful lobbyists and they own the bulk of the shelf space in the auto parts stores.

The Car builders are all tooled up for blades. It will take more than a good invention (and many years) for what we currently use to change. To much money in rubber blades for them to go down quietly.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

If the makers of RainX* could perfect their Formula to Work more efficently at lower speeds , say Zero to 25 MPH , then there would be no need for this obvious Expensive Technology .

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Is it going to raise the cost of a windshield?
We go through at least one every year or two in the prairies - too many rocks on the road from the sanding trucks in the winter. And that's not replacing the windshield as soon as there's a crack or hole. It's replacing the windshield when it gets too bad to see or a warning from a cop.

How will the new, high tech windshields hold up with a hole or a crack for long term? This new tech sounds like the windshield will fall apart with holes or cracks....

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Considering McLaren built the first supercar to cost over $1,000,000, I'm pretty sure you won't see this attached to any Yugo's rolling around town anytime soon.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Zanti Misfit
If the makers of RainX* could perfect their Formula to Work more efficently at lower speeds , say Zero to 25 MPH , then there would be no need for this obvious Expensive Technology .
You beat me to it but I'll agree that you don't need wipers above 25mph if you recently applied RainX. I didn't find it all that hard to see even below 25mph but it was definitely better visibility above 25mph. I think the performance also depends on things like the angle of the windshield, airflow around the car, etc.

It had the added benefit that the windshield didn't seem to get dirty as fast.

If this new technology appears in cars it won't be the first time I've driven without windshield wipers...I've driven long highway stretches without them using RainX and could actually see better than with wipers.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Thank you all for the replies. Some very good points were put out.

Like "Mamatus", it makes perfect sence to question the safety of the winshields when it is cracked, would it shatter in your face? What about in the event of a collision?

And "snowspirit", The cost of windshields...I cannot say this with any certainty but I do beleive that the prices will be much higher, however, I dont know if it will be the windshield itself that will "resonate" or another device attached to it? in the latter case, is should not imo.

And finally "Zanti Misfit", RainX.....I hate this product I hade it on once on my previous car, although I must agree that at higher speeds, rain does run off the glass very well, but after about a week that it was on, it was dangerous driving at night because anytime a car would pass you (opposite direction) I was blinded by a glare like the windshield was a whitish color....could have been simple badluck but that was the first and last time I trusted RainX.

And McLaren will like apply this tech on their super/race cars first and perhaps in many years, maybe, we will see this tech as an option when you buy a vehicule(likely very costly though).

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

what effect would this have on dogs , birds etch who hear in higher range?

top topics

join