It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reading the Bible with a Spirtual eye

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Woodcarver

Only god can ordain a war? You have just won the prize. And how does one know when god has ordained a war? Is it the voices in his head? Dont you see how dangerous these thoughts are? Do you? Because it sounds like some crazy bs to me.

How do you differentiate the crazy voices from the divine ones? Do you only listen to the voices that say they are from god? This is dangerous on so many levels. You believe the bible is true because it says it is the words of god? So why not the voices? There are lots of crazies around and then you have people like you who follow the crazies around believing they're talking to god.
edit on 22-12-2013 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

sk0rpi0n
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb

Paul is consistent with Jesus words as far as I am aware of. Jesus's words are Gods words, so saying Jesus or God was a bit redundant. Are you saying Jesus didn't preach about forgiveness of sin
Paul was not always consistent with the words of Jesus. In fact, he contradicted Jesus in many ways. A discussion on how and why calls for an entirely new thread. But much has been written about this, so I can only leave you with these links from these presumably Christian sources...

Paul's Contradictions of Jesus (jesuswordsonly.com)

PAUL vs. JESUS - A List of Contradictory and Incompatible Statements (voiceofjesus.org)

Are Paul's Writings Faultless? (jesusfamilies.org)

All I mean is that people should truly attempt to connect with God before and as they're reading it, and see if He reveals anything to them personally. At what point have I distorted words, or read my own meanings into things?

An atheist or mocker reads the Bible to look for things to mock. A christian intends to connect with God, but most often reads to arrive at a pre-decided conclusion on a number of theological issues.

What I meant is that if you were to apply objectivity, take the words at face-value and refrain from reading meanings into verses, you would be closer to the meaning. This is my approach towards the Bible.

To illustrate, God stating "he follows my decrees and faithfully keeps my laws.That man is righteous. literally means that those who faithfully keep the laws are righteous. Yet, Christians negelect Gods direct words and mish-mash unrelated verses from Paul and all over the Bible to come up with something completely contradicting the statement from God. They may call it reading with a "spiritual eye", but it still amounts to:
a) Distorting the meaning of the words
b) Letting Pauls words take precedence over the direct words of God.

Of course, this happens when people take an if-its-in-the-Bible-it-must-be-true approach towards studying the Bible.

I don't have the time to explain Paul's supposed contradictions, however it is your choice to ignore important part of the text.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Woodcarver

Only god can ordain a war? You have just won the prize. And how does one know when god has ordained a war? Is it the voices in his head? Dont you see how dangerous these thoughts are? Do you? Because it sounds like some crazy bs to me.

How do you differentiate the crazy voices from the divine ones? Do you only listen to the voices that say they are from god? This is dangerous on so many levels. You believe the bible is true because it says it is the words of god? So why not the voices? There are lots of crazies around and then you have people like you who follow the crazies around believing they're talking to god.

The wars God ordained have already been written friend, and their are very few left before the end times.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Woodcarver

Skorpion. I stated that you are quote mining from the bible.

You are still quote mining.

You disagreed that god ordered moses to kill and then you post the direct quote when god orders him to kill. It doesnt matter why god wants him to kill. He is ordering murder. Your literal translations of the bible are some of the most dangerous thoughts i have ever seen. I can tell that you dont understand at all what you are saying. But lose the ego. You really do think your thoughts are the best way to serve society?

Slavery hasnt changed one bit in the last 5000 years. Instead of jesus telling folks how to properly treat your slaves, he should have said "slavery is wrong and dont do it." Do you think it is ok to have slaves, as long as you treat them the way jesus intended? Or do you think jesus was wrong to endorse slavery? Wtf?

Do you believe that people can consult with the dead?

Do you believe in witches?

Do you believe in talking donkeys?

Do you believe that thousands of dead people rose from their graves?

Or any of the hundreds of things depicted in the stories that we know are physically impossible. They didnt realise back then that these things were not possible so they attributed natural occurances to divine power, and also just made up some stuff to boot.

You believe the bible is irrefutable fact and then you dont pay any attention to when the facts dont match what we know to be true.

Not sure if this was to me or Skorpion, but I do want to address one part of this statement.

"Slavery hasnt changed one bit in the last 5000 years. Instead of jesus telling folks how to properly treat your slaves, he should have said "slavery is wrong and dont do it." Do you think it is ok to have slaves, as long as you treat them the way jesus intended? Or do you think jesus was wrong to endorse slavery? Wtf?"

Slavery back then was not slavery as you think of it. Slavery was a way of paying off debt, and people would willingly sell themselves into slavery, since people did this by their own free will God put limitations on it.

The Slavery in the 1600-1800's has no biblical basis.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I personally dont see any difference between forced slavery, and tricking someone into endentured service, and then tricking them again into lifelong servitude. Do you think one is better than the other?

There is a reason why both are illegal in civilised society. I have heard folks try and rationalise this topic before, but it never goes well for them. You can not excuse jesus for saying its ok to beat someone as long as they dont die in the next few days. He also advises slaves to serve even the abusive masters.

There is no excuse for jesus to give this advice. We know better now.

No basis? What do you think moses's people did with all thise virgins?
edit on 24-12-2013 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Here's a funny little trick for you.

Jesus gives his approval of every word in the bible right?

Is the bible the divine word of god?

Is jesus the same entity as god?

Then jesus approves of every word.

Unless you dont believe that every word in the bible is divine revelation. Then how can you tell which words are divine?

You have to interpret that for yourself. So is every interpretation correct? Most would say no. So then it comes down to individual interpretations. Which means that none of it can be trusted because everyone interprets these words differently. So you have to look at it skeptically. Thats when you notice things like donkeys talking, and thousands of dead rising from their graves, people walking on water, changing one substance into another, so on and so on, until you realise that none of it is based in reality and people were just writing down what they thought was the truth.

Now more than 5000 years later we have a very accomplished scientific community. And we can look back at these stories ( most of which are outright taken from sumerian (tablets of enki), buddhist (tao, sidhartha, and ancient indian cultures, baghvad gita, epic of gilgamesh) and see that those people were primitive in their thoughts and then the romans used this system to try and unite all religions under one banner. The universal church (catholic means universal) who along with spain and england, started killing everyone who disagreed with them. Thats a great way to spread your belief system huh? Every parent for generations were forced to teach their children these stories as facts for fear of death. That went on for a long time under several different themes. What a moral and merciful god you have accepted.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

LittleByLittle
I am looking at LDS pages right now to see what their ideas are. Interesting read for me.

Are seeking truth?

Religion is the very LAST place you will ever find it.

The entire agenda and purpose behind false religion is to keep the truth HIDDEN.

Have a look at The God Makers on YouTube.

"Many years earlier Bill was told (by the North American high master of druidism he studied under) that if he ever got into spiritual trouble he should join the Mormon church. The reason being is that church had been started by witches for witches to hide out while appearing nice, conservative Republicans. He was pleased to be personally told by the Mormon prophet, elder Faust, that the god of the Mormon temple was Lucifer. Mormon missionaries tend not to use the word ‘mor-mon’ since it means ‘gates of hell’ in china Source

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join