It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Cop vs. Bad Cop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Good Cop Vs. Bad Cop

If you are a parent I can almost bet that you knew what this thread was going to entail before you even clicked on it.

So which one are you?

I am The Bad Cop, and I guess that was a safe assumption since seeing as how it wouldn't be much of a rant if I got to be "The Giver of All That Is Good".

Good Cop Vs. Bad Cop is not a new phenomena and most of us remember our parents being one way or the other as well. Even at the age of 5 you pretty much knew which parent to go to, to ask for an extra dessert and which parent to go to for permission to watch Nightmare on Elm Street or Porky's.

As you got older you knew which parent was easier on your curfew and which parent was going to block out the sunlight to your room for 3 weeks because you were an hour late and didn't call. If you were REALLY lucky you had a parent who would actually run interference for you with the other parent to keep you out of trouble or to get your "sentence reduced"

My parents did a pretty good job of keeping the scales closer to even than most of my friend's parents were. Dad usually always left it up to mom unless he was in a bad mood. Eeek.

So what's the point you ask?

Well... I don't really have one. It's just a rant and I was curious as to how many here experience this fantasticness in their own home/in their own family and how it affects your marriage.

My daughter just turned 16 and my husband has always been the "Good Cop" unless he was in a seriously bad mood. Anything "unpleasant" is left to me 99.9999% of the time. She bought home a report card a few months ago that she knew was not acceptable and she had been warned (by me of course) that if she didn't pull her grades up, she would lose her phone until the next report came in. When my husband looks at the report card he says "Hey, that's not so bad is it?" I think I chipped a few back teeth in an effort not to temporarily lose my sanity. She is in the 10th grade and he has always been aware of what grades she needed to further her education with a scholarship (she wants to go to art school) ... and those grades weren't going to get it. His reasoning??? He didn't like school either. Gahhhh..... So in front of her he has made her aware that he thinks it's ok and if she is punished... it wasn't him doing it.

Now I am super evil and get the death stare incessantly if I carry through.

Don't get me wrong... Most all of us parents do small things here and there for our children that we hope we will be remembered fondly by them for years down the road. But it does kind of get old feeling like you are always the one to say no or hand down punishment. I did wonder briefly about not saying no anymore and let him see what came of that, but it wouldn't be fair to her. Somebody has to try and teach her life lessons and if I have to do it alone all of the time, then that is my job.

I'll just buy her a Darth Vader helmet to block the death stare.

He is a good dad and she is an awesome kid regardless of my little rant here really. There are far worse things than being a lot more lenient than your spouse I know, but it does cause tension at times. Sometimes I would like some backup or a small break from being "Mommy Dearest". I don't really get all that upset over wire hangers.

On a side note - I think all children are born with an innate ability to divide and conquer.
who among us never tried that tactic?

Who in your house hands down the rules and punishment? Do you back your partner up or try to stay out of it?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Alas in my line of work I have been labeled the bad cop. More and more people hate me for the job I do which when you work in education and protected minors from naughty things...you learn to expect it.

As for house hold.... Bad cop aswell, I always have to punish when the other half always praises...

As for the picture, Im the black spy...damn that white spy... some might say we have it in for each other..

Almost a...

Spy...Vs...Spy
edit on 3102America/Chicagokamb2013201336America/Chicago by thekaboose because: Spelling and...things

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

thekaboose

As for house hold.... Bad cop aswell, I always have to punish when the other half always praises...

As for the picture, Im the black spy...damn that white spy... some might say we have it in for each other..

Almost a...

Spy...Vs...Spy

Yep... that sounds about right. At least I know I am not the only one!

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I'm both good cop and bad cop sometimes depending on the situation.

Thing is I really don't care for the Police!
LoL

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

andy06shake

I'm both good cop and bad cop sometimes depending on the situation.

Thing is I really don't care for the Police!
LoL

Hey! At least you get to feel the "joy" both sides bring.
Silver lining and all that.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Its Christmas mate I have to feel the joy its in the contract! Ho,ho,ho

top topics

join