It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom by separation of labels, thoughts, and concepts...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
When a person claims to be something, it becomes a role. They want to do everything that they feel the person of that "role" should be doing and if they don't accomplish it all they feel bad about themselves, or they may judge others to make themselves feel better.

One common role that I hear is the idea of a "real man" so I will use that as an example.

"a REAL man is this...", "a REAL man is that..."

When one associates oneself with an idea, it allows others to control them. "Oh, if you were a REAL man you would have done this or that, you would have done what I wanted you to do, so you're not a real man". Then the defensiveness happens and a need is felt to prove oneself to everyone.

When you say "I am not an idea",
you give yourself freedom from trying to fit many roles.

When you say "I am not a thought",
you give yourself freedom from all of the mental noise.

When you say "I am not the body, I can't turn a single hair of mine gray!",
you become less judgmental of the body and when others criticize it becomes less personal.

When you separate yourself from thought and body saying "this is not me", it creates space where defensiveness once was...

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

The question to ask is, why am I here ?

What does the world what to teach me ?

What do I need to learn from all the things that are happening to me.

For your own reality is different to each and everyone of us.

I am here to experience life, no matter what happens.

We are all equal to everything on this world, and we all have the power to choose what we want out of life.

Just don't live in the box, make your own.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I tend to agree with what you said, to be abstract from labels and expectations by self and others does bring freedom to the mind body and soul, but thoughts we cannot escape. Everything manifests in this physical world from a thought which has grown, be it negitive or positive. So to say to one's self "I am not a thought" may be a little vague. Thoughts, good thoughts should be nourised.

Peace

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jsettica

jsettica
reply to post by arpgme

Just don't live in the box, make your own.

It's not about living or not living in a box. It's about understanding that the boxes have nothing to do with who you truly are.

Many thoughts come saying that a person is "this" or "that", or a person must do "this" or "that". When a person stays aware that they are not their thoughts, a space is felt that gives relief.

reply to post by Ranong

Ranong
I tend to agree with what you said, to be abstract from labels and expectations by self and others does bring freedom to the mind body and soul, but thoughts we cannot escape.

It's not about escaping anything. It's about keeping awareness that you are not your thoughts so that a space of relief can be felt. It's not about getting rid of them, or never acting on them. Just realizing that you are separate from your thoughts because thoughts come and go, and beliefs come and go, and even the body changes over time.

Ranong
Everything manifests in this physical world from a thought which has grown, be it negitive or positive.

That is a belief. It is true that if the mind focuses on something, it'll be more likely to keep seeing that in the world, but it is a belief that thoughts manifest into the physical world. Many thoughts come, possibly many many times, but not all of them appear in physical reality.

Ranong
So to say to one's self "I am not a thought" may be a little vague.

I am consciousness. That one would work too, because it helps to remind you that anything 'physical' - is what you are not. Some people may argue that consciousness is created by the brain. This is irrelevant here, because whether or not it is created by something physical, it is something abstract that you can't directly point to and see "I am this".

Just like you can play an instrument and make music, but the music itself cannot be captured. It can be symbolized by notes, but it needs some sort of equipment to actually manifest, even if it is a speaker from a tape recorder.

Ranong
Thoughts, good thoughts should be nourised.

Again, this is another belief.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
YES!, "I am consciousness", is what comes before thought and feeling and emotion. I see what you mean that when one realizes "I am consciousness" it is the fundamental bedrock to be able to become the "observer" of one's self as we are, be it image, attachment or ego.
To say thought is a belief! I can't agree there my friend, beliefs spring from thoughts, but the mere fact that a thought is a belief! I dare say, is a stretch of the imagination.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ranong

Without any words or thoughts, is it possible to recall a belief? You can only react in the moment instinctively.

I am not saying this to demonize language or beliefs, only to help bring an awareness that thoughts, beliefs/opinions, come and go so they are not the true self. The true self is separate from all of this and is therefore, free.

The body, thoughts, and emotions is the water, and The Self is the glass which holds it. The water will be poured out, dry, or be refilled, but the glass remains constant.

edit on 19-12-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Interesting there is something missing from what you are saying.

In this present reality your thoughts are you, there can be no box, there needs to be some kind of a box for you to even have this discussion. If that's the case then there would be no world, and if that is the case than your Idea would work in a non physical reality. Where there would be no confines to what you say.

Now if your talking about a quantum existence where all things are possible at once and we can freely move around that reality as quantum beings than I would agree, but we are not there yet.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Gentlefolks, I am really enjoying this topic but alas, it after 2 a.m. where I am so I will leave you,....for now.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

jsettica
In this present reality your thoughts are you

In this present reality, I am aware of thoughts. Thoughts come and go.

jsettica
there can be no box, there needs to be some kind of a box for you to even have this discussion.

I didn't say there was or was not a box.

jsettica
If that's the case then there would be no world, and if that is the case than your Idea would work in a non physical reality.

I am not talking about an 'idea', I'm talking about reality, and the reality is that you are not your thoughts since they come and leave you.

jsettica
Now if your talking about a quantum existence where all things are possible at once and we can freely move around that reality as quantum beings than I would agree, but we are not there yet.

I'm not talking about quantum existence. I'm talking about consciousness and what it is aware of (the changing body, thoughts, emotions - all things that change or leave you - yet you are awareness aware of all of the hi's and bye's and all of the changes).

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

All right I reread your opening post.

First of I don't take anything anyone says personally. Every one has a opinion right or wrong what ever they say I could not care less what they say for it comes from there view point.

Second is that when some says something anything it is a reflection of a aspect of you something that they don't like in them self.

Three where does all of this come from well, you might not like this but it is all past life generated memories.

How do I know I work with people that can't for some reason get away from there past.

It keeps getting replayed over and over in there lives and they don't know how to stop it.

As much as most people try to run away from it, it's no use if you don't deal with it in this life than you will deal with it in the next and so it's past down just like how cancer is passed down.

All of peoples problems come from the past to the present and live through them in the now, that applies to every one, there is no getting away from it, no matter what anyone believes.

That is how life works sure there are exceptions but not many, you have bin around the block many times yourself.

I can tell.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Yes, like I said, I'm not advocating escapism. I'm simply saying to not identify with thought, realizing that they come and go. Not to deny them, or ignore them, but to have this awareness so that there can be a space in between - a relief. Some people 'know' this, but they quickly forgetting. Keeping it in my will put thoughts at a distance and help keep an awareness of that space in between.

top topics

join