It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAAB wins F-X2 competition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
SAAB has won the contract to replace the Brazilian Air Force Mirage 2000C, and several F-5EMs, with the Gripen E/F. The contract calls for 36 aircraft. The contract negotiations will take up to 12 months, with delivery to take place 48 months after signing.

The agreement would also allow older C/D aircraft to be flown in from Swiss units to replace retired Mirage 2000s. The C/D aircraft would be replaced by new E/F aircraft after deliveries start. The Gripen was competing against the Rafale, and the F-18E/F Super Hornet.

Brazil has selected the Saab Gripen E/F for the 36 aircraft F-X2 requirement to replace its air force's older combat types.

With an acquisition cost in the region of $4.5 billion, the Gripens will replace the Dassault Mirage 2000C fighters operated by the 1st Air Defence Group and a number of the modernised Northrop F-5EMs in four other Air Force squadrons.

The long-awaited announcement was made on 18 December by Brazilian defence minister Celso Amorim and Brazilian air force Chief Gen Juniti Saito.

The decision was driven by aircraft performance, transfer of technology and low through-life costs, according to the officials.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Not really surprising when NSA is spying on the customer to get information that can help the deal. I myself do not want to buy a single product that is American if I have an alternative and will never do the tourist things after all the wars US have caused. Voting for US citizens to do a change against fascism with my money.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

Uhm...the US company lost, so how did the NSA help them?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

LittleByLittle
Not really surprising when NSA is spying on the customer to get information that can help the deal.

Oh look, according to some reports the NSA actually screwed the deal for Boeing.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Zaphod58

LittleByLittle
Not really surprising when NSA is spying on the customer to get information that can help the deal.

Oh look, according to some reports the NSA actually screwed the deal for Boeing.

NSA/US is using their technology for unfair advantage in deals. The problem is that it is known and therefor it has become the opposite effect and now the corporations are losing deals instead because nobody trusts US. NSA was not supposed to get caught. Karma.

This is only the tip of the iceberg and it will only get worse.
edit on 19-12-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Brazil have got a good aircraft. A good balance of affordability and Western technology and a poke in the eye of the US who have clearly royally messed things up. The original FX2 competition saw the big Russian, US and European aircraft lined up and even (from what I have read) a proposal for a Russian / Brazilian collaboration on some 5th generation design, like that was new! Russia seem to make this proposition at every turn.

Gripen = good.

Regards

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
The Sea Gripen - suppose the maintenence costs are lower, the upgrade paths are similar and it will spank any of its neighbours. I like the Gripen and SaaBs efforts.

Just hope Brazil doesnt decide to OWN the Falklands!

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

If these guys don't think the Euros, and everyone else, doesn't do the same thing, then it's pointless discussing it with them.

I recall the heads of the Euro going to a southeast Asian country, the name escapes, and threatened them with an economic embargo...unless they chose to purchase Airbus rather than Boeings. Even the U.S. isn't that brazen.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by IamSirDrinksalot

It's too far from Brazil, and way too cold at the beach

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

LittleByLittle
Not really surprising when NSA is spying on the customer to get information that can help the deal. I myself do not want to buy a single product that is American if I have an alternative and will never do the tourist things after all the wars US have caused. Voting for US citizens to do a change against fascism with my money.

Do you think the Chinese and Russian intelligence services are doing anything different? Of course not. And they have at least as good creativity (Russia) and ability to infiltrate (Russia & China) vs NSA. They only have somewhat smaller data centers, but that's it.

And there is no law, no whistleblowers, no oversight, no courts, no legal restrictions, no nothing.

It's reasonable to be pissed off about excessive NSA intrusions. Are you going also boycott everything manufactured in China?

Now Iceland's an honest country, but they don't make jets.

edit on 22-12-2013 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-12-2013 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

LittleByLittle

Zaphod58

LittleByLittle

NSA/US is using their technology for unfair advantage in deals.

Actually is there any evidence of the NSA data being used for commercial purposes? I haven't heard of any.

It's fairly well known that the French have done so for ages, and for the Chinese, that's practically the entire business.

top topics

join