It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson: The Latest Victim of the PC Police

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

WilsonWilson
I dont get this, a prevalent idea seems to be that if somebody says something offensive, insulting or derogatory, and thats bothers you. then there is something wrong with you. Is this an american kind of mind set?

Yep, you have the right to say whatever you want, but no one has the right to be offended by what you say. You have the right to say whatever you want, but no one has the right to say you are wrong.

That's the thread summed up.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Wow. We must live in different states. But here in every place I have ever worked the laws are posted in clear view near the time clock or in the brake room. At any rate its hard to fight any sort of firing done for discriminatory reasons. So maybe its just in effect of no effect.

I got turned down for a job working for a political action group with left leanings, by the black administrator, when I told him I wasn't a democrat. He told me flat out that I couldn't work there.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I dont get the issue really.
of course you have a right to say what you want, BUT it's pretty normal for your boss to come back to you on it, if it reflects badly on him.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by WilsonWilson

I believe for the mindset on this, the line is a clear and very bright one. If Phil had said this with invididual direction? It would have been something all together different. That would have been mean spirited, perhaps even vicious and hurtful to a person. He has since even clarified that he would never treat anyone with disrespect, regardless of their views or lifestyle.

In this case though, he was giving an unscripted interview which was about his personal views, and he gives them as asked.

I figure everyone has a right to be offended or not offended. There are things I see every day which offend me on a personal level. However, that doesn't extend to doing something to the speaker over merely feeling offended....like seeking his professional ruin or anything else, IMO.

Stopping short of trampling other people's rights in pursuit of our own does seem to be an American thing at times. (that's probably just perception tho)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

WilsonWilson
of course you have a right to say what you want, BUT it's pretty normal for your boss to come back to you on it, if it reflects badly on him.

Exactly. Here, we have two entities expressing themselves the way they wish... And everyone gets their panties in a knot. I don't really get it, either. It's like people MUST find a villain and a victim in every situation. Some take the side of A&E and some take the side of Phil.

Both were well within their rights.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

WilsonWilson

These people would probably be rather upset to know I've fired people for having offensive tattoos and wearing offensive clothing. I've fired people for saying offensive things on the job. I don't give a damn about free speech when money is involved.
edit on 19-12-2013 by antonia because: opps, wrong letter

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
He has since even clarified that he would never treat anyone with disrespect, regardless of their views or lifestyle.

He doesn't even realize (and apparently neither do you) that what he said most definitely treats people with disrespect.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

He doesn't even realize (and apparently neither do you) that what he said most definitely treats people with disrespect.

Oh, I realize it perfectly. I disagree with what he said as he shared his views/Faith. The setting was where it was being asked for though, so, I don't really care if some people felt disrespected. He didn't make it to an individual and if this is read closely? This isn't even stated at his personal opinion as something he's come up with.

I just disagree entirely with the concept that free speech can co-exist with the attitude that we have the right to be free from being offended by speech. The outcry is absurd for the levels it's reaching.

link   
reply to post by MOMof3

HE DOESNT THINK LIKE I DO!!! PUNISH HIM (them)

I am totally sick and tired of PC, of people getting bent out of shape over what someone they have never met said not to mention NOT getting bent out of shape over the important things in our society.

Duck Dynasty opinions? Important? F NO

What the govt is doing? F YEAH!

Anything the Kardashians do and say? F NO

Our govt's inability to control their spending? The govt's opinion that my money is theirs? The govt's continued actions and inactions hurting our economy? F YEAH THESE ARE IMPORTANT!

I honestly feel that we have this ultra modern version of the Roman Games going on to distract the masses from what are the real issues.

link   

Benevolent Heretic

antonia
I personally think this is a big publicity scam though.

I agree. Gay bashing IS getting more attention than it ever has because we're coming to the pinnacle of the "fight" for equal rights. More and more, we're hearing about states voting FOR marriage equality and any controversy around homosexuality gets a lot of attention. I wouldn't have thought this show needed more attention, but I think that's what's going on.
edit on 12/19/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

What are you talking about man? In some states they are trying to pass laws that churches MUST do GL marriages even if its against their creed. If it were equal rights you were after you would stop playing the race card on this issue, split the diff and go to a church that willingfully recognizes GL marriages.

When it comes to churches doing marriages the GL lifestyle just doesn't have the inherent rights here that races have. And whatever rights they do have do not trump a churches right not to do it. This is the state forcing constitutionally protected organizations to do as it says. And the issue question expands further into a violation of constitutionally protect rights of free speech within that church. If they can make churches do this they will next monitor what's being said from the pulpit with the larger goal in mind of monitoring all speech therein.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I find it funny that Phil gets thrown under the bus for speaking his mind and some butt-hurt gay groups get so offended by it. And every website that talks about it offers "recommended videos" to watch with Miley Cyrus grinding up on Santa during a concert.

This world is messed up.

I hope they drop A&E because of this. They just shot themselves in the foot, big time

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Logarock
In some states they are trying to pass laws that churches MUST do GL marriages even if its against their creed.

I'm not sure this is being done (do you have a link?), but there's nothing wrong with trying. I don't think it will pass, though. I don't approve of churches performing ceremonies that their religion disapproves of. The state should not be involved in churches and vice versa.

edit on 12/19/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

How do you play the race card on a gay issue? Wouldn't that be the gay card?

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Phil is a evangelical conservative, he is in a group that more than advocates being responsible for your own actions. He said some really hurtful things, but is being portrayed as the victim, by those who share his views.

Phil needs to stand up and be a man and own up to his mistake.

btw I do like Duck Dynasty and the family, but when your wrong just stand up and face the music, besides open honest dialogue would be a benefit for everyone.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Benevolent Heretic

Wrabbit2000
He has since even clarified that he would never treat anyone with disrespect, regardless of their views or lifestyle.

Really?

So, the tone of the nation now is to punish all those who voice an opinion that somehow treats other's with disrespect?

So, perhaps we should punish all religions that voice an opinion that "treats a group with disrespect", including criminals and anyone who exhibits behavior that is morally questionable?

Placing such a high regard on the term disrespect reminds me of the attitudes of ghetto people.

IF you find what he said offensive then QUIT WATCHING THE SHOW. If you dont watch the show, then why would you give a flying F what he says?

I could find (and often do) what rap music lyrics and culture offensive...I refuse to buy their crap, but I am not going to try to make it into anything more than what it is: crap coming from ignorant a$$es supported by other ignorants. I support their right to say whatever, I also support my right to not have to listen to the crap.

If I were going to be overly offended by anything it would be the hijacking of the word "gay".

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Religion is just the best!

You can say any ignorant, backwards, hateful, bigoted thing you want and then cry persecution when people call you out on your stone-age stupidity.

The biggest con in history. Hands-down.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

jtap66
Religion is just the best!

You can say any ignorant, backwards, hateful, bigoted thing you want and then cry persecution when people call you out on your stone-age stupidity.

The biggest con in history. Hands-down.

Yep, pretty much. If we last to the end of the century people will just be facepalming at the crap we are pulling right now.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bbracken677

I didn't say any of the crap that's in your post. And I support Phil's right to say what he said, even though I disagree with him. So, come up with a better argument.

Interestingly,

Gay "Storage Wars" Duo Respond to Duck Dynasty Comments

Hilarious! I'm not going to repeat their comments here, but it's pretty funny.

(post by Logarock removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

No, I just don't follow that sort of news. Can you provide a link or not?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join