It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson: The Latest Victim of the PC Police

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bbracken677

So biblical locations and proof of people means the bible is non-fiction?? ok........

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I think A&E was stupid in their decision to suspend him. They didn't take into account the audience for Duck Dynasty, how many gay people watch the show ... really? They put their foot in their mouth, because a group wrote to them demanding action.

Now it probably cost them a bunch of money because without Phil the whole family won't be interested in doing the show. They had every right to fire him, it was just stupid, and I think it sets a dangerous precedent, people in the public eye will no longer answer questions truthfully for fear of being told to shut up, we don't agree with you. I can't for one second believe A&E didn't know his stance on gays, anyone who watches the show would or SHOULD know, he's a deeply religious man .. not to mention he's old, from Louisiana and a hunter, not saying there is no one in Louisiana with those stats that are gay, but I doubt there are many. I just can't believe they were shocked he didn't have a progressive view of gays!!

Most religious people do believe the same thing he said, my grandmother believes it is a sin to be gay, and I have a cousin who is gay. She treats my cousin the same way she treats everyone, with respect .... but she prays for her every night!! I don't agree with my grandmother or with Phil, I don't even believe in God, but I respect their opinions!

America needs to stop getting their feelings hurt over stupid little things!

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

Oh puleaassssseeeee.

It's so tiring bearing witness to this endless partisan complaining.

I think Obama's done a fairly decent job. Shrinking military, at least to the point where we don't wastefully maintain bases in parts of the world that aren't strategically relevant, was a good idea.

Social heathcare - I'm Canadian
- is also a good idea. Just because the website was poorly handled, and yes, he lied about how it would affect people who already have health insurance, doesn't mean the idea was bad. And his misleading the public is not as egregious as people are making it out to be.

Take Bush. Was his war in Iraq a good idea? I don't think it was. I think the whole WMD was a pretext to get in there, take out Saddam, and start "nation building". Although he may have had a decent idea - to transplant democracy into the middle east by force - we now know for certain how inept such a strategy is.

I think the internet can do a much better job - Egypt as a prime example - to facilitate democratic changes in Muslim countries.

Anywho, I've gotten off topic.

Phil Robertson and really, the whole Ducks Dynasty gang, are not exactly what I would call role model material. In fact, I would consider them a paragon of mindlessness - of ego-charged manliness and cockiness that fits such a rigid mould that they frequently wont do things that they think "men" don't do.

In other words, they're very trained to think, feel and act a certain way. Although its funny - particularly with Si - it's always really stupid, really unconscious, and really bad material for a growing child to be exposed to.

jus ma apinion.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

TheWrightWing

Leftists prefer to turn men into onesy-wearing cocoa sippers who welcome our Big Government overlords.

They actively target manly men to destroy the image of masculinity in the hopes of making that a thing of the past.

Speaking as a Leftist woman, I prefer my men to work toward the idea of not needing any government (an anarchist) and not cry like a baby anytime they are presented with people different from themselves and allow their hurt feelings over the matter to warp their sense of reality into believing they suffer persecution.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

jhn7537

The concept of religion is for the weak minded... im not admitting to anything...lol

I call it fiction, just like others consider it factual, based off a lot of stories... You can't prove to me it's real
edit on 20-12-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

I have not made an issue of it being real. You have made the claims it is fiction, as if that were fact, no?
It is your OPINION it is fiction. You cannot prove it, you cannot come close to proving it is fiction.

In my 59 years I have found that many that refer to others as weak-minded are either people of low character or people of low intelligence that have failed in life. Their bitterness is palpable as they find someone else to blame, to find a way to elevate their perception of themselves by putting down others.

People with attitudes such as yours are anything BUT enlightened, anything BUT progressive. Those people tend to be small minded/close minded people who can absolutely not co-exist with differing views. Hence the need to stifle differing opinions in whatever manner possible.

My issue here is not with people believing Phil was wrong. Not with people who disagree with me, nor even with Phil's belief system. You are welcome, as it is your right, to not believe nor accept his christian views.

My issue is with the fact that his rights have been violated (civil rights) and that people would actively stifle free speech by using punitive measures.

My issue is that a MAN didnt wimp out on a question posed to him, but rather answered honestly according to his belief system. My issue is that, apparently, people believe he should have wimped out instead of standing up like a man.

My final issue is that this has been made into such a big deal (how DARE he state that homosexuality is a sin!!) and yet the govt get's off with not even a slap on the hands for completely shredding our constitution during the last 12 years or so. NSA, IRS, Patriot Act, Obamacare etc etc etc etc etc etc

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

He's not being "fired" for his beliefs. He's being fired because of what the consequences of his words will be. A&E doesn't care what he believes, but they do care about public opinion and their bottom line. It's all about money.

He responded with his religious beliefs regarding homosexuality, paraphrasing the Bible, and was fired for "gay bashing".

Regardless of whether A&E cares what his beliefs are, and regardless of whether it's all about the money, the basic fact is he expressed his beliefs in a religious context and was canned for it.

That is illegal.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

He was under a contract, and he was employed by a TV network. As a reality TV star he represents that network 24-7. This would have been explained when he signed his contract. A&E basically "owned" his life for a set period of time. He apparently broke his contract, because I doubt the legal team at A&E would risk a civil rights lawsuit.

This whole argument is nothing more than a disguise. The real argument is about people feeling hurt because a man that thinks the same way as they do is not getting paid anymore.

It's not about free speech
It's not a "civil rights" issue

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Oh, and if you are a Phil supporter you're in the same boat as the Westboro Baptist folks:

Westboro Baptists Support 'Duck Dynasty' Star Phil Robertson Following A&E Suspension: Church Plans Picket

Westboro Baptist Church announced their intention to picket the A&E headquarters in New York City in protest of Robertson's suspension. Over 300,000 people have signed a "Stand With Phil Robertson" petition, which will be hand-delivered to A&E on Monday.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Any position other than the center - or a position that leans slightly to the left or right - is irrational, dogmatic, and extreme.

Everything about life and living requires harmony i.e. integration of opposites. Why wouldn't politics be the same? Why would you think anarchism - a society without government - be a good idea? It's a bad idea. As bad an idea as state-communism.

I've come to embrace a little bit of everything. Government is useful, but so is a free market economy. Individualism is important, but it has to work within a communal structure.

When you jump to one side or the other, the system inevitably breaks down. This is what systems theory teaches us.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

...and with that declaration of support, I'm sure we'll never see the Robertson clan on TV again.

Something tells me that is an endorsement no one actually asks for and anyone getting it probably wishes they could somehow send back.

Westboro Baptist Church announced their intention to picket the A&E headquarters in New York City in protest of Robertson's suspension.

...I wonder what they say about the WBC if asked bluntly? Something tells me the WBC wouldn't like them so much after that.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I honestly didn't expect WBC to speak out on this ... They've been fairly quiet as of late. This is like throwing a rotten apple into the bushel. I'm sure there are a lot of good people that support Phil, but these yahoos over at Westboro are just mucking up the whole thing.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
Oh, and if you are a Phil supporter you're in the same boat as the Westboro Baptist folks:

Westboro Baptists Support 'Duck Dynasty' Star Phil Robertson Following A&E Suspension: Church Plans Picket

Westboro Baptist Church announced their intention to picket the A&E headquarters in New York City in protest of Robertson's suspension. Over 300,000 people have signed a "Stand With Phil Robertson" petition, which will be hand-delivered to A&E on Monday.

Well, if that news get out in the mainstream, it may have a impact as most rational people don't like the hate the WSB spew.

Personally though, I think that this entire thing is much to do about nothing. The unfortunate side effect though is I guarantee that there will be lawsuits over this and the drama will continue.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This is really ridiculous....

A man (Phil Robertson) states his opinion based on a book written by men about an invisible man who lives in the sky in an invisible place called heaven who tells people how they should think and act so that when they die, they get to go live in the invisible place with the invisible man.

The Robertson's signed a contract with A&E. It would probably behoove them to read the fine print in the contract as it pertains to this matter. Everybody's opinion ( including mine ) are just blowing hot air.

In the end, the Robertson's either walk or bow down to A&E's demands. The lawyers will decide... not us or the court of public opinion.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

So I'm the one defending the gay community, also sympathetic to their feelings but I'm the close minded one... Ok, that makes a whole lot of sense... Maybe in the eyes of religious folks im close minded, but on many other topics I'm anything but that. I'm sorry that I'm one who puts science before a book written thousands of years ago.. You can keep taking all the cheap shots you want at me, it only speaks to your character too, and I'd expect better out of a married 59 year old man. You should be better then that, but I guess you enjoy getting into pissing matches with 20-somethings year olds instead of taking the higher road...
edit on 20-12-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
What it boils down to is this… the dude said something that is based in pure engrained judgement. And not just normal judgement, it is tied to the same judgement that has been used for the past 2000 years to subjugate/kill/imprison etc. groups of people by a religious tyranny.

No one, no one, on the other side is saying that this dude will burn forever in eternal hellfire for being who he naturally is, as a person. Do you not realize that he is saying specifically that? That gay people will never be allowed into the kingdom of heaven. I mean, every bit of this statement is psychotic from the ground up. The fact that this dude thinks that he knows something that the rest of us cannot know. That he has access to some divine information that I don't have? And that he believes it so much, that he is so right, and a certain group of people is so wrong, just for being who they naturally are, that he is going to state it publicly. And he really believes that he is going to go somewhere good for all of eternity, while they, who make no such degree of judgement against him, are going to endure eternal suffering? You think that this brutally outdated, illogical, and narrow view of humanity is a good way to operate? You think that this is a good way for people to come together? It never has been. And the church is finally, after years and years of a brutal reign, just beginning to realize just how outdated their methods, and books, are.

Now of course, he has every right to say whatever he wants, just as A&E has every right to do what they want. I am so all for free speech. But we all have every right to say loudly… Stop the incredible arrogance! There is absolutely no evidence that you are chosen or are better than anyone else. In fact, the fact that you say things like you are going to heaven and other people aren't (all statements that have no evidence behind them whatsoever) is you passing judgement, harshly, not them. The high horse of religion knows no bounds, as proven by history, over and over again.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

jhn7537

So biblical locations and proof of people means the bible is non-fiction?? ok........

No...but it is more indicative than any subjective proof you will provide?

Your response is nothing but a deflection from the challenge issued to you.

I made no claims about fact or fiction, merely that I could prove THOSE details.

So..instead of misinterpreting my words, perhaps you should clarify yours...if you cannot, you need not reply

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
What is happening to ATS?

This story is the Top Story? Who cares what some nutty hillbilly thinks?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Astrocyte
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

Oh puleaassssseeeee.

And his misleading the public is not as egregious as people are making it out to be.

Take Bush. Was his war in Iraq a good idea? I don't think it was. I think the whole WMD was a pretext to get in there, take out Saddam, and start "nation building". Although he may have had a decent idea - to transplant democracy into the middle east by force - we now know for certain how inept such a strategy is.

Excusing one error with an example of another error is a failed argument at best.

You admit that Obama lied...you have not admitted that during his watch there have been a rather large number of scandals, most of which involve the shredding of the constitution (NSA, IRS, Fast and Furious coverup, bugging of the House chambers, etc etc etc etc )

And yet, he has done a decent job? ROFL

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Kali74

TheWrightWing

Leftists prefer to turn men into onesy-wearing cocoa sippers who welcome our Big Government overlords.

They actively target manly men to destroy the image of masculinity in the hopes of making that a thing of the past.

Speaking as a Leftist woman, I prefer my men to work toward the idea of not needing any government (an anarchist) and not cry like a baby anytime they are presented with people different from themselves and allow their hurt feelings over the matter to warp their sense of reality into believing they suffer persecution.

Thank you.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

If you haven't already read this book, you should check out The Bible Unearthed

The book overview

In this iconoclastic and provocative work, leading scholars Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman draw on recent archaeological research to present a dramatically revised portrait of ancient Israel and its neighbors. They argue that crucial evidence (or a telling lack of evidence) at digs in Israel, Egypt, Jordan, and Lebanon suggests that many of the most famous stories in the Bible -- the wanderings of the patriarchs, the Exodus from Egypt, Joshua's conquest of Canaan, and David and Solomon's vast empire -- reflect the world of the later authors rather than actual historical facts.
Challenging the fundamentalist readings of the scriptures and marshaling the latest archaeological evidence to support its new vision of ancient Israel, The Bible Unearthed offers a fascinating and controversial perspective on when and why the Bible was written and why it possesses such great spiritual and emotional power today.

So, that's just one book to check out...

People believe in the bible because most were indoctrinated into the belief by their families and thats what they are told to believe..... period!

There is no archeological, historical evidence from 4 BCE to 30 AD that there ever was a divine man named yeshua. No writings of that era, no coins depicting him, no physical description, no date of birth, no works of carpentry, no government documents written about him by either hebrew or roman officials of that time yet personal and government documents from that era..NOTHING about a divine jesus or yeshua.

The new testament is a collection of books written by authors unknown. Stories of a talking snake (snakes don't have vocal chords) a talking donkey. Yeshua cursing a fig tree, and yeshua running pigs off a cliff to get the demons out (thats sinful in itself, ruining some farmers livelyhood)

The four gospel writers are not the orignal writers, thats been proven. Some of Josephus writings have been proven forgeries, and Paul said he only saw yeshua in a vision, so he never met him. Therefore without plausable evidence, the yeshua story is BUSTED!

new topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join