It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson: The Latest Victim of the PC Police

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

buster2010

He was an idiot for signing a contract and then thinking he can say what he wants during an interview. There has been people more famous than him that has been canned for what they said during interviews. And for the people saying it violates he free speech no it doesn't because he gave those rights up when he signed the contract.

So signing a contract abrogates your rights??? That's a new one. He must feel like a slave!

I don't think it violating his free speech, just a boner move from the Cable company. I seriously doubt his clan cares if they are on TV or not.

Enforcing political correctness always ends up looking VERY silly to me.

Am I allowed to say that??????????? I must be an idiot.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

ketsuko

TheSubversiveOne
Need we remind people that this is a pseudo-reality show on a pseudo-history channel? We watch a few guys run a duck-call company for entertainment. This is the state of our culture.

Somehow that worries me less than the ones who spent all their time watching a group of 20-somethings getting drunk and laid for entertainment ... also known as Jersey Shore.

That was another highly scripted, choreographed and contrived "reality show" ....What worries me is that people are so stupid they think this is real life!!!

You have a crew of 25 people or more behind the cameras. Grips, gaffers, 2 camera crews, script supervisor, directors, assistant directors, 2nd ACs, hair and make up, production assistants, wardrobe and many many more. Yeah....real life!!! They're actors for Christ sake. Look it up!!! Reality shows have nothing to do with "reality" it's about ratings and sponsorship; entertaining the dumbass people so they will go and buy the dumbass products advertised.

sheesh..........
edit on 18-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Happy Happy Happy

2nd

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Long but good.....

edit on 18-12-2013 by pavil because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2013 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

You'll never convince me that Chumlee is an actor.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Anyone else sick of hearing about gays?

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

My son is gay and he is tired of hearing about gays.

Good Lord, and I'm not white.

So a non-white-gay person is sick of the PC poop!
edit on 18-12-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
It just really bugs me when people use the term redneck and hillbilly in a derogatory manor, without any knowledge of the rich history of these people, my mom came out of Appalachia , and her family.

These people suffer and have suffered perhaps more than any others in America.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
He believes homosexuality is wrong. He didn't say anything hateful.

This is protected under the first amendment and religious freedom of speech.

And i take this view even though i am a Deist and don't believe in organized religion.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by BABYBULL24

My son is gay and he is tired of hearing about gays.

Good Lord, and I'm not white.

So a non-white-gay person is sick of the PC poop!
edit on 18-12-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

Agreed..heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, what's it matter??? What people do in their own bedrooms, it's their business...keep it where it belongs, in the bedroom. When I see my nephew, I don't think, o hey here comes my gay nephew. I think, hey here comes my nephew who I love. Period. I have 0 caring of what you do in your bedroom, it's what type of person you are as a a whole that matters to me.....

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Stormdancer777
It just really bugs me when people use the term redneck and hillbilly in a derogatory manor, without any knowledge of the rich history of these people, my mom came out of Appalachia , and her family.

Do you think they suffered more than African Slaves or Native Americans?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

How did you know my life gurl? a bedazzled one too!

seriously though, what he said is offensive, but i wont get offended, one can believe what they want, if they want to morph out of Homosexuality into bestiality and almost compare the two and say it's a sin, their belief. because i have the same right to call him a redneck that morphs into a low level IQ human that morphs into incest...

Other peoples opinions of me are none of my business

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

or gay people...

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I didn't mean hillbilly to be derogatory. Half my family were rednecks, and I mean real rednecks. Cattle ranching rednecks. Farmer rednecks. I mean hillbilly as in country, backwoods, redneck, what should I call it? To me it's more a term of endearment than anything else, though I suppose lacing it in with backwards ass could give the wrong impression. Redneck doesn't always mean uneducated country bumpkin and hillbilly isn't always a disparaging term meaning uneducated inbred person from the Ozarks. To me they're interchangeable and not an insult. I initially said redneck, but changed it because I didn't want people that identified as redneck to get butthurt. I was not aware hillbilly was a sensitive word.

I find it amusing that I'm now defending what I said in a thread about someone being a victim of the PC police.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
What in whatever deities name you pray to is so complicated about this?

What did he say, specifically, that's offensive?

I see nothing. I see a man of conviction, that I disagree with on almost every level, give an opinion of what he thought wasn't alright.

He's entitled to that. He certainly shouldn't loose his job because it makes OTHER people uncomfortable. How the hell is that his problem?

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

LDragonFire

Stormdancer777

Do you think they suffered more than African Slaves or Native Americans?

Do some research, I have posted about their history on the forum before, and yes they did.
My mothers Was NA, btw,
edit on 103131p://bWednesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I read the news report on what was said during the GQ interview. The man did not say anything hateful, just stated his opinion. Now it seems that A&E have their knickers in a knot over his opinion. If they feel that this is such an issue, what do they think of the late great George Carlin? Now George was controversial, very opinionated and his opinions of gays and their lifestyle would have A&E exec's passing out.

As for Phil Roberts, I have no idea who he is or what Duck Dynasty is but from the report, there was absolutely no reason for A&E to retaliate against him for an interview with GQ. A&E is not GQ thus have overstepped their bounds and falsely accused him of stating something he did not say. A&E have made it quite clear, they have an agenda.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

It seems to me that Phil was on everyone that went against God's word on morality not just the LGBT, on the flip side A&E went after Phil for just what he said about gays.

I for one am done with A&E, without Phil in the Duck Dynasty show it is done and I would imagine A&E along with it.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Kali74
The dude can and did say whatever he wants, he is perfectly free to do so. A&E is also free to act on his words however they choose.
Sums It up quite clearly.

Also, A&E is kind of stupid for not expecting this. It's a pretty common position among the right, which this guy is a part of.

Besides, homosexuality is a sin, as in an offense against religious or moral law (obviously religious, since calling a sexual orientation involving consenting adults immoral would be pretty dumb). It doesn't automatically mean bad, only bad in the eyes of religion.
edit on 18-12-2013 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Metallicus
He gave his opinion without targeting anyone specifically. It is his honest belief. Why does he need to be punished for speaking his opinion in the US? When did we start penalizing personal beliefs?

Technically, he is being punished by a private entity (A&E) for a public statement, something I'm sure A&E have teams of lawyers dedicated to policing. He most definitely has every right to say what he did. And his employers, something I think most conservatives/libertarians can agree with, have every right to suspend/cancel his employment due to his contract or other terms of employment.

Some people seem to think freedom of speech = freedom from criticism but it's actually freedom of speech = freedom to criticize.

Disclaimer: I love watching Duck Dynasty and I'm glad that some regular joe's can still make their way up in the world. I wish them all the luck in the world in their business and I will continue to watch their show because it's great. At the same time, I can still disagree with his stance on this topic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join