It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson: The Latest Victim of the PC Police

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

jhn7537

Christian Voice
Homosexuals and their sympathizers in this country are like freaking 5 year old children. They are allowed a public opinion of anyone they want and can be as ugly about it as they want but they wish to prevent us from having an opinion at all. Phil was perfectly within his rights to speak of his faith and how it pertains to homosexuality. Shame on A&E. They can show gays making out on national prime time television but apparently Christians cannot even be interviewed by a magazine anymore without fear of retribution.
SICKENING!!!!

Coming from the Christian Voice your response is shocking..... A&E is a business there to make profit, if they deem something bad PR or detrimental to their business and decide to pull the plug, they have EVERY right to do that. And your right, Phil had every right to speak his mind, just like A&E had every right to pull the plug. No ones rights were abused here, this is just a company making a business decision.

Btw- that first sentence you wrote is hilarious. I wish you could elaborate on that a little more. Can you show me some examples of gays and their sympathizers acting ugly with their public opinions?

Thanks! From a sympathizer...
edit on 20-12-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

According to the civil right's act it is illegal to fire an employee for religious views.

Period.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

lol trying to kill freedom of speech of a minority on a thread about defending someone's freedom of speech.

Doing good so far.. what else?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by bbracken677

It is legal to get fired for hate speech at work place.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
reply to post by jhn7537

Don't worry...people that don't support marriage equality and LGBT rights are just up in arms because they feel they're loosing "the fight". I think another state supreme court last night ruled in favor of gay marriage. I believe that brings it up to what, 11-12 states now?

To those people I say this:

Look, gay marriage is going to happen, it cannot be stopped. Equal rights under the law for everyone is going to happen, even if you personally don't like that idea.

You are reaching badly. lol

Gay marriage had not even crossed my mind until you mentioned it here.

Apparently you are the one sensitive on the issue. I could freakin care less.

My concern with the topic is the PC police state we live in where a person cannot express his beliefs or opinions without a massive and (pardon me for calling progressives this) ignorant backlash.

Yes, ignorant. Seems that gays believe they are due civil rights, but for some reason a backwoods hick is not. According to civil rights legislation it is illegal to terminate someone for their religious beliefs.

Can you say hypocrisy much?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The system, TPTB, what have you have long since feared the "Silent majority". The majority has remained so silent that it has since lost its identity with its own members often wondering if it truly exists. It is time that the "Silent majority" reclaim its voice and make itself known lest its existence become obsolete and irrelevant.

edit on 20-12-2013 by WWJFKD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Another example of the new parameters of free speech...liberals can bash away at organized religion and call tea party members all kinds of nasty names, but step on a gay or black toe and the liberal media will demonize you an anyone that defends you.

What happened to everybody being allowed to have an opinion?

This is fascism....this is the new America. I don't like it at all.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

luciddream

It is legal to get fired for hate speech at work place.

He wasn't at his 'work place'. How is answering a question considered 'hate speech'? The interviewer asked the question. Phil answered. Please read what he actually said. He didn't say anyone was going to hell. He said according to the Bible this a sin along with several other things being sinful such as drunkenness, adultery and bestiality.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Doesn't the bible also say that it's okay to own slaves? I wonder if the bible thumping Christians stand behind that too or are they just cherry picking which verse to live by and which to ignore??

If you live by the book I feel you should live by it all, picking out parts here and there shouldn't be okay....

Just one verse for fun... “When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

You are missing the point entirely. Believe what you want as will I. But I don't have to accept your opinion as my fact because your opinion is falling in favor with the establishment, and don't punish me for my opinion because it is contrary to yours. Be who you be and allow me to be who I am.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Do you have any media pertaining to gays being interviewed by GQ or any other media outlet stating that southern hicks should be banned are not okay? Because that's what's happening here with the guy from down south giving his views on the gay community..

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Khaleesi

No, that is your way of looking at his interview because you share his views.

He connected Homosexuality to Bestiality like many Religious do. Only thing he forgot to do is add the usual line of "what is next? pedophilia"...

They go down the slippery slope fallacy is like there is no tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

Exactly, if EVERYONE minds their OWN business. This topic would not have even be discussed.

But Noooo. He has to comment on someone else's lifestyle and compare it to something not related because a book told him to.

Does he have a comment on people having long hairs or wearing cloths with mixed fabrics?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

jhn7537
Doesn't the bible also say that it's okay to own slaves? I wonder if the bible thumping Christians stand behind that too or are they just cherry picking which verse to live by and which to ignore??

If you live by the book I feel you should live by it all, picking out parts here and there shouldn't be okay....

Just one verse for fun... “When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money

Ignorance is bliss for a Bible ignoramus.

1)Christians were never said to have or keep slaves. It does say if you are one to live godly before their masters.

2) Israel was told they could have slaves and it was according to their Law which only pertains to Israel not Christians today. If you don't know how to rightly divide the word of truth stay away from it you are just wrongly joining things. The verse you quote is for ISRAEL leave the Bible alone if you don't know how to study it. Why do you think there are so many crazy cult churches out there? It is because of people like you applying every verse to you or someone it does not apply too.

3) I live by that book and I will not own slaves nor will I live by laws that were given to all Israel Mal 4:4 and that included tithes and offerings as well.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Well considering that gay marriage is the reason so many people are paying any attention to the homosexual community, I find it fairly relevant.

Phil's rights weren't violated. He chose to be on a show, a show that is owned by a company in the business to make money. That company (A&E) decided that his comments (for some reason) didn't fit. I personally think it's to get ratings.

He has every right to express himself, and he did. The government didn't lock him up or charge him with any kind of hate crime. If that would have been the case, then yes his right to free speech would have been violated.

Let's be honest here. This whole debate is hiding behind 1st Amendment rights -- when in fact the issue really is pro-gay vs. anti-gay. What we are seeing are people who don't approve of the gay lifestyle hiding their arguments behind a thin veil of "free speech" to add legitimacy and to not appear bigoted.

People are offended that more people don't have a conservative, Christian view -- and are upset that someone who thinks like they do is being chastised.

"He's standing up for his Christian beliefs and being called out for it!" -- yep, that's what I am seeing. Not everyone wants to believe in the Christian God, and more and more people are seeing that gay people are people too.

When you sign up to be on a TV show, they are your employer. As a "reality TV celebrity" he represents his show and network 24-7. This is the price these people pay for privilege of being TV stars. Similarly, politicians and anyone in the public eye also is held to a higher standard and watched more closely. If they don't want their words hung on by the media, then they should choose different careers.

link   

It's his right to do so but the prevalent idea that stating your viewpoint holds consequence has got to stop. This practice is effectively muzzling free speech in which people are becoming afraid to speak their minds for fear of retribution. Having an opinion, sharing that opinion has consequences. Really! in America!

Not speaking our minds in force has done a great deal to get us to where we are. Everyone is walking straight ahead with blinders on. Oblivious or purposely ignoring what is going on around them because stepping out of line has consequences.
edit on 20-12-2013 by WWJFKD because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

Did you call me a prehistoric dinosaur.....hahaha

I always found it odd living your life by a book a fiction. I believe religion is for the weak-minded and that they NEED something to gravitate to. I'm not religious and my life is just fine. I'm not committing crimes or acting like a nut ball.. It's amazing how far common sense can take you today..

But if you need religion to feel purpose, have at it... I won't stop you...
edit on 20-12-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
>>
“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,
>>

The replies in this thread are just effing disgusting..

What he said there very well lumps in homosexuals with "bestiality" and worse even as he later continues with "prostitutes" and "swindlers", it's very clear from the context in what he said and how he said it.

Public media has no obligation to give bigots an alleged "right" based on "free speech" so that they can mouth such a disgusting opinion, this has nothing to do with "free speech". But it's still a huge difference in having a stance, stay a dislike of homosexuals and spouting off such drivel basically implying that homosexuals are at the same level as adulterers, prostitutes, swindlers, criminals - and NOT expecting a strong response back from people.

Because...a little hint...even if (according to religions.pewforum.org...) a staggering 25% of Americans are "conservative Christians", it means an even more staggering majority of 75% IS NOT.

I fully support that A&E suspended this douche.

Addition: Oh, "Sharing your opinion has consequences?" Big surprise there! Unless you are so confused and assume that most of the people are conservative Christians. That, THANKFULLY, is not the case. So yes, you will have to anticipate consequences because you do voice, whether you are aware of it or not, an extreme opinion AND you are in the minority.
edit on 52013RuFridayAmerica/Chicago43PMFridayFriday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

No one uttered hate speech of any kind. If you think he did then you have some deep seated emotional issues.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

You know damn well this is bigger than this one example. If I offend you what are you going to do about it. Move on, deal with it, discuss your counter position, take it behind the woodshed, call me names, not like me. Fine - this is America - it was not intended that offending someone would be a punishable offense. But now if you don't like what I say, or the shirt I'm wearing you can call the authorities and guess what - they will come.

A&E can handle this how they wish but I must say I don't think LGBT was the bulk of their viewership. Dare to be offended and get over it - this too shall pass.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

Give me a freaking break!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join