It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson: The Latest Victim of the PC Police

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

I don't disagree with that. I just disagree with this man being portrayed as some sort of victim. He knew what he was doing.

I also don't think it's in anyway a free speech issue.
edit on 19-12-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

edit on 19-12-2013 by antonia because: opps

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Lingweenie
A store owner can refuse to serve anyone he wants. It's their money, and it's their property. I'd like you to go into work tomorrow, walk up to your boss/manager, and say the most vile and hurtful things to him that you possibly can. And let me know how that works out for you. Would you complain that you had freedom of speech if he fired you?

but let's just say someone refuses service to a black...how's that going to work?

In your example of telling the boss something vile...guess what? You are on company property and more than likely on company time. Whole new ballgame.

What if that same man, on his day off, said the same things? Should he be fired? I maintain that what I do (provided its legal) on my own time is my own business.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWrightWing

It's really amazing that people are making such a big deal over this. So what if what he said offends some people....then don't watch the show. Geez.

...and here's a comment I saw earlier that had me LMAO

The vagina services mankind, the anus service 'poop'.

edit on 19-12-2013 by wills120 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

No, that's how it has always happened. Social change doesn't come because one day everyone decides to be nice. It comes from mounting pressure within the society for reform.

That is a very accurate statement to make. Like it or not. Believe it or don't. Phil represents a fair portion of Americans and another aspect of that same mounting pressure. His comes from another direction, but equally within his rights to express it.

I think the shame comes in how quickly he's penalized for it by those not a direct party to where or how he said anything here. If a pro-gay position is expressed in a magazine interview and an employer outside the magazine penalizes the man who said it....is that just fine too?
edit on 19-12-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

WilsonWilson

ElohimJD

WilsonWilson
reply to post by ElohimJD

It's rubbish to say that there was only one way he could have answered the question. there isnt there are many many way he could have answered the question truthfully and within his beliefs that wouldnt have cause any fuss.
the problem is that he put homosexulaity and beastilaity too close together which allowed it to be picked up and blown out of proportion.
he phrased it badly.

He quoted scripture.

God did the phrasing, Phil believed the Word. It was not Phil's law to define as he freely wishes.

MATT 5:11
“Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake (by believing the Word)."

God Bless,

Is this a direct quote from scripture?
"Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,”
it doesnt read like a quote from scripture?

Keep reading what he said (in context) instead of stopping when you think your point has been validated.

Actual transcript:

Q: what do you consider sin?

A: “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,”

“Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

Corinthians 6:9-10
"Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God."

Was it a quote from scripture he used to define sin?

God Bless,

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I live in the south. What you described is perfectly acceptable to people here. There is currently a struggle underway regarding cultural issues. I'm not too worried about it as most younger people are not homophobes, but it's something we'll have to put up with for awhile.

But yes, legally it is fine. I think the problem here is I am arguing from that very legal "This is what it is" mindset. I'm really not getting emotionally involved. Most of the people here can't divorce how they feel from how they see the world. Truly no one can, but I do try.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ElohimJD

I dont think you know what quoate means, whic is odd because you understand paraphrase.
I dont think this would be a story if he had directly quoted scripture.
edit on 19-12-2013 by WilsonWilson because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Domo1
I think it's amusing that A&E goes out and finds some backward ass hillbillies (albeit rich hillbillies) and then get upset when they act like backward ass hillbillies. What did you expect guys? Do you really think the guy eating squirrel brains is going to be the pinnacle of political correctness? I'm all for gay rights and whatnot but I'm also anti BS. I think it's regrettable that so many people share dude's sentiments, but I also respect free speech and allowing people to express their opinions (so long as they aren't advocating violence) without punishing them.

I don't think the people that would be pissed about the comments made were watching the show anyway. A&E should have made a statement condoning the language and left it alone. Or just left it alone. I highly doubt someone is going to boycott WalMart or whoever advertises during that slot because they are loosely affiliated with a bigot.

The word Bigot could be applied the other side as he was speaking of his personal religious beliefs.

big·ot noun \ˈbi-gət\
: a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Sabreblade
A&E said, "We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty,"
So if his own personal beliefs are not reflected on the show and he has been on there since the beginning....why did they suspend him?

A possible reason is that a large part of the gay community are in the entertainment industry, this could have all kinds of possible pressure to remove a person who spoke as he did.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Darth_Prime
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Okay, but how many people say that "Liberals" should get fired for saying things, and "Liberals" have no business talking about their "Liberal" agenda, it goes both ways

how do we not know the company told him to spark some controversy for ratings? how do you not know he "sold out: to get those ratings?

personally i don't care what he said, as i stated other peoples opinions of me are none of my business, but it can't be a one sided argument

Who can blame anyone for coming down on Liberals when Liberals are so quick to demonize the rest of us for our beliefs and opinions? And in the same exact respects that they so often whine about being on the receiving end of. Trendy hypocrites, that's what they are.

I don't enjoy being called a bigot by Liberals or Atheists simply because I believe in God, the first Amendment, and the right to bear arms. If someone insults me, you can damn well bet I'm gonna retaliate.

That's fair, right?

You think this redneck's beliefs are offensive?

What if I told you that I believe everyone on Wallstreet ought to get robbed and forced to live on the streets, all their money depleted, so they're forced to realize what they put the poor through regularly. Many would say that's "too far" and "offensive."

Maybe it is, but I'm entitled to my beliefs.

That's what it comes down to.

Demonizing opinions and beliefs because they are different from a certain agenda.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
There was a soap star here in the UK, that got sacked from his job becuase he dressed up as a masked gansta and sang about stuff of a violent sexual nature.
If the big bosses dont like what you do, you're gone, it's no bigger issue than that.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Well, then I'd be equally firm to say the opposite is equally wrong. An American should not have to fear losing their job or livelihood, as the case may be, for opinions expressed outside the scope of the employment. It can be said he was interviewed strictly because he's on the show, but then, I'd say it's equal to say he's a Corporate Officer in a very unique company that happens to have a show running about it. It's not a clear A&E issue, but they MADE it their issue for political reasons. That's wrong, IMO.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It doesn't take a wealth of neurological activity to put the pieces of such a brain-buster puzzle like this together to realize that he has these opinions. It's also a no-brainer that people would find offense in them. It is, however, amusing that we also have a slowly collapsing economy at the same time lol.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

antonia
reply to post by peck420

I don't disagree with that. I just disagree with this man being portrayed as some sort of victim. He knew what he was doing.

I also don't think it's in anyway a free speech issue.

edit on 19-12-2013 by antonia because: opps

"Knew what he was doing." What, was he doing something wrong?

It IS a free speech issue, because people are flipping their $#@% because he spoke freely. I don't know how this could be clearer AS a free speech issue.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

wills120
reply to post by TheWrightWing

It's really amazing that people are making such a big deal over this. So what if what he said offends some people....then don't watch the show. Geez.

...and here's a comment I saw earlier that had me LMAO

The vagina services mankind, the anus service 'poop'.

edit on 19-12-2013 by wills120 because: (no reason given)

You just said the entire reason why they did this. And why they took it seriously.

"Don't watch the show"

No network wants people to stop watching their channel. And if one of their own employees is the result of it. Then It's no wonder why they get fired or taken off the air for a period of time. They want viewers, it's how they make their income. And if someone makes their company look bad, or ends up costing them money, someones going to hear about it. It would've just been business.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

antonia

bigfatfurrytexan

This is how it happens in the modern media age. Your freedoms are taken away via social pressure. Of course someone who publicly states something should be willing to discuss it or be criticized for it. But what he said wasn't really that bad. He just reiterated some mild religious dogma. And he was fired for it.

No, that's how it has always happened. Social change doesn't come because one day everyone decides to be nice. It comes from mounting pressure within the society for reform. You can't do anything about that. You never had the freedom to be free from social pressure. If you want that you have to leave society or you have to learn to ignore it. While I agree most of this is fake, I would once again say that you have never had the right to say what you want without consequence. The argument you are making is much like if I said "The sky is blue, that sucks, it should be pink". You can't change it, every society has experienced this. It's a fundamental part of what makes human societies work.

People smarter than you and me have written volumes on the subject. I would recommend Foucault's "Society must be defended".
edit on 19-12-2013 by antonia because: opps, wrong letter

I doubt many are smarter than you. But that aside, what Wrabbit says is true in response to this.

As well, in the past when you saw a "power" utilize social pressure for its own ends it was always governments. And that is called "fascism". In this case, it isn't a government, but rather a monolithic corporation. Power structures have changed, and they have grown new wings to shift power to. Terms like "fascism" aren't really relative in such situations. But that is essentially what it is.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

XxNightAngelusxX
It IS a free speech issue, because people are flipping their $#@% because he spoke freely. I don't know how this could be clearer AS a free speech issue.

If you mean speaking freely, you're right. This is about speaking freely. But if you mean free speech, as outlined in the Constitution, it's not.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
This guy expressed an opinion.

I don't agree with him.

But I very strongly believe he has the right to be allowed to express that opinion, without fear of persecution!

We fought wars for this .....

(if he was inciting hatred, that'd be a different matter, but my understanding is that he was not insisting everyone agree with him and persecute those who didn't? - The only hate crime here was committed by the fascist TV company and their media lackeys)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Hey. If this were an engineered push by the media, why is it that a lot of us already feel the way they're supposedly pushing? Many of us have been "liberal-minded" about social issues forever. I am not being pushed. I'm waiting for the societal mindset to get to where I am...

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

burdman30ott6
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

www.hollywoodreporter.com...

A&E has placed Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson on indefinite hiatus following anti-gay remarks he made in a recent profile in GQ.

"We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty," A&E said in a statement. "His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely."

The news comes after Robertson compared homosexuality to bestiality in an interview with the magazine.

Oh? Interesting, BUT NOT WHAT THE MAN SAID TO GQ!

www.gq.com...

“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong,” he says. “Sin becomes fine.”

What, in your mind, is sinful?

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

He's saying that homosexuality, beastiality, sleeping around, etc ARE SINS, not that they are all identical in his mind. The media are being their usual sensationalistic assholes here. They just as easily could have printed the story: "Phil Robertson compares homosexuality to a man having sex with lots of women" but that wouldn't have pissed off the liberals and pissing off the redneck nation doesn't carry nearly the same weight.

This had very little to do with "targeting gays" and everything to do with religious beliefs and traditional morality.

At what point is America going to throw their middle fingers into the air and start treating the PC police with the same disdain so many currently show towards the actual police? Hell, I'd rather be slapped around by a cop than fall victim to one of these ridiculous coordinated efforts to force compliance into the political correctness horsecrap.

(and yes, the Duck Dynasty camo caps and shwag that's wrapped and under the tree for my kids will remain under the tree until they happily open the package on Christmas morning. GLAAD can blow their calls for boycotts out their rear ends.)

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.
. He's entitled to his godamn opinion.. Who the hell watches this crap anyway? I love you the Beekman Boys and Gay U.S.A.! Now that's FABULOUS TV!

edit on 19-12-2013 by HUMBLEONE because: to add smmore shyt

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join