It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dual-core and Multiple-core mind

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Most of us are aware that modern computers run on dual-core chips and some on multi-core. Has anyone ever experienced the mind operating that way ? I mean the mind splitting into separate parts and problem solving simultaneously but independently.

I am sure that many will have had the experience. You will either recognise it or not have a clue.

It can manifest in many problem-solving situations. I can give an example below, but it is not restricted to that environment.

I taught myself Java programming a few years ago over a long weekend. After a couple of sleepless nights I had written an interesting app that ran on my Android phone. What I recall most is that I was able to play the scenarios between the many variables and constants in my mind as if I had many minds. Each "mind" holding something constant pending the outcome of another scenario and then juggling from dynamic to static.

When , after a good night's sleep, I looked at the lines of codes I had written I just could not believe that it was my work. It got me thinking how , as a child, I used to practice playing chess against myself. I know it seems crazy and it was extremely difficult to do at first. I had to learn to wipe out all my thinking when playing as white so that I could make a move with the black pieces. Then I would go back to playing white and pick up my thoughts where I left them.

Now I use the technique regularly. I am a normal person , stable, solvent and with a good career.

I think that there is very little difference between the brain and a computer chip except that the human mind can operate in many modes that we have never tried and can really move a mountain.
edit on 18-12-2013 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by crowdedskies

Multitasking,same here. Just started making .apk , workingwith adt, sdk,I only wish that i could make a fortune with my programming. Currently at work all I do is build apps in my mind, while doing one of the ten most dangerous jobs in the world. I'm always dreaming up new apps and ideas while working my arse off, it makes thedays go byfaster. Sorry my thumbs are too large for the spacebar.chess is my favorite board game aswell. What typeof apk are you making?, I'm working on a polling system that updates to html or fla.sdkis giving metrouble, but I will spend yetanotherweekend figuring it out.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

SmikeS

Multitasking,same here. Just started making .apk , workingwith adt, sdk,I only wish that i could make a fortune with my programming. Currently at work all I do is build apps in my mind, while doing one of the ten most dangerous jobs in the world. I'm always dreaming up new apps and ideas while working my arse off, it makes thedays go byfaster. Sorry my thumbs are too large for the spacebar.chess is my favorite board game aswell. What typeof apk are you making?, I'm working on a polling system that updates to html or fla.sdkis giving metrouble, but I will spend yetanotherweekend figuring it out.

Same here. I feed my mind with ideas and scenarios and work on them while doing something completely different.
Writing apps is not a major hobby. I was just experimenting and wrote a few apps which are financial in nature.
What I find useful is to have the attitude that the problem will always be figured out. I go in expecting to succeed. I am sure that is your approach too.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
The Human brain is already massively parallel processing, well beyond the abilities of simple dual core computer processors.

I suggest anyone interested take a look into Parallel Processing to understand this further.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

The Human brain is already massively parallel processing, well beyond the abilities of simple dual core computer processors.

I suggest anyone interested take a look into Parallel Processing to understand this further.

Thank you. I have never heard of it before and excited to read about it.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

You build a quick cluster with ClusterKnoppix.iso, and multiple computers, back in 02 I had five systems netwoked together , the mpi interface is cool , it has each node as apenguin gui controlled by click/draging operations to different penguins, or the penguins can work together using john, or other custom applications, finding primes etc, etc... fun little penguins. My electric bill was a little to high for that month...

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I've thought about this topic for a long time before, and it was spurred on by a story my dad told me about when he was working as a technician on an aircraft carrier in the late 70s. He hadn't gotten any sleep the night before and was going in and out of sleep as he was working on a part of a planes computer, and he started thinking about how the mind is like a set of transistor, always switching things on and off.

Now, that's of course when computers were powered by simple switch-like transitors, and only had a on/off, yes/no type of interface to work with. And that got him thinking of what people must have started thinking when they first saw automated machinery not even 100 years before that. Kinda ironic in todays eyes, like a caveman celebrating his contributions to society.

It's crazy because of how fast computers have progresed to the point of IC chips and processors and multi-cores and the whole nine yards. And now theres talk of a secret quantam internet out there, and if you wanted you could say "hey, maybe THATS how the mind works, where any bit of the information coming in will bring up the entire memory/program"

I mean on one hand, you can take a philospical lesson from every stage of technology up until now and in turn use it to predict future technology.... but on the other hand, it almost seems like our minds are being molded in a sense, it makes you wonder if theres someone out there that has crazy technology 1000's of years into the future and we are just getting it bits at a time, according to some financially and emporically inspired plan.
edit on 18-12-2013 by doesntmakesense because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
There are hypothesis in the psychological realm and in the philosophy of mind that what we perceive as our mind is actually the combination of two minds. These two minds work together to develop what we call consciousness, and work together well enough that we do not realize that we have two minds in our day to day lives. The only way we can identify two separate centers of consciousness is if we cut the cerebral commissures that connect our right and left hemispheres, and conduct specific experiments that isolate the right and left hemispheres. These experiments show that we have two centers of consciousness and not one, and are grounds for our speculation that we may have two minds instead of one. It seems this explanation may have biological justification as well as humans are formed by a unification of a sperm and egg, and this unification could also be seen as the unification of two minds.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Wang Tang
There are hypothesis in the psychological realm and in the philosophy of mind that what we perceive as our mind is actually the combination of two minds. These two minds work together to develop what we call consciousness, and work together well enough that we do not realize that we have two minds in our day to day lives. The only way we can identify two separate centers of consciousness is if we cut the cerebral commissures that connect our right and left hemispheres, and conduct specific experiments that isolate the right and left hemispheres. These experiments show that we have two centers of consciousness and not one, and are grounds for our speculation that we may have two minds instead of one. It seems this explanation may have biological justification as well as humans are formed by a unification of a sperm and egg, and this unification could also be seen as the unification of two minds.

I was thinking more about splitting the left side; like sending a team of ten people to work on a project. Each can err on the right side to enhance their contribution if they want.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   

SmikeS

You build a quick cluster with ClusterKnoppix.iso, and multiple computers, back in 02 I had five systems netwoked together , the mpi interface is cool , it has each node as apenguin gui controlled by click/draging operations to different penguins, or the penguins can work together using john, or other custom applications, finding primes etc, etc... fun little penguins. My electric bill was a little to high for that month...

Very impressive. You would need first to build all the processes and levels within your mind first and then replicate it in the computer network system.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   

doesntmakesense
I've thought about this topic for a long time before, and it was spurred on by a story my dad told me about when he was working as a technician on an aircraft carrier in the late 70s. He hadn't gotten any sleep the night before and was going in and out of sleep as he was working on a part of a planes computer, and he started thinking about how the mind is like a set of transistor, always switching things on and off.

Now, that's of course when computers were powered by simple switch-like transitors, and only had a on/off, yes/no type of interface to work with. And that got him thinking of what people must have started thinking when they first saw automated machinery not even 100 years before that. Kinda ironic in todays eyes, like a caveman celebrating his contributions to society.

It's crazy because of how fast computers have progresed to the point of IC chips and processors and multi-cores and the whole nine yards. And now theres talk of a secret quantam internet out there, and if you wanted you could say "hey, maybe THATS how the mind works, where any bit of the information coming in will bring up the entire memory/program"

I mean on one hand, you can take a philospical lesson from every stage of technology up until now and in turn use it to predict future technology.... but on the other hand, it almost seems like our minds are being molded in a sense, it makes you wonder if theres someone out there that has crazy technology 1000's of years into the future and we are just getting it bits at a time, according to some financially and emporically inspired plan.
edit on 18-12-2013 by doesntmakesense because: (no reason given)

I like the transistor comparison.

There is probably a crazy technology out there as you say and we are only getting little bits of it.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
If the Devil makes Batman sing for his...very soul.

Like from out of the blue....Death from above.

It so SOUL SHATTERING....Im going to sit back for a long time. Badman would blush.

The nut is bitter then the sweet labor of fruits.
edit on 20-12-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I myself am looking for a way to create a second consciousness down to the cellular level (read Healer by F Paul Wilson). Not sure how i could accomplish it -- mixture of chemicals? surgery? is desire enough to build him over time? is there time enough?

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Your thread caught my eye because I have been looking into this theory for a few years now, and as time goes on it seems to hold a lot of truth.

en.wikipedia.org...

I was first introduced to it through the writings of Robert anton Wilson and I think that you could essentially consider it to be a system that "interacts with itself" in the same way as multiple processors collaborate to create synergy and accomplish tasks. Though I am reluctant to see the brain as a "computer" in the mechanical sense (I think our brains are FAR more advanced than our most modern computers), the processes and mechanisms of our computers do seem to be primitive attempts to recreate our own brain..
hopefully that's helpful!

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by HyphenSt1

Thanks. Though it seems a bit complicated, I will explore the research.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I think that there is very little difference between the brain and a computer chip except that the human mind can operate in many modes that we have never tried and can really move a mountain.

Do you think people will learn how to move mountains with their minds? I don't think the human mind has enough capacity - the computations would be too rigorous. It's easier to let nature do the mountain moving because nature is already exquisitely programmed to handle it.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Your brain is the world's first Quantum Computer effectively. Every little synapse and connection made in your brain is effectively a processor. Your brain processes about 200 trillion bits of information a second.

You are only privy to about 200 thousand of those bits consciously. Our brains are perfect, what we need to do is try to figure out how to conciously access the other 90% of the data being crunched at any given moment.

Hell even getting access to 2 or 3 percent *could* be the difference between super human and regular human.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

Your brain is the world's first Quantum Computer effectively. Every little synapse and connection made in your brain is effectively a processor. Your brain processes about 200 trillion bits of information a second.

You are only privy to about 200 thousand of those bits consciously. Our brains are perfect, what we need to do is try to figure out how to conciously access the other 90% of the data being crunched at any given moment.

Hell even getting access to 2 or 3 percent *could* be the difference between super human and regular human.

~Tenth

Perhaps there is a case to stop seeing Aspergers and autistic people as victims of some mental illness. They almost certainly hold the clue to some of the unknown processes that can become standard. Just because they are a bit inept in Society (beacuse for them the social rules of engagement are false and meaningless) shoul not mean that they are not capable and normal.

A bit off topic but could be the route to unleash more brain power as well as co-operation between left and right side of the brain.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

SayonaraJupiter

Do you think people will learn how to move mountains with their minds? I don't think the human mind has enough capacity - the computations would be too rigorous. It's easier to let nature do the mountain moving because nature is already exquisitely programmed to handle it.

Perhaps not a mountain but should be possible to move a lamp post into the path of a person walking on the pavement. It might take a little practice and the consequence should not be too severe.
edit on 2-1-2014 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I'll share it anyways. I was unaware I was doing it before a friend of mine found it quite amusing and interesting. Basically, I can't do one thing at a time. I'll watch a movie (and get the plot and actors) with me while concentrating on my computer either writing, reading or gaming. Or a watch a movie while reading a book. And after each time, I can recite either story line with the actors.

It's like this no matter what I do.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join