It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot Olympics: 17 Cyborg Athletes vie for glory in Darpa challenge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This sounds pretty cool. DARPA is hosting a robot olympics of sorts.

"The competition will take place Friday and Saturday (Dec. 20-21) at the Homestead Miami Speedway in Homestead, Fla. The contest, designed to advance the field of robot technology, will test the capabilities of robotic creations from teams hailing from five different countries."

Technology is moving at a blinding pace these days, it seems, with everything from RFID chips, delivery drones, 3-D printing, and space tourism to Space tours, a Martian colony, robot animals, and more.

Will we be living side by side with robots soon? Will our reality be like that of the movie I-Robot?

What say you, ATS?

www.space.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Cool! Competition to force evolution. That's good. Maybe they should organize competitions for altruism or peace. Maybe only then will mankind truly evolve and be ready to touch the stars.

edit on 18-12-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by swanne

what do you mean by "organize?"

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

This is especially interesting since the major robotics test-bed for DARPA is being 'acquired' by Google (Google buys major military robotics maker.) Although Google will still honor existing government contracts, its got to have an effect on the direction and application of any upcoming developments in the field of autonomous mechanical devices in the future.

Good catch!

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Maxmars

This is especially interesting since the major robotics test-bed for DARPA is being 'acquired' by Google (Google buys major military robotics maker.) Although Google will still honor existing government contracts, its got to have an effect on the direction and application of any upcoming developments in the field of autonomous mechanical devices in the future.

Good catch!

Good point! Since Google isn't government owned or operated, I wonder if its move to purchase the military robotics maker is part of a "push" to bring some of these new technologies to the consumer sector...? Someone said that we are about to have a technological revolution. I don't remember who said it, but I think they are right.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Great Catch! Got to love seeing the technology. My team and I will be there with our own entry!

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

lostbook
Since Google isn't government owned or operated

Ha! It's still part of the CFR...

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

What is "the CFR?"

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Council for Foreign Relation.

en.wikipedia.org...

Its members includes Bush, major newspapers, major internet providers, major food brands, Rockefeller, Oprah, leftists, rightists. Some clues lead me to suspect that the CFR is a very real political power, perhaps even stronger than POTUS. I suspect POTUSes are given "advices" by some members of this think tank. A bit like, "We put a million of votes in your favor, so now you listen to us".

edit on 19-12-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Google bought Boston Dynamics .. which also was not government owned. So it was never government owned. This definitely seems to fit in with Google's longterm strategy.

new topics

top topics

join