It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Soy Sauce Made From Human Hair

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
"Necessity is the Mother of Invention" takes a disturbing, and some would say disgusting, twist with this news bit hitting the West: when times were tough 60 years ago, the protein in human hair was fermented to make a soy bean substitute sauce. That the 'hair sauce' is likely to be in Western markets as well, due to the gourmet home cooking trend, is a sobering thought. It raises a big question on our import standards: do we test everything for truth of content in food items like soy sauce?

mdn.mainichi.co.jp
Fears about Chinese soy sauce were sparked by a report on Chinese TV that noted local makers were using human hair to create their condiments. Japanese soy sauce makers used to use human hair, too.

"During the Pacific War (World War II), food shortages meant that the soy beans used to make sauce instead became a foodstuff and hair was gathered from barbers and used to make ersatz soy sauce," Satoshi Noguchi, the boss of Noguchi Rihatsu barbershop in Kashiwa, Chiba Prefecture, tells Asahi Geino.

Human hair makes an alternative to soybeans because it contains the amino acids that give the sauce its flavor. Some say Chinese soy sauce makers who use hair as an ingredient are posing a cancer risk because of the powerful chemicals they use to extract the amino acids from human hair. Chinese soy sauce manufacturers say they want to continue making human hair sauce because it's much cheaper than using soybeans. But outrage caused the Chinese government to ban the process, although many unscrupulous soy makers continue prowling barbershops for their economic alternative.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Knowing many Asians are strict Vegans, this must surpass the shocker that McDonalds used beef fat to fry those addictive French Fries of theirs!
Now personally, I happen to eat Asian food several times a week. This lovely tidbit has pretty much assured me that I will set aside 3 or 4 acres of my upstate property and get my sustenance farming under way !!

[edit on 19-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
That's why in Japan, stomach ulcer (SP?) is a leading cause of death.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
You would post this just after I had chinese for dinner with LOTS of soy sauce! Seriously that's gross.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
See now this is an example of mind-manipulation. Seriously. First of all on the matter of a Vegetarian issure there should be none, since the article states it uses human hair they could simply get sanitized hair from barbershops. No beef or animal killing involved.

Seoncdly, I am sure exports of soy sauce, while not very high income it is still extra income, will go down because of this. That will obviously affect Chinise economy even if only a miniscule change. With lost income it brings in slowed growth. People would literally stop buying soy sauce because of this, or at leats any from China. That in turn drives up sales for domestically produced soy sauce. And since anything produced here always costs more, that higher taxes paid out gives the country a little more extra money to spend and in turn speeds up growth, if only slightly.

The problem with that is that the people on top will only get more money, while us average folk are actually spending more both to the corporations and the government. Put that on top of it would be unlikely they hire any more people since products like this can be produced in factories by machines that only have to be maintained by few individuals. If you do this with enough products you will be able to noticeably mark the economy of said exports' nation and technically be stealing money from the working class of not only the export country but our own citizens as well. Its just like shopping for groceries, you buy the cheaper store brand because the money you save adds up since your saving on alot.

Let us assume that we buy 15 products from China that total a combined 1 billion dollars in revenue a year from the U.S. alone. If that money dissapears all of a sudden that could completely halt the plans for community growth of a whole region. However that actually gives the new manufacturers in our own country More money because of the higher cost. That also gives our government more money because of the higher taxes paid.

A commuist country tries to use that money for its citizens because it's all controlled by state. Our country will probably use it to build another B-2 or squadron of F-22 Raptors in order to "defend" against a growing Communist threat. Maybe this country would not feel so hostile if the defending nation did not steal money that could have been used to keep their citizens happy. Why would we worry about them not being able to control or maintain their citizens if that money doesnt even go to serve us.

It makes you wonder which system is more corrupt, the one that was originally created to serve the people and keep everyone equal, or one that steals from that system and uses it to keep their citizens working harder and suferring more.

Back to the topic at hand, if soy-sauce made from human hair has not killed you yet, and you have not vommited and gone comatose or even nauseas, why would it be any differn't now that you actually know what it may be made from. It just is, omg disgusting right. If the person whos hair it came from did have a disease or was dirty im sure the heat in which it is cooked in kills it or sanitizes any health threat. If it did not wouldn't you think there would have already been massive health problems reported and this culprit being determined the source of it.

If you really want to deny ignorance, you woul not let this article disgust you or change your opinion about Chinese people. I know some of you were probably subconciously thinking how disgusting they are for reportedly doing something like this.

I am glad I can recognize propoganda, information wars and brain-manipulation tactics when they are being used

-David Yepes
Tampa, Florida 33614

[edit on 11/19/2004 by DYepes]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Thanks for the news

I made chinese fried rice tonight with soy sauce. Lots of it too

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
If many Asians are strict Vegans then why is there such a huge demand on the fish market in Japan and China. Japan consumes something like 10 times more fish than the US.

I thought Vegans didnt eat fish?

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I think I am done with Chinese food now!!!

When I read the topic line, It almost made me sick.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Oh gawd, *gag* why did you have to tell us? I had chinese for dinner.

This falls into the same catagory as chicken nuggets and hot dogs, I'd have been a lot better off not knowing. lol

In light of this, how many knew that pepper can be up to 15% twigs, leaves and bug parts? Who knew that the Food and Drug Administration actually acknowledges the parts-per-gram of bug parts allowable in food products?

well, a little hair doesn't seem so bad now does it?

BG

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Man Im glad I only use ducksauce when I eat Chinese. Please dont tell me anything bad about ducksauce even if you guys find it.

ignorance can be bliss sometimes

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Man Im glad I only use ducksauce when I eat Chinese. Please dont tell me anything bad about ducksauce even if you guys find it.

Hey, here's a great episode for Fear Factor!! LOL Tonight, we eat...Chinese! Really folks, if they can eat it, odds are so can we. Chill and enjoy!

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Bout Time - where did you read about many Japanese being strict vegans?!? I`ve been living in Japan for 12 years and not once during all these years have I come across a Japanese following a vegan diet.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I could be mistaken, but this looks suspiciously like a move by Japanese soy sauce makers to defame the competition.

The article is specifically targeted toward Chinese soy souce and takes a slap at Chinese restaurants for good measure.

Then again, maybe it's true. Paging Snopes...

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahsingjai
That's why in Japan, stomach ulcer (SP?) is a leading cause of death.

As well as being the only country that medically recognizes death from overwork (No, not physical exhaustion, the poor salaryman concentrated so hard on work he simply died) and where there's a medical condition in which salesmen's facial muscles get locked into grins because they smile all day.

Stomach ulcers are serious there for the stress. Not to discount human hair soy sauce, but a huge number of Japanese salarymen suffer chronic stomach ulcers.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   
is it just me or is the media finding something wrong with entirely everything we americans eat? if not the rest of the world? if anyone feels the same way, say so.

i couldnt help but notice.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by topsecretombomb
is it just me or is the media finding something wrong with entirely everything we americans eat?

The media does not report even 1/10th of what's wrong with our food and water. ...If they did, we might demand a clean up. ...and that would be "too costly."

...not sure what I think about human hair in soy sauce, but I know there's much MUCH worse in processed food.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I suppose noone at all has anything to comment on about my response?

LL1

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I think this is so cannibalistic, there are far too
many other food sources to revert to this.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Chinese Duck Sauce (Plum)
Ingredients
1 pound plums halved and pitted
1 pound apricots halved and pitted
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
3/4 cup water
1 large finely ground cricket

1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice