It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there any areas of study that teach you how to handle complex situations, probabilities, skilset

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Are there any areas of study that teach you how to handle complex situations, probabilities, skilset
reply to post by dominicus

If you can maintain an emotional distance...ATS is a fantastic training ground for human interaction and discourse.
But nothing beats real human contact and using this as a guide....

www.ecclesia.org...

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

crowdedskies

The natural answer would be Quantum Physics. As you know banks have been recruiting graduates with Phd in Physics in the last 25 years . If you know about Derivatives then you would realise how there are so many variables that only a physicist would be able to come up with a formula that achieved the objective. It will not be long before physics is applied to situations that you mentioned.

As for myself , I have other ways of dealing with situations that have a multiplicity of variables.

edit on 18-12-2013 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

Can u share the ways you deal with "situations that have a multiplicity of variables"?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

dominicus

crowdedskies

The natural answer would be Quantum Physics. As you know banks have been recruiting graduates with Phd in Physics in the last 25 years . If you know about Derivatives then you would realise how there are so many variables that only a physicist would be able to come up with a formula that achieved the objective. It will not be long before physics is applied to situations that you mentioned.

As for myself , I have other ways of dealing with situations that have a multiplicity of variables.

Can u share the ways you deal with "situations that have a multiplicity of variables"?

I would be curious to know first of all what you think about Physics as a means of resolving those multi-variable situations involving people or things.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by crowdedskies

Bayesian inference

When it comes to human nature, however, it doesn't need to be rocket science. In fact, it doesn't even need crazy looking equations. The reason why you'll find rocket scientists in financial fields is because they are capable of thinking in terms of a multitude of variables and packaging it in a nice and neat dashboard for CEOs and CFOs because they prefer numbers. Like I said though, one doesn't need to do crazy looking equations to ascertain a probable outcome. Using an Ishikawa diagram and a comprehension of normative behavior, one can actually identify some of the variables that may affect the outcome (predicted behavior) without the use of numeric equations. It just takes identifying those related and influencing variables and oftentimes, there are key ones (instinctual/survival based) that typically (normally) have a greater weight in decision making above all others.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

Bayesian inference

When it comes to human nature, however, it doesn't need to be rocket science. In fact, it doesn't even need crazy looking equations. The reason why you'll find rocket scientists in financial fields is because they are capable of thinking in terms of a multitude of variables and packaging it in a nice and neat dashboard for CEOs and CFOs because they prefer numbers. Like I said though, one doesn't need to do crazy looking equations to ascertain a probable outcome. Using an Ishikawa diagram and a comprehension of normative behavior, one can actually identify some of the variables that may affect the outcome (predicted behavior) without the use of numeric equations. It just takes identifying those related and influencing variables and oftentimes, there are key ones (instinctual/survival based) that typically (normally) have a greater weight in decision making above all others.

There are horses for courses. It depends on your leaning.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

That was my implication as to why a specific type of individual was used in a specific field that requires quantifiable results/outcomes/projections that can satisfy shareholders for a specific rationale in decision making. Most people don't need to have it down to a numeric value at a preset confidence level; therefore, it doesn't need to be overly complicated with long formulas.

The OP is looking for a way for the average person to be able to do something similar. The average person is going to simply run screaming after one look at something like Bayesian inference. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to make that prediction either but an awareness of what constitutes the average human being.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

crowdedskies

dominicus

crowdedskies

I would be curious to know first of all what you think about Physics as a means of resolving those multi-variable situations involving people or things.

Our knowledge of physics is ever evolving. Its a combo of structure and chaos, and yet existence somehow manages, doesn't it.

So to apply the rules of physics to life itself and our relationships to all of it...could be brilliant, but I just can't currently fathom how you would do it.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
You could always do something different and Live in the Now Idea. Since there are really No Problems to begin with anyway if one deals with the Now aspect and not going into tomorrow with the so-called problem and creating one later.

In life there are overdogs and underdogs, yet your life has nothing to do with them except they are there. You learn from both, now the trick is just using the moment and not carry it into tomorrow! So you have a good day or bad, it does not matter really, it was just that day and should not be carried forward.

In order to even consider what your idea's on how to do this one would have to be in every walk of Life with people in different worlds or should say different side of various track! Poor side of town, mid-class, and upper class and even go visit the tent city's in town.

You could go play all the games you want or read any books out there, still would not even come close since each class of people live by different rules and styles. Your caught into a trap set by people playing a game that their is no real answere to it all.

You would be better off spending some time with yourself and find out Who You Are and stick to that! Then you can Just be Yourself and be Happy with it! Since the whole world could Love you, yet if you do not Love yourself it would not matter anyways!

We are told to be connected to people, only we leave out the most important thing, Ourselves! The reason people have so many friends is because it keeps them from looking at themselves. Only the world will flash back at you Yourself anyway by using people to get your attention so might as well drop the books and get to work.

Ask yourself Why this person is liked/don't like and see if it has something to do with you. As for problems, so far as I know their is no problems unless you actually make it into one.

Now if you like to read, try reading I come as a brother by, Bartholomew. This book will strip down your core and shed some life into your Being. Nothing like a good Wake Up Call! It takes you from being Inside a Box to expanding oneself outside the box.

Hope this helps!

Peace

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by infoseeker26754

Sounds exactly like the tripe that was dished out in the tumultuous 60's and 70's called EST. "The problem isn't what's going on in the world. The problem is YOU."

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

That was my implication as to why a specific type of individual was used in a specific field that requires quantifiable results/outcomes/projections that can satisfy shareholders for a specific rationale in decision making. Most people don't need to have it down to a numeric value at a preset confidence level; therefore, it doesn't need to be overly complicated with long formulas.

The OP is looking for a way for the average person to be able to do something similar. The average person is going to simply run screaming after one look at something like Bayesian inference. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to make that prediction either but an awareness of what constitutes the average human being.

I don't disagree with you. When I suggested Quantum Physics, I also stated that I have my own ways of dealing with situations (which is not physics)

I just feel that it is important to remind ourselves that we are always thinking in numbers (even Mr Average) and we use laws of statistics and Economics all the time.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Since you authored this thread back in February:
The Ultimate Enlightenment "How To" Thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...
I am confused as to the point of this one.
It would seem you already believe you have all the answers, and are jerking our chain?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Employ the lost art of The Trivium. It should be the beginning of education in general.

edit on 18-12-2013 by TheSubversiveOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

nugget1

Since you authored this thread back in February:
The Ultimate Enlightenment "How To" Thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...
I am confused as to the point of this one.
It would seem you already believe you have all the answers, and are jerking our chain?

I'm glad you brought that up.

My own path is still ever expanding and multi-dimensional. Sitting in the Oneness, there is nothing to do and No-One to do it...everything is fine.

But sometimes, you have to be the doer, instigator, make-it-happen'er. In that instance, I am still working out the inclinations and intuition that comes with Oneness and it isn't always clear. For example sometimes there is a movement in Oneness, sometimes the emotional center of the heart, other times the subconscious, and yet others the intellect.

Enlightenment is Life-Long growth of experiences, insights, completion, dissolving. There are so many dimension to it. For example, just recently, a certain part of myself just finally learned, to accept itself and Be. There are subconscious qualities, soul, intelligence, emotional intelligence, intuition, gut instincts. These are all parts of the whole, and each one is required to be tuned like a string on a guitar, so that all together they are in harmony.

That's where I am at now. Finding harmony amongst all the different parts, and there is still quite the tweaking to get there.

My whole purpose for this post, is because I intuitively sensed, that there is actually a sweet spot of living life so that each part is in tune with the whole. However what I'm seeing right now is too complex even for my own understanding. It has to do with intuition being in tune with logic, intellect, emotion, theory, sense, probabilties, math, statistics, all rolled into One giant complicated monster.

However, I'm seeing that this can all somehow be simplified and taught. I know I'm on to something, but can't quite put my finger on it yet

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Hello there OP.

I second the recommendation of game theory (en.wikipedia.org...). It is a critical skill for any competent management position as it can adapt extremely well to accommodate a variety of mathematical models (with proper limits).

Calculus . . . learn calculus! Vector calculus (ie Calc 3 aka Multivariate Calculus) can be challenging however I don't know how anyone properly creates mathematical models without it.

Did I mention game theory and vector calculus?

LEARN TO WRITE COMPUTER CODE! rudimentary coding skills in python or java language will allow you to create models in MATLAB which will make all your game theory and vector calculus orders of magnitude more simple.

You can seriously learn to code python or java in just a few months and know it well enough to rig some models together in MATLAB (MATLAB does all the heavy lifting for the math).

Specifically what you are asking for sounds very much like game theory with an application of differential equations (calc 2).

BEST WISHES OP! I really hope you give it an honest shot and don't quit when it gets difficult ( believe me it will).

-FBB

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

There are many brances which deal with such things, especially in psychology. Most self-help books handle these "life philosophies". What comes to mind at first would be the Dale Carnegie classics. Although generally that field tends to have lots of bubble and common-sense at high costs.

From personal experience, what taught me the most on handling different people was working at sales for a while. From persuasion to reading people, these skills improved a lot during the few months I did the job.

This gave me the interest of psychology, so I decided to get another degree. Having technical one beforehand, I did not believe there was much risk to whether a bad choice or not, as the worst that could happen was losing time (higher education is free of charge here). At the end I am happy I took the decision. Human beings tend to be extremely irrational "creatures". Every single one of us is thinking differently and to be honest, there is no universal solution, which fits everybody.

This can lead to lots of labelling if not handled well, although what I can personally suggest, is learning MBTI - Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. It is just a personality assessment tests, which has 16 different types of personalities. Of course this is not perfect, at the end there are millions of different people, although generally most people tend to be be in certain category a´la extravert/introverty, emotion-based decions/analytical etc. If you understand which category the person is at, you can change your approach to the situation accordingly, tailor the needs. The more you know about the person, the easier it is.

Different sales techniques and persuasion are also good ways to understand human mind better. From books, I personally would suggest Cialdini-Influence, which is more scientific approach than others, which have lots of bubble also in them.

And of course learning general psychology, how mind works. If you understand how the mind works for majority of people, it makes it easier to apply it in situations.

Finally, experience. For some people this is natural, some need more experience with different situations. Experience takes more time, but at the end it is the most universal of these methods, especially when analyses the situations laterwards.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I believe this is what you are looking for mate.

en.wikipedia.org...

The book of five rings

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

dominicus

crowdedskies

dominicus

crowdedskies

Our knowledge of physics is ever evolving. Its a combo of structure and chaos, and yet existence somehow manages, doesn't it.

So to apply the rules of physics to life itself and our relationships to all of it...could be brilliant, but I just can't currently fathom how you would do it.

My view is that life and relationships correlates with the principles of Physics . As you know , hundreds of years ago a scholar was one who studied just about everything under one umbrella. Sadly a time came when there was a division ; Chemistry branched out, Mathematics branched out , so did biology , etc and all became separate unconnected diciplines. Yet physics was the oldest and encompassed all of them.

A wikipedia definition of physics : " is the natural science that involves the study of matter and its motion through space and time, along with related concepts such as energy and force"

Now if you are scientific, physics will give you an understanding of the Universe. If , on the other hand, you are the spiritual type then qabalah is for you. Both study the same things : Force and Form.

Though physics is unfathomable for the average person, there is no lack of teaching. Yet millions will flock towards New Age ideas instead of getting book in elementary physics which is closer to their mundane life.

I assume that most people are scientifically orientated. I am not , which is why I chose the other path.

My point is that a grounding in either will open up the mind and open the eyes to all correlations. Solutions then come automatically.

edit on 19-12-2013 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2013 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
imho, some of you, together, could coauthor books/movies/musics/games with thought provoking stories/messages/teachings

For example there is one book (i found) that is quite interesting and unique, drawing on right side of the brain. It got nothing to do with philosophy etc.

let me know if any of u guys ever plan to do one, i'll be your first fan

peace.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Critical Thinking

It provides a solid basis for all possible ways of addressing reality in an effective manner.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   

IMHO, it sounds as if you are looking for an education in Psychology. If you haven't already, check out C. Jung's work involving the Shadow and apply it to your previous experiences with self realization.

I've personally shifted focus on my studies away from engineering to Psychology as of late. Of course, taken with healthy doses of what my intuition tells me. Not unlike Dr. Jung at all.

*** Edit to add: Sorry, missed the post where you broke down the system you are searching for and what it consisted of, i.e. mathematics, etc.

Since nothing is really separate from anything else in a sense, there probably is a synthesis of everything that fits your description. Maybe this is the elusive 'unified field theory' that we always hear about?
edit on 23-12-2013 by southofheaven because: Jumped the gun

top topics

<< 1   >>

join