It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you like your Senator, You can keep your Senator

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The upcoming 2014 elections should be interesting. Personally I'm really hoping to see all those who supported the "If you like your healthcare..." lie get what they deserve for supporting the lie of the year. Hope they're losing sleep over this.

WaPo: ‘Every Democrat Should Be Scared’ of this Obamacare Ad

The ad begins with footage of Shaheen on the Senate floor echoing President Obama by saying, “if you like your insurance you can keep it.” An overlay graphic points out that Obama was given the “Lie of the Year” award from a fact-checking group for that whopper.

The ad ends with a zinger sign-off: “Next November, if you like your senator, you can keep her. If not, you know what to do.”

Chris Cillizza, the Washington Post’s top political blogger conclusion: “You have a very scary situation for Shaheen — and any other Democrat, which is almost all of them, on the record supporting the ACA. Get used to this ad. You are going to see it thousands of times — in various forms — before 2014 is over.”

Not that the republicans have clean hands with this overall mess we're in but the democrats own the obamacare fiasco. Hopefully those chickens will come home to roost.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Oh Oh....If Obama has said this, we may be in a little trouble.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
*Note to Nancy Pelosi....You passed the Bill without reading it.

The fog you talked about has completely cleared.

Turns out you guys are liars. How do you keep getting elected?

This woman is a disgrace....

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Maybe while they're so busy passing things they could pass a bill that says you can't pass a bill unless you personally read and understand it?

Too much?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I listened to CSPAN radio this morning (like every morning) and one of their segments for callers to call up and talk was to discuss if the callers liked their Congressmen. The gist of each call went something like this: "I like my Congressman, but everyone else is crap." So while me may see some turnover in Congress, I'd be willing to bet that it isn't as widespread as we all hope it should be. Most people are still stuck in the mentality that it's not THEIR guy that is the problem, but everyone else.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

whyamIhere
*Note to Nancy Pelosi....You passed the Bill without reading it.

The fog you talked about has completely cleared.

Turns out you guys are liars. How do you keep getting elected?

This woman is a disgrace....

How do these scum bag liars keep getting elected...........Many people have bought into the lie that is the progressive mindset. It is hip to be anti-conservative. Problem with that is unless you are conservative minded life will be an epic failure. Being progressive is the path to ruin. If you let it into your house it will lead to apathy and fear.

And don't get me wrong yes there are liberal minded successful people but they are few and far between in the real world outside of entertainment and sports.

If you are not a liberal by the time you are 20 you have no heart.......If you are not a conservative by the time you are 30 you have no brains. Look at all of the older liberals and tell me what life looks like around them. They are intolerant,fearful,apathetic and worse of all want to control others life more then their owns.
edit on 18-12-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Yep. There was a post here that discussed the polls in regards to Congressional approval and the original poll set actually indicated that exactly. Those asked within the poll did not approve of Congress overall but their various elected officials did have much higher approval ratings than Congress overall. Definitely indicated the "it's not my guy that's the problem, it's the rest of them" thinking. That's really bad as if we really are going to have any improvements, then it is through Congress that it must happen. Congress is our legislative body. No change in Congress = no change anywhere.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Yea. What I heard on the radio this morning didn't surprise me in the slightest. People need to detach themselves from their political bubbles and realize that YES their guy is part of the problem too. So basically, what will happen after 2014 is that the majority of Congress will remain in their seats and the American public will spend another 2 years complaining that Congress is ineffective and wondering why that is. The fault rests at you, the American people's, feet.
edit on 18-12-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

No way my brother, I am going to vote against anyone who is there and up for reelection. Nobody gets to stay. None. We seriously need real change.

A. Strong third party that only mandate is to make the other two work together. There would be no more partisan politics then.

B. Term limits. We must have this and will take amendment to constitution. No more career politicians.

C. We should also make change so popular vote elects president. Founders did not mean for this out of control electoral college, especially with all the manipulation. Time to get rid of it and let the people elect the president.

D. Constitutional campaign finance changes. This needs to be set in stone so the supreme court has to stay out of it. Their ruling that allows anyone and everyone to give insane amounts to pacs is absolutely insane.

This is a very good start to change that will actually make a difference. We should all push our representatives for this.

The Bot

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

I like all your ideas except the popular vote. My state has just over 6 million people. California and New York alone have around 56 million. With their track record (Gov Brown, mayor Bloomberg, etc) the idea of being completely overwhelmed by them doesn't seem a good idea to me.

It's bad enough now when just those 2 states outnumber our electoral votes 5 to 1. With a popular vote it would be 10 to 1.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

I'd like to add an E. to your list. Tie Congressional paychecks to the budget. If the government runs a deficit, have the money that is over budget come out of Congressmen's paychecks until they fix it. I guarantee that we'd never run a deficit again, except in times of extreme need.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This is the message we must convey to everybody.

If you are in office now....You are the problem.

Nobody is safe....And Yes, your guy is the problem.

This should be a complete removal of Congress.

We can't agree on much. We should be able to agree on that.

Also Term Limits, there seems to be some agreement there.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I'm not really seeing how that's going to hurt them. The ACA was passed before the 2010 elections. Most of those people survived then. If you can survive 2010 it's going to be hard to move your butt out of there.

I don't think we will see much change barring some of them say egregiously stupid crap akin to "legit rape" or such.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Interesting indeed, as we know that the ACA has become the bastard child of the party in power and that will change the chances of those that are under the party in positions of power of been re elected, they should be scare alright, because the damage is already done.

I can not wait to see the results.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Speaking of Obamacare and the "if you like your senator", Im sure this would be, "if you like your morgage you can keep it too" if he gets this through. But it would be terrible if morgages were no longer as low as can be arranged, but determined like the medicare, according to income, with middle class paying for all the poor....

www.americanprogress.org...

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I agree California could hurt you, but looking across America what you think is a population advantage totally disappears. That is why the popular vote works. We see that the college does not work and can be manipulated.

When someone who can become president after someone else wins the popular vote that is wrong and not what was intended by the founders.

I would agree with making them accountable with their salaries. I think they should not be allowed to vote for their own salaries. We should vote for that.

Look they don't need pacs and a bunch of commercials. Have two to four debates, two televised and two radio. Limit to two full page ads and the rest town hall meetings or just get on stump. That is all that is needed to elect any position.

As for salary, if I had my way there would be none. When this country started they were not paid. I think they should get minimum wage and try and serve on that. It would be like those millionaire on TV trying to live on it while they live in community. They get humble very quickly and it changes most of their minds and hearts for ever.

Fact is just changing term limits will change things dramatically.

As for health care, well pretty sick of hearing about this now. It is over. Fact is we are at the bottom in the world regarding healthcare, in every regard. We have the best country in the world but we can't provide healthcare for all our citizens. Look at all the civilized nations who do, almost all of them. We are literally just about the only industrialized country who does not provide health care. Nuff said there.

The Bot

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Obama said, "If I had health care it might look like this."

He also said, "If you like you wife you can keep her. Because I am stuck with mine."

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

The other argument I would give for the popular vote is this: Who cares if all the people are in Cali? If more people want the guy then more people want him. i really don't care what state they are in. To think it's fair to impose your will because there are less people in your state is just silly. We should just have a national popular vote not tied to any particular state- One person really would equal one vote. That's what everyone else does, so get with the times people.

As for the pay issue, I don't agree with it. If they are expected to be there year-round then there has to be compensation for it. Before this era congressmen didn't stay in washington year round and could work in addition to being in congress. I don't think it needs to be extreme though.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

Fact is we are at the bottom in the world regarding healthcare, in every regard. We have the best country in the world but we can't provide healthcare for all our citizens.

Actually we come in at 15th for expenditure and 37th overall, which is absolutely pathetic considering many countries in the southern EU (Italy, Greece, Spain) are in economic shambles and they still beat us.

I really wish that obamacare was the answer but it's going to just make it worse. Big payoff for the insurance companies basically.

Hopefully these ads actually get people angry enough to vote the SOB's out of office and then get this legislation overturned. I agree all citizens should have access to healthcare, would be much better than spending on the war machine.

top topics

join