It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2014

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
muzzy, since you're such a wizmo with geonet, could you tell us what is going on at Taupo? Is there an increase in seismicity there recently? There seems to be, but I don't watch it enough to really know. I'd hate to hear that beast is awakening. Also, you guys had a couple of 5+'s off the north coast I see. Whenever you get a minute away from graph heaven, please.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican
There was a bit of a disturbance north of the lake on the 14th, then nothing since, I didn't do yesterdays map, I'll have a look, its 3:20am, just been woken by a M5.5 earthquake to the east of us, shook the house pretty good. Today will be a loooooooooooong day.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

Yes, saw it come in on real time, and thought of you with my fingers crossed while I was responding in the Rainier thread. Hope all is ok.
Man, USGS is totally sucking lately, taking FOREVER to post quakes. I want my tax dollars back!

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
and following post by: muzzy
Nothing showing at Taupo last 3 days now I have processed the data, the 14th was it. Was some activity down the south end after that, but generally nothing too bad, both are active areas overall.
The northern area is a hot geothermal spot, where they have the geothermal power stations, similar to The Geysers north of San Francisco, they get a swarm there every now and again. I have a blog reader who lives in that area, he usually lets me know if things are getting "hot", haven't heard from him for quite a while, so must be normal.
The southern spot is where they think Taupo last blew up from, there are vents under the water there, still blowing out bubbles.
for those that don't visit regularly, here is the monthly cumulative map (for Sept) zoomed into Taupo, this is 22 days worth of quakes. I update it every time I do a daily map post, which lately is about every 2-3 days, mainly due to the Bardarbunga-Holuhraun "crisis" and work commitments.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

no damage here, geonet gave me a "light" for my felt report, felt more like a moderate to me, and definitely a 5 before I even looked to see on the Internet.
about 90km to the NE of me, and just 10km NE of where the Eketahuna 6.2 was in January, there have been thousands of aftershocks since then, the whole area is a collapsing graben, this may be a reaction to that collapse, as it is in the hills on the east side. At first I thought it was a subduction quake, before I looked at the map, due to the address Geonet gave it "15 km west of Pongaroa" which is on the east coast.
edit on 0900000026426414 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
back at Bardarbunga-Holuhraun

do these two web cam images show the fissure splitting into two seperate cones/vents?
right click "view image" for bigger image
(I wish I had gone full screen for these, only noticed it later)

maybe that front one is the separate round vent seen in that last u-tude flyover, but it seems further away from the main vent than in the vid
edit on 0900000026526514 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Camera 2 is being rotated around, there is long line of vents visible, but the picture quality was really bad.

Activity in Bardarbunga remains high, there was also short quake swarm in Katla, when about 10 quakes hit the caldera between 06-12 GMT, strongest being 2.7 magnitude. They were all very shallow. There has also been some quakes in Tjörnes Fracture Zone area.

4.5 magnitude quake just hit Bardarbunga caldera in depth of 6,2 km.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thebel
Camera 2 is being rotated around, there is long line of vents visible, but the picture quality was really bad.

I don't believe those are a "long line of vents." They are a "long line of steam coming from flowing lava interacting with river water." But I could be wrong.

Nah, I'm not wrong. Been keeping up with this, and that's exactly what that is.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Aww, too bad, just when I gotta go to work, we're getting some rapid-fire, back to back, quake swarmin' going on at Long Valley. Yep, they keep on comin. Check USGS and see.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Bardarbunga-Holuhraun

I was just watching the steam rising from the lava hitting the Jökulsá á Fjöllum river below Vadalda (web cameras site) as web cam2 panned back and forth and seen a mountain on the left side that I hadn't noticed before, checking the map shows it is likely Kverkhnjukaskara (thats a mouthful) and over on the right is Bardarbunga which I hadn't actually seen before either as the camera tended to be tilted down more.

so I made a panorama of the whole sweep west to east
I'll probably use these images in my intro to the web cam pages on my blog, lots of people won't know what they are looking at if they haven't been following from the start of this.

right click "view image" to read the writing

there is a full size "clean" version here 3978px wide and 1.35MB (big)
too bad its not clearer
edit on 09u26526514 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

from today the times marked on each web cam image will change from "ddmmyyyy hh:mm:ss" to "ddmmyyyy hhmmss"
it just takes too much finger work to put those :'s in there (having to use the shift key)

just got those in time, the camera quality has deteriorated very quickly when the sun went down

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
awful lot of volcano activity these days especially with the ring of fire volcanoes. Mayon is being worrisome. seems to have calmed some but apparently it does that before erupting. and it has a growing protrusion on it which is not a good sign. possibility of erupting any day.

MANILA, Philippines - A major eruption of the Mayon Volcano is still possible despite a decrease in the recorded number of earthquakes and rockfalls, a state volcanologist warned residents of Albay province.

Ed Laguerta of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said in a state news report on Monday that the crater of the volcano, known for its "perfect cone," may only be clogged.

"There is still the threat of a big eruption," Laguerta said.

He said the Mayon's lava dome, a mound or protrusion on the volcano, has been continuously increasing despite the apparent lull.

Phivolcs' seismic instrument noted two volcanic earthquakes and 14 rockfall events linked to the rising magma toward the crater over the weekend.

Thousands of residents within the 8-kilometer radius of the active volcano have been ordered evacuated by the local government.
www.philstar.com...

Although Mayon Volcano had released less steam Monday, it still may erupt any time, according to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs).

Based on Phivolcs' tally as of Monday, there were 17 observed rock fall events, 1,048 tons of sulfur dioxide recorded, and no volcanic quakes.

Delivery and installation of tents to Albay also began Monday, according to a report on GMA News' "Unang Balita" on Tuesday. The tents will serve as temporary classrooms for students. Classes will resume once the installations are complete.

So far, 150 tents from UNICEF have arrived, with a thousand more expected.
www.gmanetwork.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Wow, again???!!! I got volcanoes popping up on my ipad left & right over here....this happened the other night also, & I came here to ask the experts WTH is going on?????

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: j.r.c.b.

Wish I had an answer for what is going on....

Question though, what alert system are you using on the iPad?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
what doodle asked.........
what is the source (feed) your app is getting the info from.
I'm not aware that suddenly a whole bunch of volcanos have started erupting all at once
maybe those you refer to are just updates on ones that already were
eg like Erubus in Antarctica is always erupting

edit on 0900000026626614 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

this is the goto page for current eruptions
www.volcanodiscovery.com...

I see 35 with the red box beside them

Of course this will have no effect on Climate Change ............... its us thats doing it ............... yeah right
edit on 09u26626614 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

edit on 09u26626614 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Its just called PDC Disaster Alert. The only ever time the volcanoes were going off like this was just the other day. Since I've had my ipad for 2 years, I don't remember the Volcano Alerts, alerting so much, & only 2 days apart.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzy
what doodle asked.........
what is the source (feed) your app is getting the info from.
I'm not aware that suddenly a whole bunch of volcanos have started erupting all at once
maybe those you refer to are just updates on ones that already were
eg like Erubus in Antarctica is [u[always erupting

I see 35 with the red box beside them

Of course this will have no effect on Climate Change ............... its us thats doing it ............... yeah right

I think your right. It looks like they seem to bring up a mass of updates at the same time. The original eruptions occurred approx. 4 years ago. It said that above the recent report.....

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

simple answer Heat Energy from the Core,,
is being transfered,
too the Mantel.

Question is,,what regulates the Core temprature,,ELF waves maybe,
,or is it part of this Galaxys Cosmic clock,,
too "turn up the heat",,occationally.?

edit on 9/24/2014 by BobAthome because: visuals

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

BUT be very aware that they DO NOT update regularly and the status of many volcanoes remains as erupting when it is NOT. (They exist to SELL vacations and volcanoes NOT erupting is not good for business)

I know this because I track down erupting volcanoes (and let's be clear here by erupting I mean a significant output) every week and the average number of volcanoes erupting in any week is 6 plus the 16/17 that are always erupting.

See the Geophysical reports link in my signature for reasonably up to date information on erupting volcanoes. Some weeks it gets missed as it takes nearly two part days, or a very long full day, to examine and update everything

I am way behind at present but here is the data from the end of August (Click for larger images)

edit on 25/9/2014 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

Go to the Quake Watch thread and look at the recent post by Phoenix. A weaker Sun causes more radiation induced heat in the Earth's core. The Sun is weak at present.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   

hraun.vedur.is...

Anyone able to explain the sudden thickness on this graph? You can see verticle lines pick up eq's from bardarbunga as the 4's and 5 is there with time. I've never seen it get like this whilst watching bardarbunga but don't quite understand strain.

new topics

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join