It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2014

page: 48
<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21

maybe not like Laki with the ash, but as far as lava goes............... big

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

I did a map of the whole 6424 earthquakes ..... its a MONSTER!!!
(1,427px × 1,516px) and about 2MB, so be prepared
I didn't make an interactive one, it would probably have been 10MB or bigger and computers would stall.....

direct link to image

or you can have a quick preview look on the page I did here

remember you seen it first and exclusively on Volcano Watch 2014

not at the VCafe

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
HI all

Are we seeing new venting/fissures further back?
Comparison:

9-13-2014

Tonight

M.
edit on 19-9-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Moshpet

I'm pretty sure its fog rolling in, cutting across the plume
latest images show it lower now

*edit about half an hour later.
yep plume is gone all together now, and web cam 2 is totally greyed out
edit on 0900000026226214 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Ok, I suppose it was just the fog.
Drat.

M.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
This is a fun diversion from Bardarbunga, for a few minutes.

Yesterday's weekly update from the Cascades Volcano Observatory contained the following:

Recent Observations:
A short 10-minute-long burst of small deep (~10 km, or ~6 miles) low-frequency events occurred at Newberry on the evening of September 17th this week, similar to another short-lived sequence that occurred at Newberry on 07/31.
Such events occur on occasion at most monitored Cascade volcanoes, particularly Mounts Baker, Rainier, and Hood, and although unusual, are considered to be part of normal background seismic activity at these volcanoes.

I found the events beginning at 05:54 UTC on the 18th, which would have been 10:54 p.m. Pacific time on the 17th September. Here are the two spectrogram images, showing the low-frequency events:

(click images for larger version)

image 1 and image 2

Low frequency quakes (notice the absence of signals higher than approximately 10 Hz) are also known as long period quakes, or LP's.

Volcanically-caused long period earthquakes are produced by vibrations generated by the movement of magma or other fluids within the volcano.
From pnsn.org

This is an image of the events on a nearby webicorder--SVIC.CC..EHZ
(long coda for such tiny magnitudes)(click image to see the right-hand side)

Finally, 3 quakes made it to the USGS map:

I think it's cool to see a tiny sign of life from one of the other Cascade volcanoes.
edit on 9/20/2014 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

ETA:
It looks like something may be building at Bardarbunga at the moment. source

edit on 9/20/2014 by Olivine because: bardy update

edit on 9/20/2014 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I upgraded to ios8 and currently only have my iPad to operate from. Mila is not supporting ios8! Keep the photos coming please. I feel like I am missing all the action!

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
its ratteling 3 to 5 ers last hour.... at bardarbunga :-(
final countdouwn for the big bang has started?
edit on 20-9-2014 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815
This is a still from Kverkfjoll (looking NW toward the Holuhraun eruption) from 14 minutes ago.

And here is the current view from Mila 1:

edit on 9/20/2014 by Olivine because: add an image

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Thank you, thank you!

Please note - when only one piece of technology is available for use, and it is working properly, don't update the piece of junk. Updating should come with a caution label suggesting that it may cause serious regret!

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I just seen web cam 2 do a pan left to right

thats the first time I have seen it move since I started watching on 31st August!
I took a series of screen shots

all of the screenshots I took on 20/09 will be published in a few hours @ bardarbunga-eruption-web-cams
Its all I could get over that 31stAug-present period, been quite afew days the cams have been offline, and the last few days the weather was crap.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
About right now (dusk) the red/orange colour of the lava eruption comes into the pictures
edit on 09u26226214 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

nice So2 sunset!

lava at fissure now visible

edit on 09u26226214 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
i believe we have an increase in the amount of lava,,overflowing the lip?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome
those scoria/cinder cones must be getting pretty big by now, they have even been given names en.vedur.is...
one would expect that if the cones are 60m high then it will take quite a bit more lava to make it spill over the edges
the lava flow across Holuhraun is quite visible at this time of day/night

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
further to post by: muzzy
30 Mila web cam screenshots published for 20.09.2014

* and I emptied the spa pool, cleaned it, refilled it, vacuumed the house, washed the tiled floors and 3 loads of laundry washed and hung out as well!

edit on 0900000026226214 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Stunning, just stunning video. How many of you would be just a little nervous flying above all this especially when the get close to the raging beast gyrating. You can hear the excitement & nervous laughter.

edit on 20-9-2014 by SeekingDepth because: trying to fix link

edit on 20-9-2014 by SeekingDepth because: OK fixed it

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ressiv
Yes there were quite a few M3's at Bardarbunga cone, and also some very shallow M1's, in the range of only 100m to 300m deep, located on both the outside of the north rim and on the south rim of the Caldera. (see latitude graph on bottom link)
Nothing from the IMO (Icelandic Met Office) and IES (Institute of Earth Sciences) overnight IST, but I wouldn't be surprised if they come out in the next few days and say the Caldera floor has subsided quite a bit more.
Lighter earthquake activity out on the eruption feild yesterday.
On the longitudal (West-East)cross sectional graph below -16.90 Long is the edge of the Dyngjujokull glacier, to the right is the Holuhraun lava feild and the eruption location

right click "view image" for larger version

Bardarbunga 20.09.2014
edit on 09u26326314 by muzzy because: edited after completing lattitude cross section graph showing different locations of those shallow less than 300m earthquakes at the Bundy Caldera

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: SeekingDepth

awesome vid, really shows the scale of things better than the web cams

they don't call it the Holuhraun "lava feild" for nothing!
near the end that spill over the side is great, lucky timing they were right there.
You can see why it looks so subdued during the day, the sides of the new cones hide a lot of the lava

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
BB still checking in this morning (for Me)

baering.github.io...

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
It boggles my mind that the Barda caldera is not at least steaming yet, with all that melt water from the ice. But that's assuming there IS melting taking place under that cork. What if there isn't, and the last vestiges of magma were emptied from its chamber long ago?

I am starting to wonder if this is some kind of rifting event instead, given the fact that the Barda caldera is sitting directly over the mid Atlantic ridge. It might perhaps explain the large earthquakes, which appear to be more of a tectonic nature rather than volcanic. Just had another 5.5 (IMO), making that the second largest after the 5.7. It just took ONE that size to uncork St. Helens back in 1980, and yet here this caldera has had 20 times that- and nothing.

Doesn't that seem strange? If there were any magma under there to speak of, by now we'd at least be seeing steam, me thinks. Maybe I was more on point with my original thoughts on this- that we may be witnessing the burial of a volcano, that really died a long time ago. All the solidified passage ways would block any new magma entry, and perhaps that's why this new, deep-source magma had to find a route elsewhere and ended up in a fissure eruption outside the glacier.

new topics

top topics

<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join