It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2014

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I did some longitude cross sections, at critical times along the way
16th Aug, the start of the seismicity
29th Aug, the day of the first small eruption
13th Sept, today

now to fill in the gaps ..............
some direct page links on ATS may be lost, as I am changing the name of each post from Bargarbunga to Bardarbunga, which appears is the most commonly used spelling, it may make a difference in the future for people searching for this event.

early morning blue colour on cam1 right now, just like yesterday
edit on 09u25625614 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Jon Frimann has released an updated blogg today , which paints a potentially bleak outcome if Bardarbunga's caldera does completely collapse.

I understand he is a fairly well respected individual in vulcanism?

www.jonfr.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
The subsidence is about 50 cm a day in the last two days.
Add this link to your favorites, real time monitoring of the subsidence of the Bardarbunga caldera.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: logicalview
Jon Frimann has released an updated blogg today , which paints a potentially bleak outcome if Bardarbunga's caldera does completely collapse.

www.jonfr.com...

He isn't professional, but he is often right in his "predictions". He knows a lot from volcanism in Iceland.

Magnitude 5.3 earthquake, 5.8 km ENE from Bárðarbunga, 3.0km deep. Camera 2 is useless, but Camera 1 shows impressive smoke column.

Is that car next to "R2D2"? If it is, then "R2D2" is bigger than I thought.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
another 5.3...on the caldera rim? ....:-(
tik tik tik.......
edit on 14-9-2014 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Thebel

Yea that car's a lot closer, looks like an observatory to me.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
1 min clip from a drone 100ft up by the Holuhraun Eruption

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
looks like web cam 2 has been repositioned, so it must be a separate camera!, not just a zoom in from the same cam 1.
the horizon is lower and seems zoomed back to a similar level as cam 1, but from a different angle

quite clear views right now
I like it, no more fuzzy cam2 pics!

mila cam 2 new
mila cam 1

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
No News by Moshpet???

Interesting developments shown by the Lattitude Depth graph for yesterday. See Below

Daily status report 14. September 2014 - compiled by IMO (Icelandic Met Office) and IES (Institute of Earth Sciences)
The eruptive activity at Holuhraun continues at similar intensity. The lava flows at slower rates than it did yesterday.The lava is now spreading more to the sides and there is less visible activity in the eruptive craters.
The subsidence of the Bárðarbunga caldera continues and is now up to 23 meters.
Scientists flying over the area saw new tongues of lava breaking out from the main lava stream towards the east and west. The largest one of these lava tongues stretches towards the east and had become 300 m wide and 2 km long at 18:00 yesterday. An eruption cloud reaches 4 km in height but lowers with distance from the eruption site.

* Bold mine.

At the same time, if the earthquakes are anything to go, by the Dyngjujokull-Holuhraun swarm has returned back towards Bardarbunga and taken a deep dive

see graph below

compare with last few days
edit on 09u25725714 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: logicalview

www.jonfr.com...

He is, especially when it comes to Icelandic vulcanism. But none knows what's going to happen and how small or big this event is going to evolve into.

I don't consider his opinion "bleak" as a lot of other scenarios are still possible. There are 4 other volcanos that could be impacted if the total collopase of the Bardarbunga caldera happen. Because of the Icecap on Vatna is very difficult to have a clear vision of what's going on down there and this makes for a lot of unknown and unpredictibale factors.

Let's wait and see, while hoping for the best.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Another magnitude 5.3 quake at Barðarbunga. Nothing on the IMO Vatnajökull list yet.
USGS
EMSC

A correspondingly large drop of the GPS in the caldera happened at the same time.

Bardarðbunga GPS

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

Olivine,

They often filter those bigger ones out, till they're able to check them. Once checked it will appear on the map and at 99,00 in the table.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Nidwin
Yes, from what I've learned of the IMO system over the past few weeks, their automatic algorithms can't handle earthquakes over mag 4, because most of their seismometers are calibrated to detect smaller tremors.

So, at least for the moderate to strong quakes, we can expect quicker, and fairly accurate results from USGS, GEOFON, and EMSC using teleseismic data.

I need to make a comment. This is directed at no one in particular, it's just a peeve of mine.
[rant]
I've read too many comments (mostly on blogs) on the activity in Iceland, especially concerning the fissure eruption in Holuhraun, that mention "smoke" or "fire".

What people are actually seeing are volcanic gases and/or steam liberated from the glowing, hot molten rock.

Not fire. Nothing is burning. Therefore there is no smoke, because smoke is a product of combustion--and that isn't what is happening.

Even the term "volcanic ash" is misleading. It's actually pulverized rock. From USGS

Volcanic ash is not the product of combustion, like the soft fluffy material created by burning wood, leaves, or paper.

Thank you for allowing my pedantic vent.
I just don't want any of the great contributors here to be "that guy or gal"...
[/end rant]

edit on 9/15/2014 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Is that a new fissure to the left of the main eruption?
Can't see it on earlier images of cam1 but a faint wisp of steam/gas on cam2 @ 17:57:15

this is cam 1 full screen cropped

and can definitely see it now on cam 2 at 19:29:20

edit on 0900000025725714 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

edit: yeah its definitely showing clearer on wcam1 now live
dusk is definitely the clearest time, seen the glacier quite clear earlier, must be the angle/reflection of the Sun off the snow.
edit on 0900000025725714 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

edit2:
Wow, the lava flow along the ground is showing really clearly now at 8:21pm UTC (20:21)
edit on 09u25725714 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Philippines Evacuates More Than 12,000 over Volcano Eruption Threat: Reports

MOSCOW, September 16 (RIA Novosti) - More than 12,000 people have been forcibly evacuated in the Philippines as seismologists raise alert over the potential eruption of archipelago's most active volcano.

"We are now raising the alert status of Mayon Volcano from alert level 2 to 3," Renato Solidum, head of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs), said, as quoted by Reuters.

The volcano is located in the central Albay province on the Luzon Island, and has erupted at least 48 times since 1616.

Source

edit on 15-9-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ressiv

not sure when you posted this one?

If it was the 5.4 @ 15/09/2014 08:04:58
Lat: 64.612 Long: -17.435
Magnitude: 5.4 ML
Depth: 0.1 km

all I can say is

geez thats shallow
100 metres!!!
how deep is the snow on the side of Bardarbunga I wonder?
my maps shows it right on the edge of the SW rim

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Bardarbunga 15/09/2014 EQ Map and Time v Mag graph
some nice colours in the evening here web cams 15/09/2014

the Institute of Earth Sciences has nothing to say for the 15th, yet.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

I am taking a few days off due to rl.
My cousin rescued a person in mid-suicide, got them to the hospital in time and then was a nervous drek for several days later. (They survived, but it was one of his close friends....)
That and it seemed there was a day or so of not much changing news wise.
On top of that a wet surprise has pointed to a leaky roof.

I have tried to do the screen grabs as I remembered to to do them, among other crap.

Oh and there was a diatribe by someone, and I was trying to decide if it it was directed at us or if someone needed to go vent _elsewhere_. I am so not cut out to being the tactful, patient understanding type, when crap literally is falling out of the sky; or through the roof.

When it rains, it bloody pours.
M.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Just for Muzzy
(Well that and I had a few spare moments over my coffee.)

Slid about 45 cm after the quake this morning

www.ruv.is...

Vigorous shaking, 5.4 in size, became Bárðarbunga morning. According to the GPS device, which is in the midst Bárðarbunga cartons, carton slid by 20 inches when the quake was and another 25 centimeters over the next two to three hours after the quake.

This is the second earthquake of noon yesterday, which is over 5 size. About tvöleytið yesterday was shaking a size of 5.3 - showed that measurements of the box she was sunk by a few centimeters.

Gosmengun as bad for animals and humans
www.ruv.is...

Farmers in the areas where pollution from the eruption site, how could the greatest concern for the welfare of sheep still at ósmalað. Specialty Veterinarian with Food says pollution have the same irritating effect on animals and humans.

Advertise journeys into the closed area of ​​the eruption
www.ruv.is...

The area around the eruption site in the hollow lava is still closed to all traffic. Irritability may at companies in the travel industry not being able to go with tourists into the area. There are examples of companies advertise that they can take with tourists in the volcanic area despite it being banned.

M.
Photobucket link

s705.photobucket.com...
edit on 16-9-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-9-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
A spectacular time-elapsed video of Bardarbunga's eruption beneath the Northern Lights.

Northern Lights Appear Over Iceland's Bardarbunga

www.wsj.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join