It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2014

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Glacier Flood in Grímsvötn Volcano

A glacier outburst flood (jökulhlaup) has started in Grímsvötn volcano. According to measurements by the University of Iceland’s Institute of Earth Scientists, the water volume in Grímsvötn is similar to during the glacial outburst flood in November 2012, ruv.is reports.

Seems it started on Monday and is continuing

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Evacuations as Peru volcano rumbles to life

A volcano in Peru that has not blown its top in four decades spewed more ash skyward on Tuesday, after authorities evacuated villagers to avoid Ubinas's wrath.
The volcano in southwestern Peru blasted back to life causing about 60 villagers from Querapi, near its base, to be relocated Saturday, Ubinas town mayor Pascual Coaquira said.

Another one comes to life!

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Well this is really cool--confirmed volcano-tectonic action at Crater Lake.

A swarm of approximately 20 very small VT-type earthquakes occurred in the southeastern part of the Crater Lake caldera over the space of about 5 hours on April 8th.

CVO weekly report

A volcano tectonic earthquake is an earthquake induced by the movement (injection or withdrawal) of magma.[1]

I had looked at these that day, but I'm not able to tell a tectonic microquake from a VT signature....yet, I'm learning.

Here is a link to the spectrograms from the 8th

edit on 4/13/2014 by Olivine because: bad link

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Keep your peepers on the volcanoes. Ubinas is almost non-stop. Several others have just cooled their jets a bit. I really just wanted to note that it is very likely the Chilean earthquake is driving Ubinas. Which brings me to Momotombo. There is still a swarm as I write. It hasn't gained in strength, but seems prolonged at this point. Regular you may say. I was hoping it would tone down a bit but there does seemed to be something else near Momotombo. I looked on Volcano Discovery and there is a marker on the heat sensor. It's not at the volcano. It is nearer some smaller volcanoes. Maybe a glitch. I don't know. If anyone can take a look and find out what's what, that'd be good. Hekla also had a small swarm. Just some to watch.

webcams.volcanodiscovery.com...

I should add that the source maybe be a forest-fire.
edit on 15-4-2014 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Thank you for posting this,

Being a novice at this, I have learned to stay quiet, (or to look like a doom predictor).

I have been keeping an eye on the volcano's and the earthquakes, and I just seemed to think there was some kind of correlation.

Learning and loving it.

Thank you Olivine.

Peace,

Crappiekat

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
wats on with Borah Peaks Idaho?

RSOE EDIS Event Report - A warning issued today by the Ministry of the Russian Federal for Civil Defense, Emergencies and Elimination of Consequences of Natural Disasters (EMERCOM) has advised the World Organization of Volcano Observatories (WOVO) that a "Red Alert" status level for the Borah Peak Mountain in Idaho (North America/United States) may be warranted in the coming weeks due to increased volcanic-seismic activity detected by both ground and satellite observations. This is the second such warning issued by EMERCOM this year and follows their 24 January prediction that an earthquake and ensuing tsunami are ...

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Wow. Regression. At first I wasn't sure what they were talking about. But, when you realized they are talking about a beach moving back 16 meters, well, that's a sign. Along with the swarms, Momotomba seems to be threatening.

www.volcanodiscovery.com...

Also, Ubinas is almost constantly erupting and they have raised the alert level. And the Nicarguagan government has got that country on high alert for earthquakes, and a volcano, on a lake (phreatic eruption?).

Fuego is also energetic.

As some of you are aware, I am obsessed with water and magma. Here's what happens when water and magma meet when a new baby island is in the process of being brought up into air, and out of the ocean.

Phreatic baby.
www.volcanodiscovery.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ericblair4891

Thanks for the keeping an eye on all this activity eric. And the for the links. Here is a pic of the current eruption at Ubina s .

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Some crazy tremor activity happening near Askja volcano in Iceland, exact spot is Herðubreiðartögl (hard name, I know
). There has been over 500 quakes during last 48 hours, but most of them are very weak, only 18 quakes have been over magnitude 2. There is not yet signs of eruption, but I believe this belongs to this thread, as this seems to be volcanic origin. According to Jón Frímann, if the eruption happens, it will be Hawaiian type eruption with large lava flows.

I hope this activity doesn't affect to Askja volcano, as its one of those deadly volcanoes, very unpredictable one. When it erupted in 1875, it completely poisoned the Eastern Fjords, killing all the livestock there. The ash from eruption traveled all the way to Norway and Sweden. Before that, Askja was unknown. Last time it erupted in 1961, and people have predicted that another eruption is behind the corner. In April 2012 it was discovered that caldera was clear of ice. This doesn't normally happen until June or July. This might have been caused by geothermal activity.

en.vedur.is...=map
en.wikipedia.org...
www.jonfr.com...

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Thebel

The activity in Herðubreiðartögl is still continuing after over week. It seems that magnitudes are going down slowly but surely. You can see it clearly from tremor graph of Adalbol. I have no idea what is happening there. The intensity is too low to be precursor of volcanic eruption though. The quakes mostly are around magnitude 1 and less.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
This is the most activity I've seen near Mt. Shasta in a long while. Very small magnitudes, but worth noting.

source

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Sudden quake swarm near Bárðarbunga stratovolcano in Iceland. Its very powerful volcano, and recent activity suggest its still active. Its the second highest volcano in Iceland, rising 2,009 meters above sea level. Its also largest volcanic system in Iceland. It erupted last time in 1910, and historically it has erupted every 250-600 years, largest eruption being VEI-6. Its caldera is about 70 square kilometers and its covered in ice like most volcanoes in Iceland. Last quake swarm occurred in September 2010, with 30 quakes recorded, strongest being 3.5 and 3.7.

Now there was 3.7 magnitude earthquake at 0.8 kilometers deep (very shallow) and some smaller ones. Exiting times in Iceland now, as there is some minor activity.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Been up in New Plymouth, Taranaki NZ for the last 3 weeks working.
The weather here is mostly determined by "the mountain" as the locals call it
these pictures are taken from the south end of the building I'm working on
the volcano looks more startling (closer) in real life
those two photos were taken 3 days apart, snow in the first one had melted 3 days later

last erupted in 1854
info.geonet.org.nz...

edit on 05u13613614 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Taranaki volcano is a 5 hour climb to the summit, and best done in Summer, so being the middle of Winter I gave it a miss.
Something closer, and less risky, right in town is Paritutu (153 m or 502 ft high). Its a volcanic plug, and predates Taranaki by 1.7million years. I went to the local Museum and they have a feature on taranaki Volcanics. Apparently Taranaki grew and collapsed 3 times prior to the current shape it is now.
Paritutu is a pretty steep climb, took me about 20 minutes, out of breath had to stop a couple of times.
From the top you can look down on a couple of other volcanic plugs, Moturoa (the pointy one) and Motumahanga (Saddleback) and a couple of other cones sticking out of the sea, the islands together are called the Sugar Loaf Islands an are believed to be the remains of a ring fracture or feeders to eroded volcanic vents, and are composed of a porphyritic hornblende andesite.
Here are a few "holiday snaps" of the climb and the view, although the holiday is only a break from work for a day.
The group of volcanic plugs

Paritutu from the base

the top half of the climb has a chain on poles you can hold onto to pull yourself up

view south from the top, thats the base of Taranaki under the clouds. Looks about the same as Mt Etna did when I went there in the 1980's

view north over the city of New Plymouth

looking down on Moturoa (the pointy one)

looking down on Motumahanga (Saddleback)

These volcanic plugs are quite common in the North of the North Island as well, up Whangarei way, erroded plugs everywhere, and also over in Queensland, Australia too. Remnants of a section of the Australasian Plate that has changed considerably over time.
I keep one eye on the Taranaki area on my NZ Earthquake maps blog, its always active, but never anything serious, most of the bigger events are offshore in the South Taranaki Bight. Activity the last few years seems the be concentrated in the Newall area to the West of the 'mountain"
Or for a quick look at recent Taranaki quakes here www.geonet.org.nz...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
“Mountain of Spirits” Sangeang Api volcano erupts in Indonesia.
Has been on high alert for a while.

www.wired.com...

www.independent.co.uk...
Other Links:
en.wikipedia.org...
www.dailymail.co.uk... qSR

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: SeekingDepth

kind of makes giving up smoking cigs to save the environment a pretty futile gesture

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...
just seen this in my news feed tonite

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
A couple of volcanic events that certainly did not make the main news sources

‘Volcano-like eruption’ in Himachal Pradesh

SHIMLA: Reports of a "volcano-like eruption" in Kangra district in Himachal Pradesh has triggered panic among the people of the area.

Flames and a hot liquid stream were seen spewing out of a hill 100 m from Gadiyada village. The village is over 200 km from Shimla.

After a report by the state geologists confirmed the eruption as 'small magmatic activity', a team of Geological Survey of India (GSI) reached the site on Thursday. This is the first time such a volcanic activity has been witnessed in the state.

Fearing that a bigger eruption could damage their agricultural land and houses, residents of around half a dozen villages in the vicinity of the eruption are anxiously awaiting the final report of GSI team.

"Gases and liquids are being emitted from holes in a 10 feet area around the hill where the volcanic activity took place," said Ved Prakash, president of Drang panchayat. He said the eruption, unheard of in this area, caused panic among villagers.

See the link above for more

This was a difficult one to find as the insignificant report I got did not even have a link that worked.

Gunma volcano warning issued (Japan) by the way.

The Meteorological Agency is warning that Mount Kusatsushirane, located between Gunma and Nagano prefectures, could erupt on a small scale and has warned people not to approach the crater.

The agency raised the alert level to 2 from 1 on the scale of 5, and advised that large pieces of volcanic cinder could be scattered up to 1 km from the summit of the 2,160-meter mountain.

The warning was issued Tuesday after the agency’s advisory panel on volcanic eruptions compiled a report indicating the mountain is showing signs of activity.

See the link above for more info.

Click the image to enlarge

See my signature for the Weekly Geophysical report of 06 June when it is ready.

Volcanoes on the chart that have erupted this week contributing to the chart - 6 (in terms of the criteria)
  • Cleveland Chuginadak Island
  • Dukono (Halmahera Indonesia)
  • Pavlof (United States)
  • Sangeang Api (Indonesia)
  • Shiveluch (Kamchatka. Russia)
  • Ubinas (Peru)

Volcanoes on the chart that show signs of unrest this week - 38 (not status 1 or aviation green)
  • Anak Krakatau (Indonesia)
  • Bagana (Papua New Guinea)
  • Batu Tara (Sunda Islands Indonesia)
  • Chaparrastique [San Miguel] (El Salvador)
  • Chirinkotan (Russia)
  • Chirpoi [Snow](Russia)
  • Colima (México)
  • Copahue (Chile)
  • Etna (Sicily Italy)
  • Fuego (Guatemala)
  • Heard (Australia)
  • Ibu (Halmahere - Indonesia)
  • Karangetang [Api Siau] (Indonesia)
  • Kelut (E. Java. Indonesia)
  • Kirishimayama (Shinmoedake) (Japan)
  • Kusatsu-Shiranesan (Japan)
  • Lewotobi Perempuan (Indonesia)
  • Lokon-Empung (Indonesia)
  • Mount Bromo ( Indonesia.)
  • Nishino-shima (Japan)
  • Nyamuragira Democratic Republic Of Congo
  • Pacaya  (Guatemala)
  • Paluweh [Rokatenda] (Lesser Sunda Islands)
  • Poas (Costa Rica)
  • Popocatépetl (México)
  • Raung (East Java Indonesia)
  • Reventador (Ecuador)
  • Semeru (E Java. Indonesia)
  • Shishaldin (Fox Islands. USA)
  • Sinabung (Indonesia)
  • Slamet volcano (West Java)
  • Soputan (Indonesia)
  • Suwanose-jima (Ryuku Islands)
  • Tungurahua (Ecuador)
  • Ulawun (New Britain Papua New Guinea)
  • Unnamed (Gadiyada village - India)
  • Veniaminof (United States)
  • Mount Oyama (Miyake-jima - Izu Islands)

edit on 7/6/2014 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: PuterMan

I can't find any more info on that "volcano-like" eruption in India--very curious!

In other volcano news, Mauna Loa is showing tiny signs of activity, and it looks like Mt. Etna is clearing her throat after many weeks of quiet.

You can see the brown plume in this web cam image found on the volcano discovery page of Etna.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Nice "near-live" views of the Strombolian activity at Mt. Etna from the Etna Walk webcam.

She's back

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join