It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2014

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Moshpet
some pretty dramatic images on that german vid, you can see the cones building right there in front of you

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzy
may have just been clouds
but you can see the steam just over the brow of the hill, coming from the river, or is it clouds too?
good screenshot, saved that one, thanks

Steam from what I can tell

Can you get/watch video from Twitch TV? www.twitch.tv...

If Bardarbunga (the volcano proper) goes pop I will try and stream the Bardarbunga cams through there.
It may take some technical jiggery-pokery on my end, but should be do able.

M.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Skip down a bit to get to the meat of the story:

www.jonfr.com...

The caldera in Bárðarbunga volcano is dropping and it is dropping fast. According to latest news from Rúv (see link below) the caldera is dropping up to 90 cm/day. That is a huge drop for a mountain. There is also clue that central part of the caldera floor is now so soft that it no longer breaks and creates earthquakes, it is just buckling under the strain. This increases the risk of eruption in the central caldera up to almost certainty levels (for me that is 96+% chance of happening). The latest news from Rúv tell that the thickness of the glacier in the central part of the glacier is up to 850 meters thick. Since last Saturday the caldera has dropped 2 – 3 meters, meaning that current drop is now around 18,5 meters.

Lot of images & daily updates here.
www.discover-geography.co.uk...

M.
edit on 8-9-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

PDF update on the Region by Iceland Met Office.
en.vedur.is...

In the surveillance flight yesterday the ice-surface at Bárðarbunga was measured with the radar system of Isavia’s aircraft. The measurements show large changes on the ice-surface. Up to 15 m subsidence has occurred in the centre of the caldera, which corresponds to a volume change of 0.25 km3. The shape of the subsidence area is in accordance with the elevation of the caldera floor having lowered by that
amount.

o Subsidence of this order has not been observed in Iceland since
measurements of crustal movements started around the middle of last
century.
o No signs of eruption or increased geothermal activity in the Bárðarbunga
caldera are observed.
o The volume of the subsidence in Bárðarbunga is considerable portion of the
total volume of the magma dyke.
o The most probable explanation is that this subsidence is related to the recent
high seismic activity and subsurface magma flow to the northeast.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Early Dusk images:

Cam1

Cam2

Lot of steam now at cam 1

Cam 2, the fissure looks like it is trying to flip us off

Great picture

via Daniel Martín ‏@Platinspa 3m
Foto de la erupción en Holuhraun, Islandia. Vía Sagatravel.is
#Bardarbunga pic.twitter.com/wwWUDMMgeD

M.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
yeah I think so, on Chrome,
won't work on Firefox.
I have changed my data plan to "unlimited" as these live streaming vids (on u-tube up till now" and another site I'll call "pepper") gobble up the data real quick. Just hope the ISP keeps working.

edit on 0900000025025014 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

None of the twitter links open, not sure how that works, I don't get involved in Twitter or Facebook at all.
edit on 09u25025014 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
twitter.com...

try to link direct on the twitter post maybe it will help you

using the picture post icon in here will link only to picture uploaded to ats. if you want to link a twitter picture use the url link like a webpage
edit on 8-9-2014 by Dolby_X because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Those who know me from Quake Watch will know that my main interest is the seismicity, so with no data I can't do much!

originally posted by: muzzy
hraun.vedur.is...
[Skjálftalisti]
Gogn ekki tiltaek
Data not available
WTFudge?

For the sake of continuity I have used data compiled by Steinar, which contains events with over 90.01% quality. The map and graph for 07/09/2014 reflect this data, it is not final. 7th Sept UTC maps+graph+text
90.01-90.19% quality is better than NO data at all !
Only 60 events on the 7th, which does match the Institute of Earth Sciences comment "The seismicity has reduced since yesterday" Yeah ... half
On to the web cams!, its a mission sorting that Iceland/UTC date out, I have a few that were up to 4 hours old when I took the screenshot in NZST, so have to deduct the time lapse, then there is Moshpets MST to convert.
I hope this stands the test of time.

I most likely will go back and update it with IMO data when it comes back on.
I had a similar situation with Turkey Earthquakes last year, got better data from the Govt Emergency Web site that I had previously been using from the Bogazici University Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute, so I switched over, then after about 6 months the Govt site went offline, I had to revert to Kandilli and go back and change all the archived data and maps.
Luckily I get quite a bit of free time, I'm semi-retired and work outdoors, we get a lot of rain here so I get plenty of indoor time to fiddle around with this stuff.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Dolby_X

good call, works!
geez you can feel the heat in your face from here 17,250 km away!

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Ok

I did the tech stuff on my end and I can stream live from Mila via my twitch channel, if and when the big B pops.

It likely will not be fancy and you will be stuck with my music.

When it does (if it does) go boom I'll put the Twitch info here for the ATS Volcano fiends.

M.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
A Truck and Humans at the Radar dome right now!
geez its big, about 18ft tall!
I got a sshot

full size image

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I wonder how the tech crew for the radar feel about being that close to a volc/steam event

M.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
ha you got one too.

That steam in front of the radar is going to change the images for a while by the look of it, great, it was getting a bit boring, like watching the weather cams here back home.
it looks like the steam is right below the edge of the dome the camera is on, but the eruption is about 18km away, I reckon the lava/river/steam location to be 64.920466°, -16.617391°, which is about 7km away from the camera. (based on the lava flow map
I'm glad we are doing this as it, as will become a good record of the events over time.

another full size screenshot
probably enjoying the moment, big flare up

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I have the ability to save the video, just no drive large enough to hold too much.
Twitch used to auto save the files you camed, though that seems to have changed.
My test stream was 30fps which is good enough to see everything without all the digital squares.
If I am lucky I can find a good external (huge) drive cheap before Bigbaddaboom.

Ah well.

M.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
the maintenance crew vehicle is still there, I wonder if they are going to stay overnight?

edit; na, gone home now 22:10:27UTC

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
On the petrology of the Holuhraun lava - Guðmundur Heiðar Guðfinnsson and Sigurður Jakobsson
earthice.hi.is...

Mon, 09/08/2014 - 20:14 -- rosa
Inspection of rock samples from Holuhraun lava indicates that the erupted magma contains minor amount of plagioclase phenocrysts (

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Via Univ. of Iceland ‏@uni_iceland
The #Holuhraun lava meets Jökulsá á Fjöllum glacial river tonight. Credit: William Morelamd #Bardarbunga

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Another high 4-pointer quake just happened at Iceland.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Confirmed this, I've no info on the 4+ quake.

JUST IN: M5.4 #earthquake near #Bardarbunga #volcano at 9:07p ET; strongest since Aug. 26 wxch.nl...

Looks like a hour prior to this there was another biggie. (Might have been the 4?)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Bright moon tonight

Though you could not tell it by cam 2

M.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
just having a look through the lists, the last list that is available right now is vika 32 which runs to 2014/08/10 23:42:37
hraun.vedur.is...
all the rest are Gogn ekki tiltaek (Data not available)
I wonder if they are having a massive update of reviewed data?,
or a cover up?

this is a conspiracy site after all, I had to ask the question

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join